What's new

fungas nats

i have the answer

i have the answer

go down to home depot and get this yello sticky paper stuff.it has a white covering on outside with vents on it.it not sticky paper.man ive tried eveything people have suggested..i tried everything but this worked.i just hung it up close to the groe room and next day no gnats.its like 5 bucks..ill try to get name for yah.but you cant miss it.at home depot ...you just hang it ner it youll be all set!

Hippo

Ive had these for maybe the last 3 years, bout this time every year.
Last year i used a neem based oil which i sprayed directly on them (i was growing hydro nft trays), this worked great with just 2 apps n didnt affect the plants watsoever.
Unfortunatly i have them in soil this year too as i am doing some soil plants. So far ive used the sticky yellow squares, they have been down a week (just above soil surface held in place with some wire) but only have caught maybe 5 flies each. I also put down some sand on the top of the soil and although its cut populations down they are still a few about.
I dont think they do feed on the nutes, i think they feed on root hairs and rotting veg matter and they most definatly do some damage.
When ive had em on the nft trays its real easy top se the larva, they are basically th4e same as maggots used for fishing but a little smaller. Maggots eat rotting meat ect, these eat rotting roots, dead leaves shit like that, basically vegatarion maggots imo.

Does anyone know if u can use gnatrol or sm90 during flower and how long upto harvest can u use?

This year is definatly a bad year for having gnats for some reasont the populations around my area (local gardens ect) seem absolutly huge, much more than the last couple of years.
Well i hope u all get rid of em.
Goodluck
Hippo

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
Just be careful with the Neem Oil. Do not spray on the buds. It will turn your hairs from white to orange over night! I know, I have done it. Stick to the under sides of the leaves, and the tops too of course.

B

baccas125

fungas gnats

fungas gnats

first off i would like to thank everyone for keeping this thread alive. Over the past three months i have tried almost every suggestion that everyone posted except for the sand on top off soil. My grow size limits this. Neem oil will definity keep the gnat population down and stick traps help if place directly on soil. The best solutiom to the problem is bactrieal control from mosquito dunks. I found, at Lowe's agranular for of mosquito control that shakes right on top of soil. this bacteria is man mad i think. It has no interacion with the plants so sould be safe until harvest. one application at the begining of flower should last until harvest time. it also works far better that preditor nematoads do.

baccas :abduct: :alien: :alien: :alien:

Hippo

Sorry i was mistaken, the stuff i sprayed on my nft roots was called "Organic Pest Control" made by a company called "BIO", i do remember i only had to apply it twice, however its not really any good for soal soak i dont think, very oily.
I used the neem spray for mites and it was called Neemo.

Baccas, using sand on your soil will not take up anymore room except maybe add in inch to your soil surface.
I just took a pic to show ya's anyway :)
427sand_on_soil-med.jpg

Later all

Hippo

PS: anyone know about how the quetions in my previous post?

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
SM-90.........
"UNAVAILABLE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. SM-90 is great to spray on your plants and/or add to your water/feed. Great to fight against Spider mites, its also is good to spray on the top of rockwool cubes and mediums to fight against fugas knats, whiteflies and other plant pest. SM 90 is a wonderful product best used every 3-4 days in the same cycle as the pest. Plus reducing the toll SM 90 may play on the plant. "

Gnatrol...........
A biological control for fungus gnat larvae. Uses a variety of bacillus thuringiensis bacteria to kill the larvae. Apply as a soil drench or add to the nutrient solution of your hydroponic system. Use 1 to 8 pints per 10 gallons of water depending on severity of infestation. Does not kill adult fungus gnats, but once the larvae is killed, the adults will quickly die off. Can be used up to the day of harvest on all edible plants.

This is what I found out about Gnatrol and Sm-90. It says Gnatrol is safe up to the day of harvest on edible plants.
SM-90 is unavailable until further notice.....hhhmmmmm?

Hope this helps!!

B

baccas125

after may tries

after may tries

I have found that this is the soultion to my fungas gnats. This item can be found at lowes home improvement.

the product on the left is the same thing that is in the mosquito dunks but at 1/4 the price.

packn2puff

IC Official Assistant to the Insistent
Veteran
Last grow using Promix almost drove me crazy battling gnats..neem slowed um down but didn't stop um..
sticky traps had so many on them, I thought they were going to fly away with it..
it was fun chasing them down with the wet/dry vac till I sucked a branch in..
I like the blow dryer idea...maybe a heat gun instead..more heat less air..
Many report that lava rock, pebble bed, sand, etc. on top does them well..I'll have to check out the stuff you found baccas..
I have seen it at Lowes...at least the Bayer product...nothing wrong with a bump if it's good info and still valid.. :wave:

The Herbalist said:
DAMN GNATS. I HATE THOSE BASTARDS. IF YOU WANT TO STOP THEM DEAD IN THEIR TRACKS GET A PRODUCT CALLED GNATROL. KILLS THEM DEAD IN DAYS. AFTER THAT USE SM90 IF YOU'RE NOT USING ORGANIC NUTES. THIS WILL PREVENT THEM FROM RETURNING AND HELP THE DAMAGED ROOT SYSTEM. ALSO EASE UP ON THE WATERING. DON'T WATER AS OFTEN. NO MOISTURE NO GNATS.I'M OUT............

GNATROL.. didnt do ANYTHING for me. Neem works gnatrol doesnt do shite.

waste of money and messes up your plants along the way..

IMO....

B

baccas125

Who dug this old stinkier up?? I still to this day use that baccilus ,mosquito prevention and haven't seen a gnat in over a year. :sasmokin:

Raque

baccas125 said:
Who dug this old stinkier up?? I still to this day use that baccilus ,mosquito prevention and haven't seen a gnat in over a year. :sasmokin:

Is that mosquito preventer powder and do you just use it as a layer on top of the soil? groovy ... and love the avatar .... oooooh yeah! :woohoo:

LEGI0N

Yup, I used the dunks.. ( I broke one up in a about 3 gallons of water and drenched them) Normaly I'd be going through sticky traps every other day, full of gnats. But I haven't seen one this time around. NOT ONE!!! Plants look better than ever.

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
for soil gnats you must stop the breeding cycle, 2 inch of green sand from garden shop or perlite on top of soil dose just that. gnats do thier thing above soil breed go beneath soil lay larve, larve matures becomes a gnat surfaces and cycle begins all over. if the adults cant get beneath the soil to lay the larve and larve matured into gnats still in soil cant get out. cycle stopped sticky pest strips help to get any stragglers above soil, pest strips should be removed 2-3 wks before harvest works for me :) when i have had gnat problems

matthew barrack

go to lowes

go to lowes

buy diatemicious earth its white like cocaine till it into the top inch or 2 of soil and it will kill everything but keep it dry or it wony work THIS WILL WORK!! LATE MATT

B

baccas125

That stuff raque in the blue jug is granular and it infects the larva of the gnats. Just a small sprinkle of the pre granulated stuff sets them back. I haven't seen a gnat in over a year now.

PS raquer just a small sprinkle on top of each bucket works no mixing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts