What's new

Gavita-Pro 1000w 400v (new generation hps)

LEDNewbie

Veteran
as far as I can tell, the US version comes ONLY in 220. You should not attempt to change input voltage as they are already significantly stepped-down from the 400v input voltage standard to the ballast (I think... whazzup?)

LEDnewbie... there are nice dimples on the lamp that make centering a breeze... I believe there is about a 4" offset from the ballast side hanger to the lamp side hanger to center the lamp perfectly, but don't take my word as gospel. I set these up a while back and puff too much to remember such detail vividly.

Thank u for actually understanding what I'm asking!!!!!!:dance013:

C

CulturedHeathen

This is how I set mine up... there is a double 220 plug between each pair of lamps and they are oriented back to belly...

Again, with the fixtures in front of you it is very easy to center the lamps. attach a 2x4 lengthwise along your ceiling along the mounting axis and you are in business.

LEDNewbie

Veteran
I

Incase

I just received my Gavita Proline 1000w 400v DE but the US version and I live in Europe.

Can i just cut the 120v 6-15 plug

View Image

and replace it with a classic european 240v plug ?
View Image

Will everything work fine when I'll plug it to the 220v-240v electrical standard of my country ?

Remember that what I have is a 240v BALLAST, only the plug is american Nema 6-15.

here is the product :
http://www.gavita-holland.com/index...ormance-lighting/item/gavita-pro-1000-de.html

So do you think i can cut the wire and put a european plug ?

I

Incase

Update =

I called Gavita's technical service. They assured me that you can CUT the Nema 6-15 plug and replace it with a classical European plug.

From this :
US%20Nema%206%2015%20R%20Plug.jpg

to that :

plug-FE-W512.JPG

ALL Gavita Proline 1000w are 220v. EU or US are the same. It is just a matter of plug. it has to be run on a 220v-230v electrical circuit.

I DID IT. and IT WORKS.

ps : I bought mine here http://www.growshopalien.com/onlineshop/contents/fr/d226.html (bottom of the page)
and it didn't specifie if that was EU or US. I assumed it was EU since it is an NL growshop. So before bying, be sure to ask the seller wich version he is going to send you.

Hope the advices help. This product is just the "Rolls Royce" of all lamps !!

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Update =

I called Gavita's technical service. They assured me that you can CUT the Nema 6-15 plug and replace it with a classical European plug.

The US plug that you have been showing is a 5-15, not a 6-15. 5-15 is the 120v version, and has vertical blades when referenced to the ground pin. The 6-15 has horizontal blades, and is for 240v.

I don't know if your picture is a stock photo, or a picture of the actual gear that you received, but if that plug came on your fixture I would be curious why a 240v-only ballast was supplied with a 120v cordset.

Mt Toaker

When I move to 1kw lights again from my 600s I'm for sure getting these. Pretty much the same price if I bought a 1kw light locally... Still, those plasma lights from luxim still entrigue me. Lighting tech is moving at such a fast pase these days.

I

Incase

The US plug that you have been showing is a 5-15, not a 6-15. 5-15 is the 120v version, and has vertical blades when referenced to the ground pin. The 6-15 has horizontal blades, and is for 240v.

I don't know if your picture is a stock photo, or a picture of the actual gear that you received, but if that plug came on your fixture I would be curious why a 240v-only ballast was supplied with a 120v cordset.

this is just a picture I googled (my bad) . The actual plug I got was 6-15, 240v FOR SURE.

So I cut it and replaced it with a standard 16A European plug. Everything is working fine so far !! ;)

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
i thought i wanted a plasma,but now i just dont now ,i really like what i see here ,i kicking the idea of droppin 2 of my 1k s ,and get one of these ,and down scale a bit , ,more is not alway better ,or so i have been told ,thanks for all the info gguys and gals ,!

I

ItsTopShelf

lights developed for growing.. and it runs it at 230v it says i think ..

C

CulturedHeathen

The ballast actually runs at 400v... it just accepts 24o input and steps it up internally.

That's not even the question I'm asking!!!! I need to place blocks in the ceiling. The two hooks that are on the gavita. How far apart are they???? Also the centre of the light bulb. What is that measurement from the front hook?? Also that quote doesn't mention witch way the light fixtures need to face each other for proper light distribution??

Just measured my unit. There is 315mm between the eyelets. The center of the bulb is 90mm from the front eyelet on the reflector. The center of the bulb is 230mm from the ballast eyelet.

C

CulturedHeathen

LED, please act like an adult in here. Sometimes the wires get crossed and people don't fully understand questions.

C

CulturedHeathen

twatticus... I just measured my unit and it's like 5"... wait, now it's 8"!

whazzup

Veteran
wow just read all of this post start to finish whazzupp is the main man.just wondering if you did any tests on the ecotechnics diamond shade
It's an interesting design but only works with the lamp arctube in the center of the reflector.

The increased yield you experience is purely due to more grow light, I doubt if the spectrum has much to do with it if you compare HPS lamps. Specifically if you change from an old reflector to the new gavita which has a really good reflector and a very high output lamp it is easy to get a higher yield, if your climate is ok. Don't make the mistake to hang the lamp only 2' from the crop. You will completely over-saturate your plants with light. 2' 4" I would regard as the minimum distance @ 1000W without CO2.

Indeed it is a gas filled lamp (nitrogen filled actually). Cooling down the lamp causes it to emit less light, and the spectrum will change to a bit more blue, same as when you dim a lamp.

thanks for the measurements twatticusfinch. You always have a bit of slack as the eyelet on the ballast side can be shifted a bit. Actually that point of the fixture is the balance point of the fixture. If you mount your lamps on a good frame you could even do a one point connection. Obviously two points is more stable, but all the weight will be on eyelet on top of the ballast.

As for the heat: A HPS lamp emits more than 60% heat. Which is a good thing too because plants do need that too. If a lamp with about the same spectrum as another lamp emits more light then you can assume that it develops less heat radiation, but I believe that is marginal.

The HR96 reflector is quite wide, spreading sideways. There is no light coming out of either end of the lamp. So the most efficient way to reflect it is sideways. The reflector fills in the missing head and tail. That is what you lack with a wing: That's mostly butterfly shape spread.

W

willyweed

Thank you for the reply,gonna try to gey my bulb ark more central for now ,then gavita it is .thanks for all the hard work you have put in here to clear things up for us

ilikehejz

im going to buy couple gavitas 600pro remote but ive got couple questions. How long could be cord from ballast to lamp? Lenght of cord has affect to output of light from lamp?

Latest posts

Latest posts