What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GAVITA Pro 1000 DE

schwilly

so are these readily available now?

what are you getting them for?

anybody getting deals on multiple units from a distributor?

whazzup

Veteran
yes, replacement reflectors are also available. They are the same reflectors we use by thousands in horticulture. They are hand made in Holland to assure optimal shape and quality.

watts

ohms
Veteran
if you get the remote ballast option, can you do vertical lighting? also is it better to get a 600 watt ballast, or a 1000 watt ballast and turning the bulb down to 600?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I see that the 1000 watt fixture is rated at 1850 umols, and the 600 watt is rated at 1170 umols. At what distance from the lamp was this measurement taken, and is there a breakdown of their output at, say, 12", 24" and 36"? Also, has there been any testing done on the power levels of various parts of spectrum?

I'm curious because it is so difficult to compare different types of lighting. For instance, according to information from Lumigrow's site, their ES330 puts out 26.5 umoles of 430-480 nm light, and 169 umoles of 620-680 nm at 12", for a total light output of @ 200 umoles. This doesn't seem like much, but I've proven that it will burn the shit out of plants at 12"!

The Lumigrow comparison also shows that a 600w HPS generates 10.8 umoles of 430-480 nm, and 88 umoles of 620-680 nm. The lamp/ballast manufacturer isn't credited, but assuming that the lamp performs anywhere near the Gavita lamp, those numbers have the HPS putting about 10% of it's total output into those two portions of the overall spectrum.

I am interested in this information not only for comparison purposes, but also to try and establish a baseline for augmenting the HPS output. I've been toying with the idea of using a Pro 1000 and adding a couple of DIY light bars with 10 watt leds to flesh out those two portions of the spectrum, and would like to know what I am starting with.

whazzup

Veteran
That was 2 lamp generations ago. The new plus lamp outputs about 2070 micromoles. That is ppf, which you can compare with luminous flux but measured in photons between 400 and 700 nm. Read up about ppf, ppfd and ulbricht sphere measurements.

So distributed over 2 square meters this would result in a ppfd of about 900-1000 umol s-1 m-2.

There is a difference between ppfd and ppf. A 300 umol plasma lamp outputs close to the source over 4000 umol s-1 m-2, it just does not do it over a large surface.

The spectrum graph shows spectrum distribution. More info and high res pics on the philips site. Of course we do our own spectrum analysis as well.

whazzup

Veteran
if you get the remote ballast option, can you do vertical lighting? also is it better to get a 600 watt ballast, or a 1000 watt ballast and turning the bulb down to 600?
Please read the lamp measurement thread. Vertical only with the new single ended lamp, lamps lose efficiency when dimmed. The 1000W double ended is currently the most efficient, more than the 600W green power electronic.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just got the power levels off of the Monster Gardens website, so they must be out of date.

None of the SPD charts that I have seen are calibrated in actual light levels - they just show the relative power of one portion of the spectrum to the next. I'll check the Philips' site again.

1haole

well it is not so much the material that ages due to the heat, but mostly deposits such as calcium, chemicals and dust. It is hard to clean a miro aluminum reflector without damaging it and cleaned it will not be as good as a new one so that's an easy choice.
What about compressed air in a can?

whazzup

Veteran
In horticulture they even use robots with dry ice to blow it off. Air in a can will not get rid of all the deposits.

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The reflector on this is actually quite small compared to other brands. Can you please advise on the maximum effective grow space for both the 1000 and 600? The reflectors are the same size.

This questions was asked before and never answered.

Thanks.

R.Fortune

O

OneTokeOver

Not trying to speak for Wassup, but I am running 3 1000 DE over 5x5 tables and am very happy with the coverage. Much better than the Lumatek, Adjustawing & Eye horti combs I am running in another room.

Personally, I love the small foot print of the reflector. It doesn't block the circulation air like the giant AAW's.

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is that one light per 5 x 5 table? or 3 lights per 5x5 table?

My circuits are 120v Would I need to switch these out?

Thanks.

R.Fortune

Last edited:
O

OneTokeOver

One light per table and I believe they are 240v only.

I'm not an electrician but I think you can swap your 120v breakers for 240v 15amp breakers (not very common) if you have enough space on your panel. You would only be able to run 2 1000's (5.06 amps each) on each circuit tho.

whazzup

Veteran
I don't think you will have 120 amp but 120V :D

The spread of the HR96 is rectangular, not square. These reflectors are developed to work together is a light plan where you have overlapping light patterns. The exit angle is 120 degrees to the sides, so the spread depends on the distance to the crop. For close applications with limiyed lamps the spread is in a 1:1.35 width/length ratio. For a complete full room lighting with overlapping lamps of course this will be different.

Every HPS lamp primarily radiates in a radial shape, not round. You can try to compensate this into a more square shape wih your reflector but that will generate all types of problems on different distances and will not be beneficial to the uniformity in a multi lamp environment. In these cases the highest irradiance is never straight under the lamp.

Remember uniformity and light levels are important, but in a small tent you do not have a lot of choices. More small lamps always provide a much better uniformity than fewer big lamps.

Latest posts

Latest posts