What's new

Fridgidaire mini fridge demo and construction

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
phr3d0m: yes i removed them to get to the foam. the back panel was just cheap corregated plastic and wont be seen anyways. the top however will be put back into place so that it retains the factory look. on the back of the mdf board i may put a layer of fiberglass resin and sand it smooth then paint it black to match the cab. thanx for catching that i hadnt thought of it.

BrickHaus: yes i definitely agree that the foam would serve as a great sound insulator but the foam takes up quiet a bit of area. luckily my noise requirements arent that big of an issue so i think that its well worth the trade off. thanx for raiseing the qustion tho. and welcome to icmag.

anyone have any heating and refridgeration experience? im just about to the point of removeing freon lines and what im guesing is the condensor. it seems to be a closed loop system. i cant find any places to drain the freon and i have NO experience with this so im a lil worried about just cutting into the line.

If your going to cut refrigerant lines, I would recommend smashing the copper tubing with a pair of plyers 2 places about an inch apart. Then cut the tubing between these. You don't want to release refrigerant into the atmosphere (global warming, ect.). I ruptured a line accidentally once, and it put out a huge cloud of refrigerant. :(

festi

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The thing I'd do is take out those inside door shelves. That'll get you more growing space. You can use MDF panels to finish the job. Since the MDF won't be structural, I'd use 1/4" instead of 1/2". Squeeze out every sqaure inch of grow space you can.

Getting rid of the foam was a good idea. It's there to keep cold air inside and would work in the same way with a hot bulb, containing some of the heat you want to expel. Not sure if you're system is closed. Have you checked out the compressor? That would be the place to look, IMO. It's probably a 2 way valve on the housing. They have to have a valve to fill the tank after it's manufactured.

I've thought about this for a long time so I'm gonna ask. Have you considered leaving the refrigerator system intact and running? (not the freezer) With the heat of the bulb and the fridge on the warmest setting, the thermostat might maintain a decent temp for growing. Obviously the freezer wouldn't work for this scenario but maybe you could run the fridge only? The 12" cfl won't generate any heat anyway.

For airflow, I'd consider two exhausts. Pulling flower air into the veg area might be too hot for young plants. Pulling veg air into the flower area would be the way to go if you want only one exhaust. The problem with this is heat likes to rise. If your intake is higher than the exhaust, your intake might suck in already heated air. Hope this helps.

I agree, Discobiscuit. Why not use an operating fridge?? I have a 250 watt hps in a 6" cooltube w/axial fan in mine. That way you don't have to vent the cab itself, so no odor control is needed. Run a co2 line into the back and your girls will have a comfy, healthy home!

Last edited:
:woohoo:

It got a little funky during the gallery to album transition. For a while, I typed code by hand. Now, clicking is all that should be required. If any are still having trouble: How to put images into your posts

thanx FreezerBoy il try that next time i post some pics

Yeah, I wondered about that too. The junk yards are full of fridge cases.

well this isnt a budget build i wanted new so i got new. i work an hour and a half from home 10 to 12 hours a day. 12 days straight then 2 days off. i dont have time to go looking around junk yards for prospective builds. and this is my hobby so i dont mind spending the money that i work so hard for.

I agree, Discobiscuit. Why not use an operating fridge?? I have a 250 watt hps in a 6" cooltube w/axial fan in mine. That way you don't have to vent the cab itself, so no odor control is needed. Run a co2 line into the back and your girls will have a comfy, healthy home!

i wanted to gut the fridge and build it up. i enjoy fabricateing various things and this is right up my alley. i wanted to give it my personal touch and make something unique. different strokes for different folks.

dysfunktional, do you plan to leave the seal/magnet intact around the doors?

yes im definitely doing that. im going to have to carefully cut the plastic door inserts so that there is enough left so that i can spread some fiberglass to form the inner door. or now that iv been asking Melkor about his res being made of epoxy i may use that. idk bout that just yet.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Sounds like a good idea. That wheel cutter you have would peel through that plastic if you could guide the cut. One false move and it might bust the show. Don't ask how I'm aware of accidents such as this, lol.

