What's new

Getting off the "Bottle".... how I DIY ALL my nutes.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Dropping a couple photos here to bump this back up. Some good info here and it has been awhile. Get off that bottle....lol.
gg4 3rd week - Copy.jpg

gg4 4th weeks day 32 - Copy.jpg

Some more GG4 clone only, what a surprise from me right...lol. These are near end week 3 and start of week 4. All homemade dry nutes, no bought bottles. Glue is looking fire as always. Starting to frost up. This is just 1 plant in my RDWC. Love the fact that it costs me about $25.00 us to get through a 10 week cycle for POWER and nutes...hehe. When a single GOOD ounce cost $300.00 here in a dispo. And good is debatable. I laugh all the way to the bank. Have a great day all!

tronkyx

Dropping a couple photos here to bump this back up. Some good info here and it has been awhile. Get off that bottle....lol.
View attachment 18873962
View attachment 18873963
Some more GG4 clone only, what a surprise from me right...lol. These are near end week 3 and start of week 4. All homemade dry nutes, no bought bottles. Glue is looking fire as always. Starting to frost up. This is just 1 plant in my RDWC. Love the fact that it costs me about $25.00 us to get through a 10 week cycle for POWER and nutes...hehe. When a single GOOD ounce cost $300.00 here in a dispo. And good is debatable. I laugh all the way to the bank. Have a great day all!
Can you please whats your recipe of your homemade dry nutes? I know there's info in the first page, but I want to get the updated version of your recipe. Thanks in advance.

Tronkyx

negative37dBA

Veteran
So I have not updated a thing from when this thread was first posted. Not really needing to repost all the recipes again....they are all in the thread right near the start.
I use Jacks 3-2-1 for my main food.
Make my own 3 part cal mag from dry.
I use a MPK additive that I also mix from dry during flower.
Silica during veg and first couple weeks of flower I make from dry to.
The only thing that I do that is different from other people is I make it into a liquid concentrate so its easier to use.
I use no adds like sugars or flushing agents or any other beneficials. It is really just that easy. The only thing you need is excellent quality start water and a good scale.
Jacks
Cal mag
MPK
Silica
0 PPM UV filter R/O water. Less can be more and the money savings is super nice.
That's all folks to make super high quality meds.....
Here is a couple shots of day 35. GG4 clone only in RDWC. 1 plant...kicking ass!!
IMG_7769 - Copy.JPG
IMG_7774 - Copy.JPG

Hope you all have a great day and stay off that bottle...lol.
Peace, negative.

mountainoutlaw

Ive never been on the bottle, per say, but im very proud of all you that have recovered.

All of you that are reading this and still on the bottle, just know there is hope, and you too can recover. You there, with the advanced nutrients jugs hid there under the bathroom sink, you there, with the big bud juice inconspicously disguised as powerade....we know...we can smell it on ya. We are here to support those of you who wish to recover

Heres a little bloom formula i been doing, and really helps terps and flower development. This is a small batch concentrate, this will treat 16-20g

IMG_20230808_151704519_HDR.jpg

Start off boiling up some fresh banana peels. This is one gallon water, i boil, simmer, and reboil, until about one third gallon left...
Then strain.

When still warm I add 10-12 tables spoons of unsulfured black strap molasses ($2.77)

IMG_20230808_194822422.jpg

Now fill up that gallon jug, fill rest with water until your back to a gallon....

I add 1 teaspoon plus another 1/8th teaspoonof RAW phosphorus from NPK labratories ($7.97) (one pouch equals 200 gallons)

IMG_20230808_153223203.jpg

Now...the finnisher...

a good 2 teaspoons of epsom salt, and a good table spoon of ol mega crop (to add some extra fulvic acids, N, ect ect, micros, ect), and a pinch of kelp extract.

Side note $: epsom salt, was 2.37 at big store
I got 3lbs of mega crop and 7oz kelp extract from greenleafnutrients. 9.75 for both ....promo (hint hint)

Now all i do is shake it up, and for smaller plants and autos i may do 3/4 cup of this mix per gallon, and big phenos get 1 cup per gallon....i do this not as a Sole flower nute but i use it a few consectutive times in mid flower and late, also in preflower to gettem charged.

Seems to be working.....

Screenshot_20230815-100546.png
IMG_20230811_125346223.jpg

Last edited:

mountainoutlaw

Also I top dress here and there with this. $6.95. Organic
pretty much just feather and bone meal with poultry manure in little slow release balls.
Also has alot of calcium.
This really helps feed during frequent rains. Got bacteriums as well
IMG_20230811_153704004.jpg

IMG_20230811_153724427_HDR.jpg

Tip: This stuff will be half off at big stores soon, out of season.

