What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Germany to legalize cannabis

Ca++

Having just watched Thailand open up with inadequate definitions and police training, they will be very careful with how it's done. A working legal system that's not open to abuse is difficult, when so many are well versed in navigating this topic. Remember the Dutch are lenient, but the shops can't actually score (or store much). They didn't really put a legal system in place. So they can shut things down that they don't like. Some counties in the UK are similar. Where the police openly say they won't spend a bean on busting home grows. However commercial operations and nuisance ones will be taken down.
A friend with previous was busted with one in, one hanging, and a trimming machine to highlight his scale. They said he had been honest and he was a 50yo bloke not selling to minors. Go home and don't do it again or your fucked (I might be paraphrasing)

It seems Germany want the money. It's going to be regulated production through tax paying channels. Not a free for all.

Somatek

I heard that the few legal growers in canada simply cannot produce enough to meet demands.
And I´m sure that even half smokable bud (or less than half, lol) in germany will be more expensive than illegal pot ( which was also sh*t when I tried it) I did read an article about this as well some time ago. They want to tax it of course etc.
It's the dead opposite actually, there's an over production issue due to poor sales and numerous big producers have had to destroy product because they ran out of room. Prices have dropped massively from the initial sad offerings and more and more illegal producers are slowly moving over to the legal market. It's kind of comical that Germany is considering following the Canadian model considering the comments the British MP's who came to study it made. Something along the lines of "Canada is an excellent example of how not to legalize pot" as there's too much inconsistency across the country.

Cuddles

It's the dead opposite actually, there's an over production issue due to poor sales and numerous big producers have had to destroy product because they ran out of room. Prices have dropped massively from the initial sad offerings and more and more illegal producers are slowly moving over to the legal market. It's kind of comical that Germany is considering following the Canadian model considering the comments the British MP's who came to study it made. Something along the lines of "Canada is an excellent example of how not to legalize pot" as there's too much inconsistency across the country.
so things changed then, that sounds good :)
can people grow at home though? I mean for personal use, and what about strain variety in the shops? How much do shops charge these days for weed and oil?

British MPs don´t like pot much - they prefer coke, lol
and german ones should be looking at Holland, imo. Those guys can grow at home

Somatek

so things changed then, that sounds good :)
can people grow at home though? I mean for personal use, and what about strain variety in the shops? How much do shops charge these days for weed and oil?

British MPs don´t like pot much - they prefer coke, lol
and german ones should be looking at Holland, imo. Those guys can grow at home
Things have definitely changed but it's pretty clear the over regulation has enabled the black market more then anything, for example here in Ontario the provincial gov decided to limit retail licenses and hold three rounds of lotteries to see who'd win them. Which meant the most populace province had the fewest amounts of shops and the least access compared to there being illegal dispensaries everywhere before legalisation. As for home growing it depends on the province you're in, Quebec and Manitoba still prohibit recreational home growing despite federal law. Others have regulations like outdoor plants have to be kept out of public sight, whereas some provinces don't care anymore.

Legal pot is anywhere from around $100/ounce up to $350+, black market you can get ounces for around $50 and up from there. Oil/shatter/hash has never been as popular as straight flower and there isn't as much selection, legal market seems to be around $100/gram for hash rosin with the black market coming in around half that. I don't really pay too much attention as I grow my own and haven't bought weed since I got my medical license so take those quotes with a grain of salt. The biggest issue most people have with Canada's pot regulations is they made it very hard at the beginning for black/grey market pot growers to transition into the legal market and the regulations heavily preferred the established producers which a lot of ex-cops/politicians were heavily invested in. Combined with loose medical marijuana laws the black market wasn't really affected by the legal one until the last couple years when free market forces have been able to come into effect and prices have crashed. If the gov got out of their own way, made entry to the legal market accessible then the conversion would have been a lot quicker instead of taking years for legal sales to match or surpass illegal ones.

Cuddles

I have checked on the latest news: germany may legalize weed by 2024, not this year, as so many people had hoped.
I read in one article that people would be allowed up tp 6 plants and then another said that it would only be 2.
But the whole thing my be held up by Brussels because of some EU thingy blahbla

Too bad they didn´t decide to do what Holland did?
But anyway, if Germany manages to legalize it, then other EU countries may follow - I have very high hopes for this!
Then we can all live in a more peaceful toker world. And maybe the UK government (or the next one, lol) will give their consent as well :)

goingrey

I have checked on the latest news: germany may legalize weed by 2024, not this year, as so many people had hoped.
I read in one article that people would be allowed up tp 6 plants and then another said that it would only be 2.
But the whole thing my be held up by Brussels because of some EU thingy blahbla

Too bad they didn´t decide to do what Holland did?
But anyway, if Germany manages to legalize it, then other EU countries may follow - I have very high hopes for this!
Then we can all live in a more peaceful toker world. And maybe the UK government (or the next one, lol) will give their consent as well :)
Weed is not really legal in the Netherlands just "tolerated" but there is an EU country where it is genuinely legal.. Malta! So it can be done.

