What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GAVITA Pro 1000 DE

whazzup

Veteran
it is actually wide, 120 degrees. I attached two pictures that illustrate that.

The side reflector surfaces fill in the light on the other side of the reflector, where the direct light faints. So it crosses under the reflector.

Attachments

• P1040535.jpg
    P1040535.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 21
  • P1100272.jpg
    P1100272.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 20

loyalty7

picture.php

Had to grab one to see what all the hype about...If u have a/c or the means to cool your room down i believe these are gonna do great. Brightess light i have looked into, and i'm running a vert room ATM..

O

OneTokeOver

These lights are a deal in Canada. Less than Lumatek, AAW and Hotrilux combo.

I have one over a 5' x 5' area and it appears that 33" above the canopy gives the most even spread of according to my light meter. I realize that measuring lux is not ideal, but it is what I got.

Wazzup, you posted this chart in another thread. I admit most of the stuff you guys are talking about is going over my head.

Does it represent the light spread of the 1000 DE reflector? Is the vertical axis in cm? Is there a way to use this to determine the best height for a 5 x 5 garden given all other environmental conditions are good? (temp, air circ, etc.)

If there were no space constraints, what layout and height above canopy would be best for 12 lights?

attachment.php

whazzup

Veteran
the iso diagram shows you basically that we bring a lot of light to the sides to get an even lighting of the (flat) surface. Another thing you can see is at which angle the light leaves the reflector: 60 degrees both sides, making this a 120 degrees reflector. The dotted line is the reflection from the reflector 90 degrees turned. So you see this is really a wide rectangular shape, preferably used in in overlapping grids. At 33" I think you are already bringing a lot of light to your walls in a 5x5' room I think, but it could well be that including the reflection from your walls you have the best uniformity then, that depends on the reflection from your walls. With any reflector overlapping light and distance increase uniformity, if they are positioned correctly in the grid.

As for your 12 lights question: That also depends on the space and the height you have available. 12 pro 1000 should be enough for about 20 square meters (215 square feet) @ 800-1000 micromoles s-1 m-2, but the reflective material on the walls can influence this a lot. Keep the reflectors in-line close together, and keep a lot of distance between these lines. Lamps next to a wall should be closer to the wall as you miss the overlap on one side and you have losses from your walls.

The bigger the room, the easier it is to have overlapping lights on a bigger distance to the crop without losing much to the walls.

TacomaComa

ICMag Donor
Veteran
here is some grinderella that lived its life under the gavita.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I've got a chem sister under it now. pics after the weekend

W

Womble

outrageous lighting behaviour! they are the shit those Gavita's.

green hands do help though Tacoma....smashed it to pieces!

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
I have got to upgrade a few ballasts and have been holding off as I watch the info on these fixtures come in.

The thing that has been holding me back from electronic ballasts is the possibility Rf interference with my neighbors, leading to snooping by the power and water, or cable company.

So how is the Rf interference issue in regards to these fixtures?

RebelGrow

that's the thing with the gavitas, the ballast is right next to the lamp so the rf interference is slight to none i believe. they have some videos on youtube to check out.

whazzup

Veteran
That's correct, no EMI because there is no lamp cord, everything is within the (metal!) fixture. If these would cause any EMI then our greenhouse customers with over 12,000 fixtures on one location alone (12,000,000 W!) would have the biggest broadcast company in Holland :D

The Pro ballasts run at frequencies > 100 kHz.

whazzup

Veteran
well it is not so much the material that ages due to the heat, but mostly deposits such as calcium, chemicals and dust. It is hard to clean a miro aluminum reflector without damaging it and cleaned it will not be as good as a new one so that's an easy choice.