What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Genetically modified cannabis:(

_Ina_

Veteran
stickshift:Just in case i will never buy this strain.I'm not sure what mitotic inhibitor is,i will check out that.i hope you are right about it and GM canna dont exists yet:)
well,i dont believe all i read either:)i'm starting to think,read more,read opposite opinions until i understand who has interest to lie.Don't you know they say;"there is no scientific proves that fracking has negative effect on environment":) but it has no matter what they are trying to convince people:)So may be the situation with GMOs is just the same.All these American(and ours are the same,they are saying what government/companies wants people to hear) agencies who must take care for public health...well i don't believe their scientists much,i'm sorry:)

Last edited:

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
stickshift:Just in case i will never buy this strain.I'm not sure what mitotic inhibitor is,i will check out that.i hope you are right about it and GM canna dont exists yet:)
well,i dont believe all i read either:)i'm starting to think,read more,read opposite opinions until i understand who has interest to lie.Don't you know they say;"there is no scientific proves that fracking has negative effect on environment":) but it has no matter what they are trying to convince peopleSo may be the situation with GMOs is just the same.All these American(and ours are the same,they are saying what government/companies wants people to hear) agencies who must take care for public health...well i don't believe their scientists much,i'm sorry:)

:laughing:

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicine
Here some info about that colchicine.

Jeesh Ina aren't you being a little too extreme on this? They only want to help us after all lol

Adverse effects
Side-effects include gastrointestinal upset and neutropenia. High doses can also damage bone marrow and lead to anemia and also cause hair loss. All of these side-effects can result from hyperinhibition of mitosis.[citation needed]
A main side-effect associated with all mitotic inhibitors is peripheral neuropathy, which is a numbness or tingling in the hands and feet due to peripheral nerve damage that can become so severe that reduction in dosage or complete cessation of the drug may be required. Microtubules are involved in vesicular transport. Peripheral nerves are among the longest in the body. Brownian motion is not significant enough in these peripheral nerves to allow vesicles to reach their destination. Thus, they are susceptible to microtubule toxins.[citation needed]
[edit] Toxicity

Colchicine poisoning has been compared to arsenic poisoning. Symptoms start 2 to 5 hours after the toxic dose has been ingested and include burning in the mouth and throat, fever, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and kidney failure. These symptoms may set in as many as 24 hours after exposure. Onset of multiple-system organ failure may occur within 24 to 72 hours. This includes hypovolemic shock due to extreme vascular damage and fluid loss through the GI tract, which may cause death. In addition, sufferers may experience kidney damage that causes low urine output and bloody urine, low white blood cell counts (persisting for several days), anemia; muscular weakness, and respiratory failure. Recovery may begin within six to eight days.
There is no specific antidote for colchicine, though various treatments exist.[18] Certain common inhibitors of CYP3A4 and/or P-gp, including grapefruit juice, may increase the risk of colchicine toxicity.[1

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
on of my my major problems with gmos is that gmo lines are often patented..

and gm plants can be designed to ruin soil so that only that gm line can grow in it.. monsanto has caused many thousands of farmers to commit suicide by doing this..

stickshift

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicine
Here some info about that colchicine.

and from that, this would be the snippet of interest.

Since chromosome segregation is driven by microtubules, colchicine is also used for inducing polyploidy in plant cells during cellular division by inhibiting chromosome segregation during meiosis; half the resulting gametes, therefore, contain no chromosomes, while the other half contain double the usual number of chromosomes (i.e., diploid instead of haploid, as gametes usually are), and lead to embryos with double the usual number of chromosomes (i.e., tetraploid instead of diploid). While this would be fatal in animal cells, in plant cells it is not only usually well tolerated but in fact frequently results in plants that are larger, hardier, faster-growing, and in general more desirable than the normally diploid parents; for this reason, this type of genetic manipulation is frequently used in breeding plants commercially.
though from reading the site of worldofseeds and all they offer is fem'd seed i'd say you have nothing to fear all the seem to be doing is selfing..

stickshift

you are deluded if you think they have genetically modified any of the seeds they are selling.
even SamS can agree to that, it's like all the claims that canna must be GMO because THC and CBD ratios and percentages have increased!!

