What's new

Getting off the "Bottle".... how I DIY ALL my nutes.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Here are the PPMs for flora vs jacks. Beside some micros, i put recommended ranges. View attachment 18771772
Thanks legal! So I'm not giving plants boron with just 6/9. Sometimes I use silica product that has boron in it, but I just finished off a bottle of mammoth silica and that doesn't have it. And since I ran out ive just been sprinkling recycleSil on top my pots every once in a while.
But no signs of a deficiency. I'm guessing it's in my spring water. I looked up boron deficiency symptoms pics, the only time I've seen something like that is when pumps fail and coco goes dry. Then I read the article it says that boron deficiency usually shows up in drought.
I also notice the sulphur is lower on my 6/9. For a couple grows I was following the original h3ads method at the beginning of H3ad's thread where you add Epsom salt first. And I was getting spots on the veins of the older fan leaves. No problems with the buds that I noticed, but I looked at the thread again and Head dropped stopped using the Epsom salts further in the thread because he ran out and didn't see any issues. Once I stopped the Epsom I never saw those vein spots again.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Is there boron in the Grow bottle?
And if boron def shows up in times of drought could it mean that if I did give my plants boron they would be more drought resistant? I'm not sure if that makes sense.

Legalcdn

Is there boron in the Grow bottle?
And if boron def shows up in times of drought could it mean that if I did give my plants boron they would be more drought resistant? I'm not sure if that makes sense.
No boron in the grow.
I have been looking at the PPMs, Masterblend has really good ratios. They have a 4-18-38 and a 5-11-26.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Use *some* epsom a few times and you should notice a positive difference in terpene production vs. none. :)

When your plant needs extra of something for systems which combat stress, it is natural for the deficiency to show when it is actively needed during stress.

Edit: Buuuuuuuuuny shiiiiiiiiiiiiit. ;) Iiiiit's in there!

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Hi all. Keep pushing this to the top see people can see whats up!
This week lets go over making Botanicare's Hydroguard or a version of it...
I use this always, in every rez. I have had trouble with the company I got it form before so searched out a new source...think I have a good 1.
I am going to use this.
View attachment 18768928
It is a super concentrate of the same ingredient, Bacillus amyloliquefaciens, but at a much higher level per ML. Botanicares is 10,000 CFU's per ML. This is 10 BILLION CFU's per ML...lol...a bit more eh? So you can use it as is in a VERY small amount. Or you can mix a stock solution similar to the strength of Hydroguard and use it the same way.
It goes a long way to. This product is about half of what 1, 32 oz bottle of Hydroguard costs. It will make 96- ish gallons at Hydroguards concentration......hahahahahha. Man these nute companies must laugh all the way to the bank! If you break that down it costs about .04 cents to make a QT.
This is the first time I have used this and will report back on my results. I feel like it will go great tho.
Peace, negative.

My revitalize came today.
How are you making a gallon of hydrogaurd?
I see you say 96 gallons but isn't that still a million times the cfu of hydrogaurd?
The cool part about the revitalize is it can be used to combat some of my biggest problems outdoors. Cercospora, Septoria, and Botrytis!!
Thanks so much for turning me on to this product.
I'd like to use it as a hydrogaurd replacement and as a foliar spray. What a major score!!

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Use *some* epsom a few times and you should notice a positive difference in terpene production vs. none. :)

When your plant needs extra of something for systems which combat stress, it is natural for the deficiency to show when it is actively needed during stress.

Edit: Buuuuuuuuuny shiiiiiiiiiiiiit. ;) Iiiiit's in there!
I was thinking maybe doing foliar Epsom sprays every once in a while instead of adding it to the 6/9. What do you think DC?
I'm going to call my bunny farm lady friend and see if I can get some more poo. It's been a couple years since I went. Give your poo only method a shit

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Foliars are fine during veg, but you'll find me adding .5g/g once at the end of stretch as a drench.