Hasch

learning and laughing
Am hoping Germany will work it out and finally legalize it!

But knowing us germans everything has to be doubly correct and airtight.

Some shocking info came up in a discussion I had today concerning United Nations:
If Germany wants it to be super correct then not only the EU but also the United Nation have to change their laws concerning drugs and the ban of all of them (except alcohol + tabacco).

Thank you Nixon + Reagan

Cuddles

Am hoping Germany will work it out and finally legalize it!

Some shocking info came up in a discussion I had today concerning United Nations:
If Germany wants it to be super correct then not only the EU but also the United Nation have to change their laws concerning drugs and the ban of all of them (except alcohol + tabacco).

Thank you Nixon + Reagan
damn, you´re right! I do recall the UN being mentioned in this discussion as well... bugger.

Cuddles

Weed is not really legal in the Netherlands just "tolerated" but there is an EU country where it is genuinely legal.. Malta! So it can be done.
right, why can´t they simply `tolerate´ it, so people can get on with it and see how it goes.... whilst working on legalization and decriminalization....This would be a great step forward. And like I said, if a country like Germany does this, other EU countries may follow.

So how did Malta manage it? If they did it, then it CAN be done, right? so, there is hope ! .)

goingrey

So how did Malta manage it? If they did it, then it CAN be done, right? so, there is hope ! .)
Seems like first their parliament voted on a bill to legalize which resulted in 36 for and 27 against. Then their president approved the bill into law, and told critics that "the president does not have the power to ignore a law that was passed democratically by Parliament".

So all that's needed is a democratic society. :D

Cuddles

Seems like first their parliament voted on a bill to legalize which resulted in 36 for and 27 against. Then their president approved the bill into law, and told critics that "the president does not have the power to ignore a law that was passed democratically by Parliament".

So all that's needed is a democratic society. :D
alright then! bugger the UN and Brussels! Let´s go and get Europe sorted :smoker: for toking!

Gunter

And that's the way of never ever getting anything done. I see this everyday in my daily life here and legalization will not be any different.

Schande des Waldes

I no longer believe that Germany will legalize cannabis in the next few years. Our politicians are completely untrustworthy. No wonder so many don't vote anymore.

Cuddles

we hope it be germany first one at europe and rest will follow with time for Rec market
yes, exactly. I´m really hoping for a real domino effect and who knows - maybe more and more countries round the world will reconsider. That is, if we (ie the people in Europe) make it work well and set a good example. The dutch have been doing it for ages :)

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
yes, exactly. I´m really hoping for a real domino effect and who knows - maybe more and more countries round the world will reconsider. That is, if we (ie the people in Europe) make it work well and set a good example. The dutch have been doing it for ages :)

dutch gov gives some licene out to let him produce fo his own market its starting this summer facilitys and greenhouses for it :smoke out:

Cuddles

dutch gov gives some licene out to let him produce fo his own market its starting this summer facilitys and greenhouses for it :smoke out:
cool but people have been allowed to grow for themselves for a long time now, right? That´s what I want to be able to do - grow and consume ! and if this can be done here all over on our continent, people will be a lot happier and maybe loosen up more :p
I think licenses should only be necessary if weed is sold in pharmacies, imo. This license stuff is just about making money - for the governments that is.

dimodz

Elite StrainCloneHunter
Veteran
yeah that right the modell is now 3 plants per person then and you can carry 20-30g with you without problem. Sure its enough alcohl here avabile but its not same direction .

we have already like 6 year ago were medical weed is pharmacy avabile over like medical card with also have since is possible.

tax wise its enough money for gov to can used to fill his finance wholes...

Wall

I hope that this information leads to concrete !!?!!
Many countries in Europe are still middle aged towards Cannabis...unfortunately. There's so much worse now with all these shitty Viruses! the increase of all products and the more expensive life! or polluted climatic conditions... and cannabis is still the ugly duckling of history. When many big countries in the world agreed to decriminalize cannabis!? I wish this to be TRUE and achievable for Germany. This could play in the balance of Europe and the other countries steeped in their hypocrisy and their refusal to see things in the face...
With us, alcohol is sold by the State with huge taxes like cigarettes. These two kill thousands of people a year but cannabis in their eyes is still worse and evil!?! When politicians are less self-centered and hypocritical sons of bitches it will be better... I hope not to be 82 when legalization arrives!!!!!!!!
;)

Cuddles

yeah that right the modell is now 3 plants per person then and you can carry 20-30g with you without problem. Sure its enough alcohl here avabile but its not same direction .

we have already like 6 year ago were medical weed is pharmacy avabile over like medical card with also have since is possible.

tax wise its enough money for gov to can used to fill his finance wholes...
I thought it was 6 or 12? has it been reduced or have I simply been misinformed all this time?