What's new

fungas nats

WEDDY

If you go coco you don't get this problem is what I have heard. I run soil and I get this problem from time to time. The only way I get rid of the is drying out my soil and using a bacteria wash. It works for me.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
I don't have vampire nats just fungas nats.:yoinks:

Most bugs hate garlic, and the fungus gnat is no exception. Makes it a bitch for them to lay eggs in the soil. Just make sure you use "garlic powder" and not "garlic salt" if you do it. Also, tobacco can be used to make a lethal nicotine tea. Nicotine is super deadly to bugs, and life in general.

Gold123

Fewer nats down to 1 or 2.
FYI
I talked to the guy at Summit Chemical that makes Mosquito Dunks he said the Bacillus is not a living organism they are crystals. Grinding it a blender will probably destroy them. Also letting it brew does nothing. He said to crumble them up and just shake up the container. He had no advice on how much to use. They also make a product called Quick Kill Mosquitoes, aka Mosquito Bits. Same stuff but it is on ground up corn and releases into the water instantly. I found the stuff on line but not in any stores. Using as a drench in cotainers probably needs more than one application as the crystals have to travel to the bottom of the pots. Hope this helps

dr-dank

I use coco and daily watterings are nended, hence most soil. I tried a layer of perlite, but it was only partial and fouled up reuse of coco (I prefer 100% coco).

I found the moskito dunks to be ok, but feel they are often too old to be active.

I tried the home-depot sketer away, and felt it worked well, but at 19 bucks for a small packets it seems too expensive. I then found a large bottle of "Bayer advanced garden Mosquito preventer".

16 oz, and alot like the mosqiito bits, but less money and I feel fresher.

2.86% active ingrediants, which is a bit lower IIRC than the mosqioto bits, but close to the home depot powder IIRC.

I use a double peice of nylon and keep a tsp of the bits floating in my tanks all the time. Refresh it weekly.

Pretty much gnat free; while the one bottle could last me for ever I plan to refresh each year as I think fresh is key for this BT stuff.

HTHs

http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product/Mosquito-Preventer/granules.html

mister terious - DO NOT use anything but "FOOD GRADE DE" the stuff used in pool filters contains very nasty impurties that would most likely kill your plants, and probably make you sick or worse if you smoked the resulting buds. this is assuming it didn't kill your plants. so food grade only. that being said i havn't seen a fungus nat in months, not at all since about a week after application. no adults, no babies, no chemicals, what more could you ask for in pest control. plus if you re-use your soil it keeps killing them forever.

Gold123

mister terious - DO NOT use anything but "FOOD GRADE DE" the stuff used in pool filters contains very nasty impurties that would most likely kill your plants, and probably make you sick or worse if you smoked the resulting buds. this is assuming it didn't kill your plants. so food grade only. that being said i havn't seen a fungus nat in months, not at all since about a week after application. no adults, no babies, no chemicals, what more could you ask for in pest control. plus if you re-use your soil it keeps killing them forever.

Where can you obtain food grade DE? I saw a product on the internet called Concise, small box of DE for gardens.

just type "food grade DE" into your favorite search engine. health stores and some garden stores carry it. just make sure it says food grade before you buy.

G

Guest 18340

I just squashed a bad infestation. This is what I used. Bought it at Walmart.
It kills them on contact. I sprayed them as the flew away, then I sprayed the top layer of coco until it was moist. Did the same thing the next night and havent seen any in over a week.
Pyrethrin is what does it. Evl...:joint:

Attachments

• 100_3948.jpg
    100_3948.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 12

Gold123

Glad to hear that you got rid of them, but you can't call that a bad infestation. you aparently got them in the early stages otherwise the larva would still be hatching from underneath.
I had no nats today. Made a second drench with Gnatrol and added crunbled Mosquito dunk for added measure 3 days ago. This is after a h2o2 flush last week. Hope the cure holds.

G

Guest 18340

What makes you think it couldnt have been that bad of an infestation?
I've been doing this for awhile now and both the times I had a gnat outbreak I used Pyrethrin. I soak the top layer of coco so as to kill them as soon as the larva hatch. Works for me.

Gold123

I have commercial grade pyrethrin 6% with piperonyl butoxide 60% ( brand name, ExciteR) Garden Safe Fruit and vegetable is .02% and 0.20%
Pyrethrin kills adults but won't touch the eggs or larva stages. I've been spraying twice a day for 5 weeks and it only knocks down the flying adults. It does keep them under control.
So you were lucky if it worked for you, glad to hear it.

Took 7 pages before some one told you the only answer you need to hear... in two words.

Diatomaceous Earth.

I mix with my soil, and then put a layer on top of each plants soil surface. Make sure to allow plants to dry out. DE works best when dry.
Its good for your plants and it kills bugs.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Took 7 pages before some one told you the only answer you need to hear... in two words.

Diatomaceous Earth.

I mix with my soil, and then put a layer on top of each plants soil surface. Make sure to allow plants to dry out. DE works best when dry.
Its good for your plants and it kills bugs.

Definitely works!

1# Don't breathe the dust... it's super unhealthy
2# Don't get pool supply DE get garden supply DE (DE for pools is contaminated with all kinds of crap)

Gold123: I've tried the dunks up to 2 'pellets' per gallon, way more than 'required'. They work to CONTROL them only in my experience. I tried beneficial nematodes, letting them get bone dry, sand, and perlite. Guess what worked? Perlite. Many people have success with the other methods, but id try from the cheapest up. Which happens to be perlite. I put about 2" of perlite on top of the pots, a new sticky yellow strip laying horizontally right above the top of the pots, and a cup of beer on the floor. Next day about a hundred deaths, literally. They're not all gone yet, as it's only been a few days and itll take up to their life cycle of 2 weeks. But this is the first time i've felt positive about a solution working, as everyday i go in there, there are less and and less. You even get to see them freak out trying to get into the perlite since it's so white. It's like sweet sweet revenge.

Gnatrol you can already buy online in powder form if you want it, think i saw it on Amazon.

What makes you think it couldnt have been that bad of an infestation?
I've been doing this for awhile now and both the times I had a gnat outbreak I used Pyrethrin. I soak the top layer of coco so as to kill them as soon as the larva hatch. Works for me.

Everytime i spray Pyrethin it stunts the growth of the plants for a few days. Have you noticed that?

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so far the fail proof method i had used was to vacuum off the top layer of soil so you get the live suckers hiding in the crumbles and a lot of eggs, then apply water that has had a mosquito dunk smashed and soaked for at least 24 hours. i use a whole dunk in a 5 gal bucket of water. smash it up and fill the bucket, stir once or twice in 24-48 hours. water everything in your room after vacuuming. works like a charm.

Latest posts

Latest posts