Make sure you use clones in the same environment with only a few using bunny. You'll want a good side by side test. :)

negative37dBA

Veteran
My revitalize came today.
How are you making a gallon of hydrogaurd?
I see you say 96 gallons but isn't that still a million times the cfu of hydrogaurd?
The cool part about the revitalize is it can be used to combat some of my biggest problems outdoors. Cercospora, Septoria, and Botrytis!!
Thanks so much for turning me on to this product.
I'd like to use it as a hydrogaurd replacement and as a foliar spray. What a major score!!
I have just been using it raw. I used to used to use 64 ml per rez change of Hydroguard. Now I just go with 1ml...yes 1ml of Revitalize in the raw form. I am finding no need to water it down. I just put it in my rez and let it mix in. Even at that low dose I am still way stronger than the Hydroguard product is and I don't think that is a problem.
Pretty happy to see all the good ideas popping up outa this thread. Nice to see the community come out and contribute here!! Thanks!
Peace, negative.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I have just been using it raw. I used to used to use 64 ml per rez change of Hydroguard. Now I just go with 1ml...yes 1ml of Revitalize in the raw form. I am finding no need to water it down. I just put it in my rez and let it mix in. Even at that low dose I am still way stronger than the Hydroguard product is and I don't think that is a problem.
Pretty happy to see all the good ideas popping up outa this thread. Nice to see the community come out and contribute here!! Thanks!
Peace, negative.
Have you used as a spray for mold? Every single year I get Septoria or cercospora outdoors. This year they did the least damage yet, but I still got it. Most years it's horrible. one or both of those, kill the tiny leaves in the bud causing perfect habitat for botrytis c to fuck me up. Plus it's humid in Va and dew can stay on the plant for hours.
Indoors I get gray mold with certain strains. (My keepers of course). Even with dehuey running.
I'm very interested in trying this as a preventative spray and drench indoors and outside next year.

For my rez, I'm going to start off low as I can, and see how it works. I use totes, and a 5gal bucket for my reservoirs. I make up 5gals at a time I have 1ml syringes that mark tenths. So I guess I'll start with 0.1ml per 5gal.

negative37dBA

Veteran
I have not used it in any application other than in the rez. I don't do any outdoors stuff...although would love to. I live in a VERY dry desert my humidity is stupid low round here.
Good plan to start low, you can always add more if needed.
Mixed up some new stock solutions today of Jacks...easy, its so easy.
Have a great night all.
"One, two, three and to the 4 Snoop Doggy Dogg and Dr Dre is at the door...ready to make an entrance so back on up...cause you know we about to rip shit up... "
Peace, neg.

They have a few different versions, even a specialty mix for LED(VBX). I grow in soil/soiless. They do have a hydro mix called DOS A/B for fertigation systems. It is super expensive for us small batch growers.
What a rip off. Lol. Slick marketing though. 1900$ for a hundred pounds? Bahahahah! 100lbs of masterblend is 320$. Or 400$ for 100lbs of jacks. Gets cheaper with raw salts. See the 100lbs of calcium nitrate I posted a few messages back? 120bucks shipped. They'll all grow the exact same buds, because they are all the exact same Raw salts with a pretty label.

NPK is NPK to the plant. She don't care whose labels she's eating.

I think people need to drop a hundred or so bucks to take a basic botany class at the local community College, before getting utterly raped and paying 1900 dollars for super duper special LED specific plant food. Pfffft. Anybody with any know how understands all that has is extra calcium and magnesium, and isn't special at all.

I sure wish I understood this a decade ago, and I'd be getting 1900 bucks for 100lbs of plant food that only costed me a fraction of that. Potheads are so gullible when they start growing. I was myself because those labels are sooooooo coooooool.

negative37dBA

Veteran
I find it cool when I save $35.00 in the 5 minutes it takes me to mix Jacks up.....not labels anymore.....
Peace, negative.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What a rip off. Lol. Slick marketing though. 1900$ for a hundred pounds? Bahahahah! 100lbs of masterblend is 320$. Or 400$ for 100lbs of jacks. Gets cheaper with raw salts. See the 100lbs of calcium nitrate I posted a few messages back? 120bucks shipped. They'll all grow the exact same buds, because they are all the exact same Raw salts with a pretty label.

NPK is NPK to the plant. She don't care whose labels she's eating.

I think people need to drop a hundred or so bucks to take a basic botany class at the local community College, before getting utterly raped and paying 1900 dollars for super duper special LED specific plant food. Pfffft. Anybody with any know how understands all that has is extra calcium and magnesium, and isn't special at all.

