What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GastroGrower's Ganja Garden

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
Hey GastroGrower, looking quite frosty for 52 days. I love that bubblegum smell, hope it translates to the taste. Looking forward to seeing the 2 Stardog x PB grow. GL and take care 1

GastroGrower

Now days people are growing plants 5x the size of yours with stalks/main branches just that big.. I really think quality may increase if we dedicate some effort into the branches/support of our plants and not just the flowers.. We really should be growing plants that dont need ANY support to hold up the colas. Thats just my personal opinion of course..

Aww shnap, you poppin some new beans now?! I swear you had a bunch of clones and seedlings already lol.. Once we pop, we just cant stop!

Haha yah I know, So corny...

I have to agree with you on stem size. Get them nice and heavy in veg so that once you flip to 12/12 and buds start to develop, they're more than able to support that weight. I think with some strains, they've been selected for yield for so long, that they produce buds that don't align in size with the frame of the plant.

Yeah I have a real problem with starting stuff, haha. But keep in mind a lot of the seeds I start are regular seeds. Some of them end up being males and getting tossed unless they catch my eye for some reason. Also, I only have around 300 watts in my veg tent, so it takes a while to get plants to the size I like to work with. It helps to have a number of things in circulation so I can throw whatever is ready into the tent. I am big on planning ahead.

Hey GastroGrower, looking quite frosty for 52 days. I love that bubblegum smell, hope it translates to the taste. Looking forward to seeing the 2 Stardog x PB grow. GL and take care 1

Thanks! I'm really happy with this pheno. Once I run the other PB hybrids I want to try, I may pop some more of these GluebreathxPB to see what else they've got in store. If I can find one that's comparable in terms of flavor but higher in yield, I may move over to it. Love the quality on the GBxPB #1 but I'm used to big fat baseball size colas, haha.

I think I'm going to run the GG#4 x PB and the Karmdown#2 x PB first and then do the stardawg x PB once I get another tent cleared up. Probably start 12/12 in March based on my calendar. Just lots of vegging until then.

Kant C Shyt

Veteran
Hey GastroGrower, definitely run those Pink Glue (been waiting for someone to run these) and the Karmadown #2 x PB. I hope you are successful in your future seed searches. Its fun just to grow new plants, even if you don't find better :). Take care 1

justiceman

Veteran
I have to agree with you on stem size. Get them nice and heavy in veg so that once you flip to 12/12 and buds start to develop, they're more than able to support that weight. I think with some strains, they've been selected for yield for so long, that they produce buds that don't align in size with the frame of the plant.

Well said GastroGrower. I agree with that and what Dakine had to say. I definitely like growing strains that are able to support themselves, instead of coming up with different ways to hold them up.

GastroGrower

Thanks for the input Justiceman. All that said, having buds that are so big they need more support than you had anticipated is a pretty good problem to have :)

Dakine

Veteran
Thanks for the input Justiceman. All that said, having buds that are so big they need more support than you had anticipated is a pretty good problem to have :)

Not A good problem if you where Justiceman A few grows back!! lol im just playin justiceman. I took A thorough look at the previous grow logs you posted. You had A crazy Fricken Tent mah bro.. Awesome Buds though!

Dont you guys think its more of the growers job to make sure the stems can hold the weight of the flowers it produces, rather then mostly genetics?

I know that growers have spent years on certain strans. Making them produce massive flowers was there only objective.. But I still do not think we can make A plant produce more then its genetics able it.. With that being said, that must mean to little, or no time was spent on stem strength and stability.. Unless we get into the Genetic Modification discussion, which I dont want.

Gastro the PB #1 x GB has smaller sized buds? I can see why you would want to run the GG#4 x PB. The PB MUST add to the Terpene Profile. How are the girls lookin now?

GastroGrower

Everyone is looking good. The Critical Kush is stretching even more and I'm gonna need to adjust some stuff in my tent to raise the lights again. The clone I took of the CK rooted well and just got moved to coco.

The other CK pheno I have going showed a little light burn the other day. This seems to be the major drawback of this strain as I don't seem to get it with any of my other genetics. Not sure what the causes that but it's interesting.

