What's new

Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS???

Granger2

Veteran
Because...why modify what has worked so well for many people? Many who use imid don't get good results. Imid is also something you will end up smoking. It's half life is way longer than the life of the plant no matter when it is applied. A 100 day [for example] half life means that at 100 days, half of it is still there. Good luck. -granger

Thanks Granger...My main problem is that I have plants in 3 separate stages of development at all times, clone/pre-veg, Veg and flower so doing a one off kill is never going to take care of the problem so I'm more going for a multifaceted routine application.

I did not realize that Imid had such a long half life, I may try and avoid it. The problem I'm finding so far is that the Orthene is destroying my plants. They looked more healthy and vigorous with a blooming aphid population than after an Orthene treatment. I would like to avoid using it a such a strong dose in the future. I was doing a transplant at the time so I could definitely see the dead aphids so it does do a great job but at the cost of a huge reduction in plant health. I'm hoping they start to show signs of coming back but after 10 days they continue to look unhealthy. I may try a half strength dose next time and see if it does less damage. Maybe just a combination of a regular Pyrethrin soak then OG Biowar will be the best attack for aphid control and plant health. I've used Othene as a foliar with no drawbacks, maybe I'll try that as well.

I think I read somewhere in the thread that you've using BioWar. How have you found it works for you and what is your application rate?

Granger2

Veteran
OGBiowar completely solved my problem. I still use it monthly. 4 teaspoons of Root, 4 tsp Foliar/gal. to drench with. Good luck. -granger

Joint Lock

canola oil if in hydro .mix 50/50 with water stir it up and dip roots for about 30-60 secs. all the way up to the stems if possible ,then rinse .dip as many times as needed . This oil works on aphids,spider mites,stink bugs,white flys,and powdery mildew & more . 100% organic . Thank me later .25% canola to 75% water for folair

F. Dupp

Veteran
canola oil if in hydro .mix 50/50 with water stir it up and dip roots for about 30-60 secs. all the way up to the stems if possible ,then rinse .dip as many times as needed . This oil works on aphids,spider mites,stink bugs,white flys,and powdery mildew & more . 100% organic . Thank me later .25% canola to 75% water for folair

Is it possible for it to be this simple???

I run an aero/nft hybrid system and OGBiowar gives me instant root rot. I keep hearing how effective it is, but it gives me rot so badly that my plants literally die within 5 days of adding the tea to my res.

I am currently running Merit 75 at the rate of 1tbsp per 25 gal res and it knocks them back, but doesnt take care of the problem. I added triazicide to one of my rez this morning to see if it negatively affects the plants. I am desperate to kill these little fuckers.

I soaked a test plant in 2oz/gal triazicide for 3 days without issues. Time spent soaking seems to be key to success with triazicide, I've been doing 3 hours. Permetherin (bonide 8) works well too but I've been limiting soaks to one hour as a 24 hour soak killed the test plant.

OGBiowar completely solved my problem. I still use it monthly. 4 teaspoons of Root, 4 tsp Foliar/gal. to drench with. Good luck. -granger

I've got some coming in the mail. However to fill my 50 gallon rez which is need for a full soak would be 200 tsp of each...That's about a a full kg worth of the stuff, I think I'm going to have to find a cheaper way. Sounds like people have had some success with Met 52 which I believe is cheaper to use. Might have to try that after the BioWar is used up, too bad it's so expensive. I'm also in Canada so after the exchange and shipping it was almost $400 for a kg of Root and Foliar..uhg. And that's with a deal. Fek me

F. Dupp

Veteran
I've got some coming in the mail. However to fill my 50 gallon rez which is need for a full soak would be 200 tsp of each...That's about a a full kg worth of the stuff, I think I'm going to have to find a cheaper way. Sounds like people have had some success with Met 52 which I believe is cheaper to use. Might have to try that after the BioWar is used up, too bad it's so expensive. I'm also in Canada so after the exchange and shipping it was almost $400 for a kg of Root and Foliar..uhg. And that's with a deal. Fek me

You use 4tbsp of the Root and Foliar pack to make a tea. Then add 12 cups of that tea to your 50gal rez

You use 4tbsp of the Root and Foliar pack to make a tea. Then add 12 cups of that tea to your 50gal rez

Only 12 cups? That sounds a lot more reasonable. I assume you're talking about the tea recipe on the website with worm castings and molasses?

If you're right you just made me a really happy man. Thanks!

Granger2

Veteran
The label says 4 tsp, not Tbl. But if you are going to dilute it by adding to your rez, that may work well. Important that you use both root and foliar. -granger

F. Dupp

Veteran
And that is the brew that gave me instantaneous root rot. So be careful and watch your rez closely.

I was afraid that it was the molasses in the brew that was feeding the bad bacteria, but I made the brew without molasses and it still created a sludge in the plumbing of my system that wreaked havoc on my crop.

F. Dupp

Veteran

the gnome

Veteran
Ive had better luck with h miles and nematodes than anything for the gnats. Treating the soil with permethrin a few times a week apart seems to keep em pretty much non-existant, but theres always a few left. Biological controls have made a huge difference for me

I have a bottle of tengard--36.8% pemethrin
used it on the yard for flea control.
is it death to RAs?
what kind of concentration are you using for soil?

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
I have a bottle of tengard--36.8% pemethrin
used it on the yard for flea control.
is it death to RAs?
what kind of concentration are you using for soil?

I have sector brand permethrin, I'm not 100% sure but if memory serves me then it's a 5% permethrin concentration and I use 1tsp/gallon with a teaspoon of peppermint dr bronners as an emulsifier, the sector might not need an emulsifier but the peppermint still acts as a deterrent so I still add it for shits and giggles. Some plants may burn if you do this with them during lights on without flushing the soil after a good 30min soak, so try some on a tester plant before risking your whole crop to a bad reaction to the oils in the sector

the gnome

Veteran
thanks stanks... :D

pyrethrin also kills aphids,and natural pesticide.
just thinking of lower toxicity poisons that would get the job done without having to mess with the heavy stuff.

and yeah,
testers for sure to make sure it won't fry the plants.

I just found this gardening site mentioning using pyrethrin to kill RAs in the soil

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/kill-root-aphids-43712.html
Pyrethrum
Spray a pyrethrum-based insecticide to the soil around the root-aphid infested plant. Pyrethrum is a natural, organic insecticide that is derived from the chrysanthemum flower. It is toxic to root aphids and many other garden pests, but safe to use around animals and children at the concentrations recommended for garden use.
Water the plant lightly to wash the pyrethrum deep into the soil. Let the plant sit for 12 hours before watering again. The pyrethrum will begin to kill root aphids within hours.
Reapply pyrethrum every two to three weeks or after heavy rains during the growing season to prevent root aphid reinfestation.

Last edited:

VERMONSTAH

I have a hot pepper plant that i just noticed had a LARGE amount of wtf ever these are lol insect larvae and maybe adults on the undersides of the leaves themselves. The plant is flowering and fruiting fine, growth has DEF not been inhibited, ill show you here. Can anyone identify these of help me identify these please? That's a balut jolokia plant btw lol.

Please and thankyou......If your wondering what the oil is in the second pic there its neem oil, was experimenting.

Attachments

• 20161011_085323.jpg
    20161011_085323.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20161011_085309.jpg
    20161011_085309.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20161011_085338.jpg
    20161011_085338.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20161011_105938.jpg
    20161011_105938.jpg