I sure wish I understood this a decade ago, and I'd be getting 1900 bucks for 100lbs of plant food that only costed me a fraction of that. Potheads are so gullible when they start growing. I was myself because those labels are sooooooo coooooool.

There's more to it than NPK. After 55 years of growing cannabis, not all Nutrients will give us good results. V&B is a good Nutrient for cannabis. Results are what should drive what we buy. I typically buy 25lb for 260$. As a small batch grower, it lasts at least a year. I've never tracked that. I've been using it for about a decade. I prefer powdered nutrients. I't would take time to figure out how to get the same results using Jacks. I would add most are prob not paying retail. As I said it is expensive.

Last edited:
There's more to it than NPK. After 55 years of growing cannabis, not all Nutrients will give us good results. V&B is a good Nutrient for cannabis. Results are what should drive what we buy. I typically buy 25lb for 260$. As a small batch grower, it lasts at least a year. I've never tracked that. I've been using it for about a decade. I prefer powdered nutrients. I't would take time to figure out how to get the same results using Jacks. I would add most are prob not paying retail. As I said it is expensive

Of course there's more to it than NPK. Lol Kinda assumed you already knew they need ca, mg, micros, etc etc so I didn't feel the need to write that out. Oops. lol.

If you've been growing cannabis for 55 years, and can't get fairly similar results using ANY manufacturers nutrients, your doing something wrong. To me is sounds lile your a loyal customer to a corporation, and dont truly understand botany. Just reading and measuring somebody else's labels. I was once like that as well, until I was taught otherwise.

Your looking at plant food as a manufacturers 'product'. All plant food is, is raw elements. The reason each manufacturers nutrients give slightly differing results, is because they HAVE to keep their NPK ratios unique to THEIR company to sell. So other companies don't sue. Slightly different ratios will make the plant grow sliiiiightly different. Somebody that's never grown before will never notice that at all because they all will finish plants.

Do you even know the elemental ppm breakdown of the nutrients you prefer? If you do, the results are 100% repeatable every single time when you apply those numbers to your grow using ANY mfgs nurtients or raw salts. Its just YOUR preference. . Strain dependant of course.

Jacks is tried and true brother. 321. Posted all over the internet for ages now. I liked to tweak mine tho a bit, when I used it. I feel it needs more calcium and less potassium in coco. Jacks was my first run with salts. Try a couple plants for shits and giggles. It's 100 bucks for 25lbs. Nothing to lose. Everything to learn...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depends on what you use. I didn't use any extra Cal/mg until LED. I still only use 1ml per 5g maybe 2x during a run. I use PBP grow in veg and V&B Dirty in flower. This combo adds enough cal/mag. I know many that use Jacks. Is it as good as V&B Dirty I don't think so. Im a bit biased after a decade of using it. I'm old school don't care about any breakdown, that's all for you gen z kids lol. I only care about the end results. I wouldn't have posted in here if I was against using Jacks. Im sure someday ill get around to trying some.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Ok guys. Making the Cal-Mag tonight. I am shooting for about a 2 to 1 ratio of Calcium to Mag. Trying to make a stock solution so I can use it like bottled.
Here the recipe I am going with.
308 grams Cal Nit aka Part B Jacks.
200 grams of Epsoms.
8 grams of Iron EDTA.
This is for a gallon. Then I can mix it at around 5 ml per G to get to .25 EC with 0 EC start water.. You can adjust how much you use to your plants needs. I tested it and that is the EC it gives me.
Easy Peasy and just saved around $35.00.
That feeling I get get when I mix my own.....
ronnie cray dance.gif

Peace, negative!

negative37dBA

Veteran
Question, am I messing up the 2 to 1 ratio? I think I am. I am using Jacks 321 logic to make a 2 part mix, but Jacks is a 3 part. I think I f*cked up. So if I am looking for a 2 to 1 ratio then I need to use less epsoms..about 152...correct? I need a few more dabs to get this right...lol
So 304 cal nit to 152 epsoms is that correct...my brain is faded this AM. I think it is correct tho.
Thanks, negative.

Latest posts

Latest posts