What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Garden of Unc-ly delights...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
a lot of my native cactus are going to start blooming soon,i noticed my white sand claret cup is budding...i hope to start getting some volunteer stuff sprouting here cactus wise,plenty of yuccas budding off and the wildflowers and grasses are spreading from last years seeds,and since i get so many birds they drop seeds in their poop,im trying to let the yard mulch itself now and just applying more gravel and bark mulch to retain water and keep out the plants i dont want growing...

pinkus

Veteran
yeah my horse cripplers are starting to bud :) I was hoping I'd have at least one san pedro bloom as I left almost all of them out this year. Only one fatality and honestly I think it was doomed from being in wet soil anyway, though others in the same tub made it.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well the yearly cactus flower show is starting,predictably for here its the hedgehog cactus (echinocereus)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Great pics, as always, unclefishstick! Is there any time of the year that you don't have blooms on your plants & especially cacti? Or you can always find some that are in bloom around there?
:lurk:

:tiphat:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the cactus are pretty well limited to say end of march to about september as far as blooming is concerned,aside from that theres maybe 6-8 weeks during the heart of winter there arent fresh blossoms on something....aside from that its pretty much non stop once it gets going....theres easily 30 different plants in flower right now...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol,most of my cactus the ceramic pots they are in cost more than the cactus itself!

is that a mammilaria of some sort?

nice saguaro cactus,i have one about twice that size thats about 50 years old...i risked a smaller one in ground last year and it about doubled in size in 12 months but im right on the edge of it being too cold here for it...fortunately my front yard has a "favorable micro-climate" since it faces south and the road im on slopes down away from the house so the colder are is going pool way downhill of me....i have one of the largest in ground collection of cactus around here i think,ive never seen as broad a variety anywhere else...

7thson

I know what you mean,those ceramic pots are real expensive.I have a couple of big pricey pots in the yard but they don't have cactus in them.

Ya,I think it's called a Fishhook.

I think I've had that fishhook for twenty years,it blooms like crazy.

Last edited:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i still need to drag my big totem pole cactus out...must weigh like 300 lbs though,hard to move,its going on a furniture dolly this year though...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And that's so every one on the block knows you have the biggest cacti on the block, right?
lol,i do,i have one of the most extensive in-ground collection of cactus anywhere around here not to mention a good size potted cactus collection...

these are a good example...just a couple of 4 dollar opuntia cactus,they were maybe 3-4 inches tall when i got them,stuck them in the ground last summer where they roughly double in size in one season,not native to the region,did surprisingly well considering they are from a warmer climate.

the yellow spine is called a "funny bunny" and is a monstrose version,the white spine is called an "angel wing" ....neither has spines really,just zillions of microscopic glochids which are difficult to remove from your hands and highly irritating...
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
some of the hedgehog cactus about to bloom...

engleman's
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT]

white sands claret cup
picture.php
[/FONT]

texas rainbow
picture.php
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
chocolate daisy
picture.php
[/FONT]

fairy duster
picture.php

[/FONT]

mexican primrose
picture.php
[/FONT]

ice plant
picture.php
[/FONT]

Betterhaff

Veteran
....neither has spines really,just zillions of microscopic glochids which are difficult to remove from your hands and highly irritating...
We have a hardy native cactus here that is similar, you don’t want to touch it or you will be very annoyed for a while. Need to get out the tweezers and magnifying glasses to get the little suckers and just when you think you got em all you realize you didn’t. Very pretty yellow flowers though. You have a beautiful cactus garden.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looks like this little fella has been listening to XTC's "summers cauldron" bees are dancing drunk on nectar...

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php