Also has 1.6percent sulfur, really under rated micro when it comes to flowering. Imo

Last edited:

negative37dBA

Veteran
We are kicking along here in week 7! Showing a little bit of K def. I have used more MPK this run but I tend to change things gradually, not quickly. I find that approach works best for me. No worries, they are frosting up like mad and the smell is heavy. Couple more weeks to go.
Have a new project that I will be showcasing here soon. Whole new strain that has not been done before. I searched high and low to see if someone had done this cross and could not find it. I have my GG4 clone only female that I crossed with Vaders Dough G male. I have MANY seeds and have grown out some to seedling stage. Going to let them sex first then start up a thread. It may be some real good smoke.
Have a sweet day. Peace, negative.
Here's the GG4 in week 7.
IMG_7794 - Copy.JPG

IMG_7796 - Copy.JPG

negative37dBA

Veteran
Ok, couple more posts and I will let this thread rest for a bit. Start week 8 here. Yes K def and a bit less N would have helped out. I ran the lights harder this run. Kept PPFD levels to right around 1k at the tops. They would have benefitted from more K and less N. Good news is they reek like hell and the buds are swelling nicely...especially for the Glue.
Drying a early sample as I speak. Louped them this AM and the tops are getting milky...even 1 or 2 ambers here and there. Kind of quick for the Glue in my experience. I normally let them go 9 or 10. Looks like maybe the increased PPFD levels helped things along a bit. Might be able to take it at end of 8 weeks.
Gonna do a water change Tuesday. Just plain water from here on...woot!
IMG_7846 - Copy.JPG

Have a sweet day. Peace, negative.

Week 4

What's everyone's take on using hard tap water in your grows? Say the tap water is at a pH of 8.2 and the ppms are 350... hard water correct? The bottled version of dropping the pH would be some phosphoric acid. The organic solution might be maybe vinegar? If it's vinegar would that be detrimental in the long term use to the soil? I've gotten arguments that the fungi and root systems make their own acids when the need comes for some calcium...but I'm thinking it's when they need it, if we're watering in a weekly basis with some vinegar in the water ...bad?

negative37dBA

Veteran
What's everyone's take on using hard tap water in your grows? Say the tap water is at a pH of 8.2 and the ppms are 350... hard water correct? The bottled version of dropping the pH would be some phosphoric acid. The organic solution might be maybe vinegar? If it's vinegar would that be detrimental in the long term use to the soil? I've gotten arguments that the fungi and root systems make their own acids when the need comes for some calcium...but I'm thinking it's when they need it, if we're watering in a weekly basis with some vinegar in the water ...bad?
My take is a big NO. I like to start with a clean slate, O ppm, R/O, UV sterilized water. That way I get NO surprises. Do not have to use anything to "correct" my start water. I have had excellent results using this method.
Took down the Glue today...day 57. Prob the earliest I have ever taken a Glue crop down but they were ready. The reek is off the charts and looking forward to getting this cured up. Frosty as f*ck as per usual with the GG4. Jacks 3-2-1 for the WIN!
IMG_7876 - Copy.JPG

IMG_7883 - Copy.JPG

IMG_7879 - Copy.JPG

Have a sweet day all!
Peace, negative.

RottyRzr

@negative37dBA Nice thread. I skimmed through the whole thing and have to ask where you get your iron chelate 5% powder? I searched online and couldn't find it. I looked at the pic on page 1 but cant see a brand name on the bag.
If I have iron chelate with a higher percentage, how would I do the math to be able to use it? I know you said you weren't any good at math and I'm even worse!

negative37dBA

Veteran
Thanks for that RottyRzr. The iron chelate is available online. Check ebay and there are many examples. If you get something that is not 5% should be pretty easy to figure. I mean a 10% and you would use 1/2 the amount. If it was 7.5% then you would use 3/4 of the amount. You should be able to replicate real closely. I see that 5% is around tho for sure.
Here is a whole room shot or nearly from couple days before the choppy.
IMG_7860 - Copy.JPG

Been smoking some quick dry samples and it hits hard. The last Glue run I did was a seed run. It was great but you can tell a bit of difference. So much of the energy went to seeds not TCH coated glands.... Nice to have a seedless run again...
Have a sweet day! Peace, negative.

