What's new

Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS???

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
so here are some lil bastards i found...i had aphids before and got rid of them using some pretty hardcore shit..merit...i thought they had come from the canna soil i bought, and had problems w on occasion...actually playing w new soils and mediums...and this is fresh fox farms soil...so i dunno if its an infestation i cant get rid of and i just infect everything that comes in or if it comes w these pre packaged soils...either way...i think im heading back to hydro for awhile! haha...now, i still have some plants in my veg area that werre treated w merit last week...those plants should be safe from gettin infected yes? thanks for any help

picture.php

funkybud

are you ICer's growing in a place with sewer drains? thats where i found mine! little bastards were in the drain all this time. covered it over after dumping bleach down the hole,now there gone,and with the imid in bayer,no more problems.
i was growing in soil,foxfarm happy frog.

Great pic.

Multiply the bugs in the pic so it looks like dirt spilled all around the pots and that's how bad it was in my garden, Twice! Evil little fuckers!

Bayer Tree and Shrub did the trick for me, luckily i found the infestation in veg both times.

I suspect my plants finishing right now have the RA's again, and I'll know for sure after I chop and inspect the rootballs. Either way the Imid I applied in veg allowed my plants to finish strongly with good yields, so I'm happy.

so here are some lil bastards i found...i had aphids before and got rid of them using some pretty hardcore shit..merit...i thought they had come from the canna soil i bought, and had problems w on occasion...actually playing w new soils and mediums...and this is fresh fox farms soil...so i dunno if its an infestation i cant get rid of and i just infect everything that comes in or if it comes w these pre packaged soils...either way...i think im heading back to hydro for awhile! haha...now, i still have some plants in my veg area that werre treated w merit last week...those plants should be safe from gettin infected yes? thanks for any help

picture.php

lokes

~Pollinator~
Veteran
Its been an especially bad bug year for all it seems. I'm a much bigger fan of preventative now.
Neem every week or two, and I think I'll use the Bayer before flip, from now on.
Just ain't worth the risk, and once any of these critters get a hold, damn nightmare trying to get under control again.

G

Guywithoutajeep

Yeah they got me real good. I hit RA's with Bayer twice and I'm still not sure if its corrected. I used a really light dose, but it slapped the shit out of them. When they came back a week after the first dose I was like "you've got to be kidding me". They're resilient little creatures.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey rob those girls you already gave the merit to are "treated/vaccinated" so you shouldnt hit them with it again in my opinion.

fucking bugs DIE BUGS DIE

Relentless

Veteran
eww those things r nasty. i hate the tick lookin ones.. eww. had them.. 3 treatments of bayers insect killer killed them for good.. 5 days apart..

Neo 420

Veteran
eww those things r nasty. i hate the tick lookin ones.. eww. had them.. 3 treatments of bayers insect killer killed them for good.. 5 days apart..

WOW dude, What kind of treatments and at what rate? When I had RA i dosed with a extremely small dosage (im pretty lit right now and don't remember how much) per gallon (in rockwool cubes with a drip) and a preventive spray and they was ghost....

echo_chamber

Just want to add my experience with these Aphids. I've been dealing with them for about a year now. I too thought they were fungus gnats and was using "GoGnats" cedar spray & drench and that did nothing. I stepped up to Azatrol, which definitely made an impact on the Aphids, but effected the taste/texture of the finished buds.. I finally found Imidacloprid in the form of Bayer Fruit & Vegetable and used it in my veg room. It killed most of the aphids, but the flyers were still there. I used SNS 203 spray on the flyers and the ones walking around and the SNS 203 killed them on contact.

I'd say best bet is Imidacloprid for the roots and SNS 203 for the foliar and flying ones from my experience. Good luck everyone!

RetroGrow

Veteran
WOW dude, What kind of treatments and at what rate? When I had RA i dosed with a extremely small dosage (im pretty lit right now and don't remember how much) per gallon (in rockwool cubes with a drip) and a preventive spray and they was ghost....