I think I can get the buds on the Gluebreath hybrid larger with further runs. It's interesting, the buds on top are very sativa looking, with a kind of spear shape to them, but anything on the lower part of the canopy or underneath is much more compact and leans towards the structure of it's GSC background with flatter and rounder buds. This may be due to temperature conditions though.

There is a definite winner in the group of GG#4xPB. It's looking nice and vigorous and is showing it's Glue structure already. I'm out of town today but I'll try to get some pictures tonight when I get back of all the seedlings to show progress.

Sad news, I had to dump the SSSDH seed I started. It developed some kind of mold after it stopped growing. I haven't seen this on any of my other seeds so I think whatever the mold was, it hasn't spread yet. The clone I took from SSSDH #1 is doing well though, so it looks like I will be moving forward with that pheno for my second try.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Damn bro!! Day 52 with lots of cloudy trich's and I saw a few amber as well. Your killing it man. Definitely know who to get ahold of when I have seeds that need testing again.

GastroGrower

Thanks! Always happy to try something new when I can :biggrin: I super appreciate the opportunity to try these out man - it's more that I managed not to kill this girl - the genetics are what's shining through here.

Spent the weekend pet sitting this guy and his brother. They're big indica fans.
picture.php

The canopy in tent #3 is looking solid right now. I need to adjust or remove the carbon filter I have in there before I can raise the light any more, and the CK is reaching reaching reaching. I've had to keep that side of the lights turned down to keep from burning the tops, so now I see the benefit in having each power supply on it's own potentiometer. One spot on the screen didn't quite fill out, but everything else is looking decent.

picture.php
picture.php

Root shot of the Critical Kush #1. I think this is like a 1/2 gallon container but it's yielding a nice sized plant. Coco is really winning me over in terms of it's ability to produce what I need for me meds.
picture.php

GastroGrower

I haven't had a chance to do a neem spray or introduce any ladybugs in my veg tent for a bit - lights off are at 5 in the morning - so ignore the thrip damage, but here are the Pink Bazooka seedlings I've got going. I'm liking the look of the Pink Glue #4 - nice squat structure.

Karmdown #2 x Pink Bazooka #2 - #4
picture.php

Pink Glue #1
picture.php

Pink Glue #2
picture.php

Pink Glue #3
picture.php

Pink Glue #4
picture.php

justiceman

Veteran
Not A good problem if you where Justiceman A few grows back!! lol im just playin justiceman. I took A thorough look at the previous grow logs you posted. You had A crazy Fricken Tent mah bro.. Awesome Buds though!

Dont you guys think its more of the growers job to make sure the stems can hold the weight of the flowers it produces, rather then mostly genetics?

I know that growers have spent years on certain strans. Making them produce massive flowers was there only objective.. But I still do not think we can make A plant produce more then its genetics able it.. With that being said, that must mean to little, or no time was spent on stem strength and stability.. Unless we get into the Genetic Modification discussion, which I dont want.

Gastro the PB #1 x GB has smaller sized buds? I can see why you would want to run the GG#4 x PB. The PB MUST add to the Terpene Profile. How are the girls lookin now?
:laughing:If it's the run I think you're talking about that was as disaster lmao! oh man good times hahahahaha! I think it's kind of a little of both with stem strength. Some genetics do have notoriously small stems but their terp profile is amazing. I'd say most of the time it's an environmental/nutritional issue IMO. Supercropping sure is nice for increasing support though.

Check those supports out. They are pretty intense. It's wierd how they look like they want to pop.
picture.php

Thanks! Always happy to try something new when I can :biggrin: I super appreciate the opportunity to try these out man - it's more that I managed not to kill this girl - the genetics are what's shining through here.

Spent the weekend pet sitting this guy and his brother. They're big indica fans.
View Image

The canopy in tent #3 is looking solid right now. I need to adjust or remove the carbon filter I have in there before I can raise the light any more, and the CK is reaching reaching reaching. I've had to keep that side of the lights turned down to keep from burning the tops, so now I see the benefit in having each power supply on it's own potentiometer. One spot on the screen didn't quite fill out, but everything else is looking decent.