Verdant Whisperer

where i am located you can buy the base nutrients without a license I spent a while studying the ingredients used in cannabis nutes and the specific ratios and came up with my own cannabis nute line that I made and bottled at my house with the base ingredients. I've used them and sold a few rounds to friends who have used and have had good success. I have no background in chemistry or special degrees just a devoted grower who didn't want to pay prices for nutes, and the non-cannabis nutrients didn't have the nutrient levels i was looking for. I have a great product but never went far due to lack of ambition and more interest in organic style gardening, these nutrient recipes worked excellent in growing substrate/soil mixes i have not tried in hydroponics. This is my gift to the cannabis community; My true desire is to breed and preserve certain landrace strains I want and make f1's for commercial production. when it is fully legalized where I live. I even measured PPM's and made a feed chart. Most people are too lazy to mix their own and would rather get robbed by nutrient companies, this formula is a gift and should only be used for personal use, it is not to be replicated for distribution or any Finacial gain. I use a basic micro nutrient in the formula, in my formula i use nutrex micros that has good ratio for cannabis needs. Im going to start a seperate thread also so i can share this formula and hear back experiences.
Hybrid/Hydroponics Cannabis Nutrients:
  1. Grow (3.6-2.2-5.6):
  • 12.6% Potassium Nitrate
  • 3.5% Mono-Ammonium Phosphate
  • 3.5% Ammonium Nitrate
  • 1% Micronutrients
  1. Bloom (1.5-6.1-4.3):
  • 7% Mono-Ammonium Phosphate
  • 5.25% Potassium Nitrate
  • 3.5% Mono-Potassium Phosphate
  • 1.75% Potassium Sulfate
  • 1% Micronutrients
  1. Finisher (1.8-3.6-7):
  • 9% Potassium Nitrate
  • 5% Mono-Ammonium Phosphate
  • 5% Potassium Sulfate
  • 1% Mono-Potassium Phosphate
  • 0.5% Micronutrients
  1. Ca/Mg (2.1-0-0):
  • 2.65% Calcium
  • 1.2% Magnesium
  • 10.85% Calcium Nitrate
  • 7.35% Magnesium Nitrate

Weeks 1-8: Vegetative Growth with Flower, Grow, and Ca/Mg:
Week
Grow (ml/gallon)
Flower (ml/gallon)
Ca/Mg (ml/gallon)
Total (ml/gallon)

Weeks 9-16: Transition to Flowering with Flower, Grow, Ca/Mg, and Finisher:
Week
Grow (ml/gallon)
Flower (ml/gallon)
Ca/Mg (ml/gallon)
Finisher (ml/gallon)
Total (ml/gallon)

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Using tap water with a pH of 8.5 and ppm of 350 will contaminate the soil with impurities in the long run. Using water and adding enough acid to drop the pH to 6.2 will leave a by-product behind in the mix.

Using RO or Rainwater will beat the water above in quality and in overall harvest. Hard water with a high buffering content will block macro and micronutrients by the end of flowering.

Week 4

Using tap water with a pH of 8.5 and ppm of 350 will contaminate the soil with impurities in the long run. Using water and adding enough acid to drop the pH to 6.2 will leave a by-product behind in the mix.

Using RO or Rainwater will beat the water above in quality and in overall harvest. Hard water with a high buffering content will block macro and micronutrients by the end of flowering.
I was with that (Ro filtering) for 2 years and almost tempted to go back to tap water, from the title of this thread I'm surprised with all the synthetic nutrient suggestions here. Talking to a group of Korean Natural Farmers and it seems like you can't get any more "organic" than with the KNF grow style. They make ALL of their nutrients from scratch. (I'm currently brewing my own lactic acid bacteria, LAB) I was told that brown rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar would break the calcium carbonate bond to a usable calcium for the plants, and that these vinegars benefit the soil as well. So seems to good to be true but talking to KNF growers from Canada to the UK they all swear up and down by this system.

Brown Rice Vinegar facilitates vegetative growth. It helps to form the wax layer on leaves, creating resistance to diseases and insects. BRV can sterilise and restrain bacterial growth, maximise calcium's effect, and accelerate reproductive growth.

Last edited:

negative37dBA

Veteran
"from the title of this thread I'm surprised with all the synthetic nutrient suggestions here."
Yeah never said it was going to be organic in ANY way. Organics don't work in RDWC. Synthetic would indicate not natural...these are all natural obtained minerals....
Definition of Synthetic...
(of a substance) made by chemical synthesis, especially to imitate a natural product. These dont imitate they are natural products.... Salt based ferts are not synthetic....they are minerals....
Have a sweet day.
Peace negative.

Week 4

"from the title of this thread I'm surprised with all the synthetic nutrient suggestions here."
Yeah never said it was going to be organic in ANY way. Organics don't work in RDWC. Synthetic would indicate not natural...these are all natural obtained minerals....
Definition of Synthetic...
(of a substance) made by chemical synthesis, especially to imitate a natural product. These dont imitate they are natural products.... Salt based ferts are not synthetic....they are minerals....
Have a sweet day.
Peace negative.
how did I get into a deep water culture thread ... 😂