You are right.
One dose should do it, since it's a systemic, and is ingested by the plant, it may take a while for all the bodies to show up,but they will die. That's if your plants are drinking which isn't always the case with badly damaged roots.
One tablespoon per gallon drench is correct dosage for Bayer Advanced. This is all you need for fruiting plants. "Tree & shrub" is for trees and shrubs, as the name implies. Not necessary for indoor, fruiting plants. "Tree & shrub" will last longer in the plant, which is not desirable if you plan on smoking/ingesting the fruits.

The Tree and Shrub has the highest concentration of Imid. It does not contain the contact killer Cyfluthrin, which I think has hurt some people's plants (and scares me). The Imid is pretty easy on plants, I use 10ml/gal and it has worked great.

RA's are no joke, and I think fungus gnats and RA's often happen together. Both times I noticed extra fungus gnats, I then looked closer and found the hoards of crawlers and realized many of the flyers were actually aphid flyers. By the time I discovered them, they had established a huge population. The flyers shoot live young out their butts like little BB guns.

the gnome

Veteran
You are right.
One tablespoon per gallon drench is correct dosage for Bayer Advanced. This is all you need for fruiting plants. "Tree & shrub" is for trees and shrubs, as the name implies. Not necessary for indoor, fruiting plants. "Tree & shrub" will last longer in the plant, which is not desirable if you plan on smoking/ingesting the fruits.

the difference between advanced and tree and shrub is the amount of imid
adavanced had something like .72 and tree and shrub 1.45
they also have bayer citrus and fruit which has the lowest concentration of imd, .45ish.

for the money the tree and shrub is the best deal and you can dilute down from there if you want.

G

Guywithoutajeep

Cyfluthrin had no affect on my plants. They were happy to have the bugs off them. Tree and Shrub has a little bit of fert in it too. I think you guys hit all the major differences between Bayer products.

RetroGrow

Veteran
the difference between advanced and tree and shrub is the amount of imid
adavanced had something like .72 and tree and shrub 1.45
they also have bayer citrus and fruit which has the lowest concentration of imd, .45ish.

for the money the tree and shrub is the best deal and you can dilute down from there if you want.

True, the main difference is the dosage, and you can dilute the tree & shrub if you want. But the other difference is the Advanced has cyfluthrin, which is a contact killer. It doesn't kill RAs on contact, but it will take care of fungus gnats and other critters, so that's why I prefer it. As long as you have the imid, you are good to go, no matter the manufacturer. The reason you might want a mild dose is so that it doesn't linger in the plant as long if you are late in your cycle or in early flower.

Norkali

Just want to add my experience with these Aphids. I've been dealing with them for about a year now. I too thought they were fungus gnats and was using "GoGnats" cedar spray & drench and that did nothing. I stepped up to Azatrol, which definitely made an impact on the Aphids, but effected the taste/texture of the finished buds.. I finally found Imidacloprid in the form of Bayer Fruit & Vegetable and used it in my veg room. It killed most of the aphids, but the flyers were still there. I used SNS 203 spray on the flyers and the ones walking around and the SNS 203 killed them on contact.

I'd say best bet is Imidacloprid for the roots and SNS 203 for the foliar and flying ones from my experience. Good luck everyone!

SNS 203 rocks! Just re-applied at 4oz./gallon tonight....haven't seen a crawler in weeks.

Our Product
SNS-203™ Concentrated Natural Pesticide Soil Drench and Foliage Spray is made up of pure Rosemary and Clove botanical extracts. The botanicals are all food grade GRAS (generally recognized as safe) materials. SNS-203™ Concentrated Natural Pesticide Soil Drench is exempt from EPA registration under minimum risk pesticides exempted under FIFRA section 25(b).

SNS-203™ Kills and Repels Fungus Gnats, Root Aphids, Thrips, Shore Flies and White Flies.
obj380geo463pg23p13.jpg

Need to re-apply Botanigard too....