View Image View Image

Root shot of the Critical Kush #1. I think this is like a 1/2 gallon container but it's yielding a nice sized plant. Coco is really winning me over in terms of it's ability to produce what I need for me meds.
View Image
Looking real good man! Those cobs are working out very well. Glad to see that. I'm loving that coco root shot. Isn't it awesome how big of a plant one can grow with very little coco.:)

Dakine

Veteran
Gastro who did you pick these seeds up from again? I like the KArmdown x Pink Bazooka thats in the middle in the first picture.. Looks like it has vigor, and not that big of spacing between nodes. The plant on the right side of her in the picture look like shes going to have tight spacing between nodes.. Although it is kind of hard to tell this early to be honest imo..

I think that I can only tell if A plant is weak or worth not keeping Around the 3-5 week mark.. But I also make sure that I do ATLEAST 1 clone grow cycle after the original plants from seed are flowered. That way it will give the clones more then enough time to grow past maturity, and ill be able to see the plants full potential before making the decision to run her or not.

I dont understand why people will kill/pull a plant 2 week or not even 2 weeks after germination because they said it was slow.. Something could have shocked it or some outside variable shocked it, and it might not actually be bad genetics.. I know that some duds are easy to point out. But most guys arent giving the plant A fair chance i my opinion..

Haha sorry about that Gastro, thats just been on my mind lately. I see so many grows with guys doing that.. It popped back up when I saw your seedling pictures.. How long do you wait before making the decision to keep them or not? I know you must give your plants A fair shot. I cant wait to see how the SSSDH does this time bro.

Yeah Justice I was talking about that run your probably thinking about lol.. Those plants did have nice product even though they looked squished in those pictures.. I get those bubble things to when I squeeze each internode at main stem.. It looks so different to the nob that forms when you crush anywhere else..
Gastro do you bend and crush stems? Or do you just LST? When do you usually start training your girls/plants?

GastroGrower

All of the Pink Bazooka crosses were gifted to me by DoubleTripleOG. Right now I'm running 4 of these hybrids - Karmdown #2, Gorilla Glue #4, Stardawg (Corey cut) and of course the Gluebreath. Hoping to find a good male and female out of each hybrid to make F2s as well as make seeds with my clone only Mendo Purp plant to see if I can retain the genetics in seed form at all.

The only reason I'll cull a seedling before getting to run it is if it has a clear issue. Some seedlings just refuse to grow much, even after several weeks. Those get tossed unless there is something really special about it otherwise, simply because I don't have the time or space to run something that slow. When I'm running regular seeds like the Pink Bazooka crosses, obviously I'll chuck males once they get into flower if I don't want to keep them for seed making.

The only training I do with my plants is securing branches to tomato cages, or using the SCROG I put in Tent #3. I don't do any bending or crushing of stems, just top nodes to keep things even and encourage additional node development.

GastroGrower

Started flushing the Gluebreath hybrid in Tent #2 yesterday. It's already showing a lot of yellowing on the fan leaves and trics look around 50% amber. It's in a 1 gallon pot so I plan on flushing with 4 - 5 gallons of water over the next few days. Harvest sometime this weekend. Looks like she'll finish up around 64 days or so. You could probably pull it in a bit if you start flushing earlier, but I think this will hit the sweet spot.

Now that Tent #2 is clearing up, its time to queue up the next run. I've decided to run the second Critical Kush pheno along with 6 of the Pink Bazooka seedlings I started a few weeks ago. I will consider including the SSSDH clone if it's ready by the time I want to flip.

This tray is what will be going in. The Kush in the back - I may loose the tomato cage and put a screen across the back of the tent - 1' x 3' - if it stretches like it's sister did I'll need to keep it under control. On the left are the GG#4xPB #1-3, and the right are the KD#2xPB #2-4. The KD#2xPB #1 that ended up being a male had quite a bit of height to them, and it looks like these do as well.
picture.php

Dakine

Veteran
Is it just me? I dont see A pic of the Glue Breath Hybrid your flushing already lol.. The plants in 25 days of flower are looking good though!!

Are you going to be putting those plants in the tray into flower at the same exact time?