The magnet seal is one of the primary aspects that makes a fridge project so plausible. Nice seal, no smell. Get the noise right and nobody would ever guess what the deal is. I wish I could have folks standing and partying right beside the box and have no clue where the tight bud they're smoking really comes from. That would be just too cool to comprehend.

Hope ya'll have a good weekend.

i hear ya man i have a few scars from this grinder. dam thing is handy as hell but it definitely makes you respeky it! lol the good thing is when it finds skin it carterizes(if thats how you even spell that) right away.

from the first time i saw this thread i have been to lowes like 50 times and every time i walk by this fridge i start chuckling to myself.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I took a look at the fridges at the dump. Although they're sitting outside on a concrete pad, they look pretty good. At least until I took a close look. Just about all of em had something wrong. A door seal ruined hear and a broken something or other there. If I get lucky and find a fridge before it goes to the dump, would probably be in much better shape.

I think somebody's already doing this so the idea isn't original. I want a 25 cu ft side-by-side for an all-in-one setup. Veg in the freezer and flower in the fridge. The freezer would be tall enough for two sections. I'd have to figure out how much height I need for mothers, rooted plants, seedlings and cuttings. Somebody may already be doing this but the ice maker water system could be rigged into a drip system, drain to waste or with a little engineering, a hydro tank supply.

I'm no longer considering an operational refrigerator, unless the freezer could be shut off. I'm still not considering a chilled fridge but the idea is cool, pun intended. Might be neat to utilize some of the existing wiring, switches and light sockets. Could put green bulbs in the oem sockets for dark lights. My mind gets an idea here and there but it doesn't translate to my motivation as quickly as it used to.

from the first time i saw this thread i have been to lowes like 50 times and every time i walk by this fridge i start chuckling to myself.

lol im glad that my project has helped you catch a laugh bro.

I took a look at the fridges at the dump. Although they're sitting outside on a concrete pad, they look pretty good. At least until I took a close look. Just about all of em had something wrong. A door seal ruined hear and a broken something or other there. If I get lucky and find a fridge before it goes to the dump, would probably be in much better shape.

I think somebody's already doing this so the idea isn't original. I want a 25 cu ft side-by-side for an all-in-one setup. Veg in the freezer and flower in the fridge. The freezer would be tall enough for two sections. I'd have to figure out how much height I need for mothers, rooted plants, seedlings and cuttings. Somebody may already be doing this but the ice maker water system could be rigged into a drip system, drain to waste or with a little engineering, a hydro tank supply.

I'm no longer considering an operational refrigerator, unless the freezer could be shut off. I'm still not considering a chilled fridge but the idea is cool, pun intended. Might be neat to utilize some of the existing wiring, switches and light sockets. Could put green bulbs in the oem sockets for dark lights. My mind gets an idea here and there but it doesn't translate to my motivation as quickly as it used to.

that would be awsum bro a NGB style fridge all in one.and the ice maker drip system hell of an idea. i hope you do a thread on the build. any ideas on lighting, exhaust, or how you will do the utilities?

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
All that stuff would have to be customized I guess. Would be hard to picture w/o having the fridge to speculate. I'm sure it would be similar to the way you're doing it. I guess ya have to get things broken down to a point and build em back up.

would you be gutting all the insulation out? i love the customizeing part. if i could quit my job and just fabricate differrent kinds of grow cabs i would without thinking twice. im so full of ideas and only a small fractiuon of time to put them to work. i hope you find a fridge to build 25 cubic feet would be one bad ass grow!!!

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Not exactly sure about the extent of demo. Plastic interiors tend to be molded and in the way for the most part. I agree with your extent of removal as the best way to maximize growing space.

If I could get my hands on an old side-by-side or better yet, a commercial model, the interior may be unobtrusive enough to leave in tact. I would have to cut the same holes needed with a gutted fridge so the job would only be harder.

Getting the opportunity to see various fridge engineers is a plus. Maybe I'll get off my lazy and join the ranks some day.

Latest posts

Latest posts