Old 10-04-2012, 05:35 PM #47
Sam_Skunkman
"RESIN BREEDER"

Sam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivor

It is a patent to own a technique a method. No one is producing GMO Cannabis or GMO Cannabis seeds, if you think so please list the variety and who is growing it where?
Just because you have a patent that covers dozens of different species, does not mean anyone has used it on Cannabis or even intends to.
I myself am against GMO Cannabis and all crops, I am a classic plant breeder who believes most breeding goals can be reached without GMO. I have no problems using GMO to understand the Cannabis genome better and then try and accomplish goals with classical breeding. But I have zero fear of a GMO Cannabis takeover.
Some people are so afraid of GMO or Montsanto that they do not want to see the truth, they just want to keep warning the world that the GMO Cannabis is a here or coming to get us...
I agree that GMO seeds in general are bad for farmers, farms, and the environment, but I am sticking to specially GMO Cannabis, it is not real, just an idea...

-SamS
Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 PM #54
Sam_Skunkman
"RESIN BREEDER"

Sam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivorSam_Skunkman is a survivor

This is a more then 12 year old article, so where is the GMO Cannabis they dreamed about? If you think it shows GMO Cannabis exists, I say fine, what variety, grown by whom, where?
GMO Cannabis is not grown anywhere, unless I really missed it.
Maybe as a tiny test to show it could be done, but no GMO varieties are grown anywhere in the world. They are not made or sold by anyone anywhere.

-SamS
so where they at Ina? i'd like to give them a go..... and a final quote from SamS that should end this thread like it did the other..
Sam_Skunkman
"RESIN BREEDER"

still waiting
Headband 707,
After all your posts on GM Cannabis I am still waiting for the list of GM varieties, where grown, and grown by whom?

You still have not listed a single one!

I myself have never done GM work of any kind I do not believe in GM crops. I have nothing against using GM studies to understand the Cannabis genome better and then use Classical breeding methods to accomplish your goals.
I understand why people want to believe that the sky is falling, but do not like it when I ask them where are the pieces that fell?
The sky is not falling, there is no GM Cannabis, regardless how many "articles" you repost that are not scientific or peer reviewed, they are just people shouting their fears.
If you look at the authors of the articles on GM Cannabis none are serious scientists, why is that?

-SamS
bunch of deluded idiots.

here's the thread.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=246007&page=6

it's like these so called scientists that have a sensational headline http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-raj-persaud/has-cannabis-been-secretly-modified-_b_1688684.html

yet when you get to bottom of the page.. they state!!
Further chemical analyses are obviously required to rule out the possibility the high concentrations of THC are not simply due to innovative and advanced cultivation techniques.
no shit!, so another non story... round and round we go!!

_Ina_

Veteran
I really grow Afghan kush now so i'm not so scared:) just want to know the truth. like this guy says"if it exists who is growing it,which strains ,where"If it dont exists-good,i hope it never will.Sorry if i made 2nd thread about that problem.
" bunch of deluded idiots."?! You are talking to a women so pls watch your language!!!!!I am a bio grower and i was frighten from that possibility.I see they cant wait to try it and i'm asking if its already exists.
http://www.dutch-passion.nl/en/news-and-development/genetically-engineered-cannabis/
i dont like that:"coming soon in the forest near you"

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Rumors

Rumors

danut, please list the GMO varieties of industrial hemp, I know of NONE.
-SamS

Gene splicing is NOT the same, in ANY way, to a breading program.

A gene that was spliced into corn, causes the corn to produce insecticide.

Another gene that gets spliced into GMO foods is the "terminal" gene. That makes the plant sterile. That kinda slows down the idea of a breading program to produce the modification.

Strains of industrial hemp already have been produced as GMOs. I believe those strains are sterile, by genetic design. The technology to produce hemp with this modification already exists and is in common use today. For this to be in our cannabis would require help from people already doing the work.

How hard would it be to find one person working in the building that is a stoner?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Ina, please list any GMO Cannabis, it does not exist.

-SamS

yes,i was thinking the same-if you smoke GMO it just burns,ok may be it is not so dangerous(really?!) But when you make tinctures and put it on the skin it goes thru the skin right in your blood and organs,right?if you make Rick Simpson's oil or eating it-same situation.the guys from DP told me GM cannabis is not made by now,but i'm not so sure:(

_Ina_

Veteran
O,thanks god if it is true! I cant list any,i only saw that strain Afghan kush special from WoS and they were written they use genetically modified males( i wasnt sure what that means). If you are sure about that i will sleep better:)

420empire

Veteran
Nice thread.
I have the same question as Ina, why do they use the term genetically modified males? if they mean something else than GMO...
If the do use that term and it is not GMO, then i start to think about way i should ever support WoS, if they dosen´t even know which terms are the right one to use, then i start question their knowledge about breeding cannabis.
Peace.

