What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Getting off the "Bottle".... how I DIY ALL my nutes.

Old Uncle Ben

Well it's not a cal deficiency. Must be mag. Or nitrogen. Something tells me you'd say if you knew.

Uncle ben you've officially been added to the guru list.

Micros aka trace elements. Looking at the leaves suggests either Zn or Fe. Herein lies the problem with "bloom" foods, they usually induce micro deficiencies. Goes hand in hand with low N foods, another reason why I preach the use of a balanced food with a good micros "package" start to finish. By "balanced" I mean a NPK ratio close to a 1-1-1 or preferably a 3-1-2.

2nd, as folks throw stuff at their faves like epsom salts or CalShit per the usual forum mis-diagnosis, they don't know what to look for adding one thing or another exacerbating the problem. For example, Mg deficiencies start at the lower leaves working its way up mid level showing some chlorosis and/or the leaves going light/pale yellow. I see little, if any at all Mg chlorosis at IC Mag.

Micro deficiencies are always reflected in the upper level leaves.

For lack of having an example of cannabis chlorosis in my gardens past and present, here's a recent pic I took of some nasty chlorosis going on with my Meyer lemon tree. Since been corrected with Peters 25-5-15.

Greenhouse citrus got hit hard with spider mites too which will turn the leaves a pale green. Mites love cannabis. As an aside, picked 233 of this incredible fruit this year. Makes for some great lemon bars. We just made those bars today but using my Persian limes instead of lemons. 2 TB. of fresh zest makes them.

MeyerDec16#2.jpg

Good luck,
Uncle Ben

xtsho

Micros aka trace elements. Looking at the leaves suggests either Zn or Fe. Herein lies the problem with "bloom" foods, they usually induce micro deficiencies. Goes hand in hand with low N foods, another reason why I preach the use of a balanced food with a good micros "package" start to finish. By "balanced" I mean a NPK ratio close to a 1-1-1 or preferably a 3-1-2.

2nd, as folks throw stuff at their faves like epsom salts or CalShit per the usual forum mis-diagnosis, they don't know what to look for adding one thing or another exacerbating the problem. For example, Mg deficiencies start at the lower leaves working its way up mid level showing some chlorosis and/or the leaves going light/pale yellow. I see little, if any at all Mg chlorosis at IC Mag.

Micro deficiencies are always reflected in the upper level leaves.

For lack of having an example of cannabis chlorosis in my gardens past and present, here's a recent pic I took of some nasty chlorosis going on with my Meyer lemon tree. Since been corrected with Peters 25-5-15.

Greenhouse citrus got hit hard with spider mites too which will turn the leaves a pale green. Mites love cannabis. As an aside, picked 233 of this incredible fruit this year. Makes for some great lemon bars. We just made those bars today but using my Persian limes instead of lemons. 2 TB. of fresh zest makes them.

View attachment 18937077

Good luck,
Uncle Ben

I love the CalShit terminology. :love:

It's crazy how so many seem to think calmag is some kind of magic potion. Many don't even understand that it's just Ca and Mg. I've seen so many threads over the years where someone is having issues and then you hear that they're growing in soil that already contains adequate amounts of calcium, using tap water which has calcium, and adding calmag every watering along with whatever nutrient they're using which also has more than enough calcium. Now they're turning their soil calcareous which will cause deficiencies. Calcium is antagonistic with many nutrients.

It gets annoying seeing some yahoo with 16 bottles of nonsense and crappy looking plants telling some new grower to add more stuff to fix problems caused by using too much stuff.

This is what's printed on the label of the VitaGrow I use sometimes.

overfeeding.jpg

negative37dBA

Veteran
Running Jacks at full strength this go round. Feel like I have been taking it to easy on the plants considering the high powered system I have. So we are at day 26 and running a 1.5 EC. Have been for at least 2 weeks. Kept it at .08 to 1.0 EC the first 2 weeks. Plants are doing well but are showing some signs of tip burn. Not so hung up on that as I used to be. The plants are telling me they are right at their limit. My co2 levels that are natural may be my limiting factor. I also have a VPD that is way off from ideal. No way I am getting my humidity up to 55 without some changes. It usually sits at 30 if I am lucky. Still feeling great about where we sit.
I have stopped using any cal mag which I make myself in a 3 part solution. I am finding that they are not needing it with the full strength Jacks helping out. Looking forward to seeing what the next few weeks will bring.
GG4 clone only. The original and the best. Day 26 of flower.
IMG_8209 - Copy.JPG

Had to tie down one excited girl reaching high...
IMG_8217 - Copy.JPG

Have a sweet day. Peace, negative.

CharlesU Farley

How’d you get your name negative? ✌️
I'm always fascinated why people choose certain nyms, especially the ones that aren't blatantly obvious.

I'm almost afraid, given the ancient and obscure reference I'm about to use but...does your name have anything to do with admiration for a U.S. cannabis seed seller that used to work in HVAC? You probably have no idea what I'm taking about... and that will be a _good_ thing.;)

A Getting Off The Bottle thread will always get my attention.:cool:

negative37dBA

Veteran
I'm always fascinated why people choose certain nyms, especially the ones that aren't blatantly obvious.

I'm almost afraid, given the ancient and obscure reference I'm about to use but...does your name have anything to do with admiration for a U.S. cannabis seed seller that used to work in HVAC? You probably have no idea what I'm taking about... and that will be a _good_ thing.;)

A Getting Off The Bottle thread will always get my attention.:cool:
I know exactly who you are talking about...lol. It did not come from that but that's a good guess. My name comes from a particular device that when placed on another particular device lowers sound levels...
Have a sweet day. Peace, negative.

Persianfarmer

Yes Sir...this is what I am talking about. We can do more with less. Quit getting played by fancy packaging and salesman speak. I don't know about you guys but I always feel better about doing something myself than paying for it to be done. Great work PolyChucker.
Love to hear more of these stories.
Peace, negative.
Hi Guys!
Very interesting info. Was just wondering if you had any recipe or tips for someone like me that grows outdoors? Also I cannot get my hands on these products, so is there recipes that you might suggest for DIY organic soil growth for outdoors?
Thanks and respect,
PF

negative37dBA

Veteran
I do not do organic in any way so I have no info for you there. You are somewhere that you cannot get raw nutrients?? That seems weird. Do they grow food where you live?? How do those people get ferts? If you have no ability to get any of these items or something comparable I have no idea how to give you a recipe. I am not used to NOT being able to get anything so that's a new one for me.
Have a great day all. Peace, negative.

Persianfarmer

I do not do organic in any way so I have no info for you there. You are somewhere that you cannot get raw nutrients?? That seems weird. Do they grow food where you live?? How do those people get ferts? If you have no ability to get any of these items or something comparable I have no idea how to give you a recipe. I am not used to NOT being able to get anything so that's a new one for me.
Have a great day all. Peace, negative.
Well I live in Iran and of course there are chemical fertilizers but as I like to be very green and create my own fertz and do not have access to all those brands I meant. Was wondering if I could replicate them naturally. Like for example making Lacto B from scratch (which I do) or making blackstrap molasse from sugarcane leftovers etc… Anyways very kind for you to have taken the time to respond