What's new

Get Baked and Go Fishing

armedoldhippy

Veteran
took my older brother fishing yesterday, first trip in months. no fish, fine buzz, gorgeous weather. was fine until i had to gut him out & drag him back to the truck like a dead deer. kidding about gutting. (bad failing health. be doing good to make it until Thanksgiving, i'm afraid) took us both over half an hour to get him 8 feet up a bank that took me five steps. :badday:

Badfishy1

I got spooled on the gulf coast years back, had just bought the line the day before. Never saw the fish but it was probably a shark or tarpon and I didn’t have the pole to do anything with it. Once it broke off, pissed, I started reeling in line to see how much I had left and to my surprise I still had it all. Had a 4 foot steel leader on and the swivel was bent straight out like a needle, lol.

Ive done A LOT of shark and tarpon fishing both commercial for shark and pleasure. I've been spooled at night to where the line snapped at the knot in my backing.... didn't slow down a bit after taking Bonita carcass... don't sleep on gulf coast fishing!

Badfishy1

took my older brother fishing yesterday, first trip in months. no fish, fine buzz, gorgeous weather. was fine until i had to gut him out & drag him back to the truck like a dead deer. kidding about gutting. (bad failing health. be doing good to make it until Thanksgiving, i'm afraid) took us both over half an hour to get him 8 feet up a bank that took me five steps. :badday:

Ahhh that's tough! Good karma for you! Gotta take care of family!

Nice pics fellas, keep em coming. I miss fishing for speckled trout and red drum in the gulf coast. Wade fishing with a bucket of live shrim floating behind me or red snapper off the oil rigs .Will have to go soon. Good thread:tiphat:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
Perfect shark and jewfish bait!!!
ARent we supposed to call them something else now like Goliath grouper or risk pissing off the Jews???? Never understood that as one of my friends considers himself a Jew so is it only bad when someone else says it??? Sort of like the N word?...Yeehaw

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I love blackened redfish. Mmmmm.and Florida fishing which I consider the best in the USA for saltwater...Yeehaw

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I got an okuma avenger 30a for my 12 ft crappie rod 8 lb line...time to hit the surf and play..should be interesting.....yeehaw...sand crabs,camo two inch sandworms and crappie jigs

TrillOG

Went to a pond caught about 30 bluegills, and 6 bass worth keeping.. Not a bad haul for a hour and a half worth of fishing.. Took a couple puffs of AHi and auto widow after the muffins started to wearing off.. It was such a good day I didn't realize I had been out there almost 5hrs until the Mrs called talking me to death.. Lol natures a beautiful thing..

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
Hit the beach..pumed some ghost shrimp and went for them with the crappie rod 8 lb line...croaker,few kinds bass,mackeral,turbot corbina,,and rock wrasse....no monsters but fun on that rod...a few break off..don't like spiderwire florocarbon..back to trilene and switching to 10 lb florocarbon...yeehaw

Hit the beach..pumed some ghost shrimp and went for them with the crappie rod 8 lb line...croaker,few kinds bass,mackeral,turbot corbina,,and rock wrasse....no monsters but fun on that rod...a few break off..don't like spiderwire florocarbon..back to trilene and switching to 10 lb florocarbon...yeehaw

What is your opponion of spiderwire braided? spiderwire braided would be like at least 20 lb test on a 10lb test diameter. . I like where you mentioned shrimp, i enjoy libe shrimp in my yellow and black buckrt floating behind me :biggrin: .. now i think this thread has "'made" me go to wally world and buy new line and cone home to respool a few reels. Thanks fellas. Wil toke slme banana og for yall while i jam the hendrix and play with my gear.

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
spider wire has no stretch, so it breaks off the tips of my rods when i set the hook,especlet on big ones.
i like triline.

Dog Star

Veteran
Using those Japanese Gosen casting braid for lakes,its soft and pliable,even low diameters
are tough and durable,prices can be lower tough..

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I like braid but end up adding a florocarbon leader....haven't broken any rod tips in a long time..only time I use straight braid is crank baits and a few other cases..yeehaw..trilene/ berkley mono / floro....and power pro usually for braid..but due to cost I shop around for deals/ brands

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
Use a bit of mono as a top shot if ya need..or floro for stealth... FG knot recommended....yeehaw....I wade with a flowtroll for live bait....worth the money

TrillOG

Those braided lines never worked well for us.. Kept knotting in all the reels like a bird nested open face.. We found it works best bare minimum on the micro spinners.. Or as leader for fly rods..

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I have no issues with braid it def has its uses...Using 65 braid 60 to 80 floro/ mono top shot to steel leader for some sharks this week...Yeehaw

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
6 to 10 tonight...the halibut pool remains unclaimed.... yeehaw.. ..stoned again.. along with other pools one is for small

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Oh Man. I was just checking the water and there were a whole bunch of Albis or Bonito hitting bait on the surface . Ran to get my rod but by the time I got back they were gone....