What's new

Game changer Emulsifying Vegetable Glycerin and BHO for E-Juice

grow nerd

Veteran
Where does "food grade" in terms of terpenes fall into, in the USP / NF / Reagent / ACS / technical / lab / etc categories? Sounds like it should be above lab & technical, as both are described as having impurities unfit for human consumption...

flatslabs

USP is considered good enough for food an dietary supplements (according to the FDA / US Gov, so take that for what you will)

grow nerd

Veteran
Wasn't so concerned with the USP grade PEG400 availability, but more on the NF-or-better grade for terpenes? Or at least, food grade. Seems technical is below food.

flatslabs

I would really be speculating to pretend I know the answer, at this point you have one-upped me on equipment and experimentation.

I know most of the terpenes I have seen in person came from food / fruit sources, as I am sure you have seen the d-Limonene comes from the delicious Florida oranges and is usually steam distilled so i would feel safe about consuming it but I haven't looked into the sources of other terps like b-Myrcene or pinene, etc

grow nerd

Veteran
You're giving me too much credit. I just threw a bunch of money at the problem.

I know that most terpene and essential oil products are sourced from natural "food" and food-like sources, but I think the "grade" is important... particularly the levels and types of impurities present. For instance both D-Limonene and b-Myrcene are available in many grades, from technical to food to ACS / Reagent grades, and many below as well I'm sure. Seems anything higher than food grade is very expensive. Some websites selling "food grade" often seem confused or misinformed about what "food grade" means in technical terms and possibly have them mislabeled as "food grade".

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You're giving me too much credit. I just threw a bunch of money at the problem.

I know that most terpene and essential oil products are sourced from natural "food" and food-like sources, but I think the "grade" is important... particularly the levels and types of impurities present. For instance both D-Limonene and b-Myrcene are available in many grades, from technical to food to ACS / Reagent grades, and many below as well I'm sure. Seems anything higher than food grade is very expensive. Some websites selling "food grade" often seem confused or misinformed about what "food grade" means in technical terms and possibly have them mislabeled as "food grade".

For certified grade terpenes and essential oils, check out extractconsultants.com. That is where we are obtaining the ones we are using for our research.

They can not only quote you chapter and verse where everything came from, but can perform GC/HPLC/MS analysis, and formulate custom odor/flavor profiles.

Pangea

Veteran
Anyone using PEG-400? Concerns? It seems like people are able to mix it 1:1 at room temp or close to it with no mechanical mixing.

I've read of a dude dissolving bho with 2 - 5x the amount of terps and then adding 2 - 10x the amount of VG to get it mixed nice and not harsh from the terps.

Roji

Ive been making peg/bho vape juice for a year and a half. Decarb your oil @ 250 for 20 min then add hot pg @ 1:1 and mix thoroughly. I use a wisk. Flavouring is tricky as Ive found most flavors make the preparation separate. I have peg/oil thats been sitting for 4 months, flavored, and it hasnt separated. Popular product.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I tried Peg, as well as coconut oil with some ethanol oil, they both infused without to much trouble. I got the coconut oil 3.5 oil to 1 coconut. The Peg had a sweet taste and the coconut had an oil taste, next is to try some terpenes or flavor however I was not impressed...

Pangea

Veteran
@roji
Cool deal!

Are you using PG or PEG?

Just the one strength? Roughly 40%ish?

Have you made any without decarbing?

If you dont mind sharing the price points I'm interested in those as well(retail/wholesale).

@esteressence

Cool, Ive never heard people using and vaping coconut oil, and that is a potent mixture! Will have to test that as well...

BrainChild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TOGLx7K0Jw

That's how I do it to. Winterized BHO and 15-40-% PEG depending on strain. I use a magnetic stirrer to mix it up around 140 F, but can be done without one just using heat and a little stirring. People don't want to admit how easy this is, because it's damn popular! ;-)

The one problem I've ran into as that on some strains, no matter how much care I take to fully winterize there are little solids that the PEG won't dissolve...dissolve a crystal clear slab into peg and it will reveal any waxes or buddery solids IME. Been having some trouble with this currently actually... :dunno:

EsterEssence

Veteran
They are making a lot of different kinds of disposable ecigs with co2 oil infused with coconut oil, that's where i got the idea. It isn't as strong as pure oil and i don't like the taste...

Snype

Veteran
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TOGLx7K0Jw

That's how I do it to. Winterized BHO and 15-40-% PEG depending on strain. I use a magnetic stirrer to mix it up around 140 F, but can be done without one just using heat and a little stirring. People don't want to admit how easy this is, because it's damn popular! ;-)

The one problem I've ran into as that on some strains, no matter how much care I take to fully winterize there are little solids that the PEG won't dissolve...dissolve a crystal clear slab into peg and it will reveal any waxes or buddery solids IME. Been having some trouble with this currently actually... :dunno:

I can't read the label on the black boxes. Do you know where I can buy that exact model that Bret shows in the video? I've searched google and ebay but can't find that specific one.

EsterEssence

Veteran
A friend brought the oil. I will find out what kind and where he got it...I can't find much info about vaping coconut oil, not sure if it good for your lungs.

Last edited:

Chonkski

Do not use coconut oil. Lol

Yeah, healthy vapors is the shit. Peter is the man.

Been buying those by the 1000 for the last year or so.

grow nerd

Veteran
What is the 25% "highly refined fruit extract" that TetraLabs is referring to, being used on the GoldCart? They claim no PG/VG, not sure if they specifically mention PEG.

Latest posts

Latest posts