Ranger

Nice thread.
I have the same question as Ina, why do they use the term genetically modified males? if they mean something else than GMO...
If the do use that term and it is not GMO, then i start to think about way i should ever support WoS, if they dosen´t even know which terms are the right one to use, then i start question their knowledge about breeding cannabis.
Peace.

to say the least, GMO and selective breeding are worlds apart. with selective breeding you do not run the risk's associated with genetic manipulation. you cannot ruin everyone's crop forever, in an entire county, state with selective breeding, but you can with GMO, just ask any farmer who has to deal with it.

GMO and mankind do not mix and will not mix. i can just see the data from 20 years in the future about how we destroyed so much forever by messing with gene manipulation.

if you need to jeopardize billions of living organisms including humans, to save millions of organism's, you're doing it wrong.

we normally delve into things that could possibly be cleaned up in the environment, radioactive waste, CoreExit in the oceans, pollution everywhere, i know it seems bad but these things can be cleaned up in the future, genetic manipulation can NEVER be cleaned up nor removed from the environment. once you release a defective or effective GMO it's here to stay and the original life form is now going to become extinct in it's place.

i don't mind saying FUCK GMO's because they're going to kill ten times as many as they save and are about nothing but profit, not feeding the people.

i guess you could say our society is screwed on many levels and this is yet another symptom only.

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
to say the least, GMO and selective breeding are worlds apart. with selective breeding you do not run the risk's associated with genetic manipulation. you cannot ruin everyone's crop forever, in an entire county, state with selective breeding, but you can with GMO, just ask any farmer who has to deal with it.

GMO and mankind do not mix and will not mix. i can just see the data from 20 years in the future about how we destroyed so much forever by messing with gene manipulation.

if you need to jeopardize billions of living organisms including humans, to save millions of organism's, you're doing it wrong.

we normally delve into things that could possibly be cleaned up in the environment, radioactive waste, CoreExit in the oceans, pollution everywhere, i know it seems bad but these things can be cleaned up in the future, genetic manipulation can NEVER be cleaned up nor removed from the environment. once you release a defective or effective GMO it's here to stay and the original life form is now going to become extinct in it's place.

i don't mind saying FUCK GMO's because they're going to kill ten times as many as they save and are about nothing but profit, not feeding the people.

i guess you could say our society is screwed on many levels and this is yet another symptom only.

While I agree with you that it's much harder to eliminate genetic pollution than it is actual pollution, nature does have a way of sorting these things out.

Our egos are far too large and we are far too ignorant and unintelligent to be dabbling in many of the things we dabble in, in the ways we dabble in them.

Look at the attempts to create a black hole for example.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I can assure you that you would not want to smoke the Cannabis that God created and millions of years of evolution has produced. They are very very low in THC. Man took the seeds from the few with any THC and crossed them over and over again until he was able to select higher THC individuals and used them to get even higher THC. There are no high THC varieties without the hand of man to make them.
I am not talking GMO I am talking selection of what is best for what you want and using that to create plants with more of that target. It is primitive classical breeding by the hand of man. The same with all the fruit and veggie varieties you eat, all made with the hand of man.
PS the WOS male is not GMO.
-SamS

Double-speak and buzzwords annoy the hell out of me. The only "fallacy of logic" here is in thinking that man can improve on what God created and millions of years of evolution has produced. The evidence that proves that when man tries to improve what we are given, and then mother nature turning around and biting us in the ass, has been shown to happen over and over. But then again, I guess New York City now having a hurricane season is only logical. The only "fallacy of logic" in GM Cannabis fear is ignoring history and proof of science going too far. The whole point of turning on and off genes and how that is effecting mutations in other genes, and the loan term results of that are all but ignored by those imbeciles. Am I against fucking with mother nature? HELLS YEAH!

shithawk420

Veteran
You say robot hookers like its a bad thing!and they will have sex bots in the future.Japan probably already has them.lol