What's new

Foxtailing and harvest time (sinai strain)

monsterlobster

Mine was fatter than that. Thats why I am wondering if there was a mix up at TRSC. I havent seen anyone else mention it. I still have a couple packs left for another run at some point

Oh I'm sorry for not clarifying this part, these seeds didn't come frronm TRSC, i got it from mylast trip to sinai (bag seeds)

Rembetis

Very interesting. Hope you are making seeds. TRSC's stock was collected from 90 to 97 period so you have some fresh genetics. Did you have a chance to try any Bango?

monsterlobster

Very interesting. Hope you are making seeds. TRSC's stock was collected from 90 to 97 period so you have some fresh genetics. Did you have a chance to try any Bango?

I've collected some pollen from a male I've grown before (other than this indica looking pheno) but it wasn't a vigorous plant so i got hesitant to try pollination this round.
As for bango, it's just the Egyptian street name for low quality weed,it's full of seeds and has very little keif, also lots of leaves snd stems. Not recommended at all :D

Rembetis

As for bango, it's just the Egyptian street name for low quality weed,it's full of seeds and has very little keif, also lots of leaves snd stems. Not recommended at all :D
I was there in the 80's. Bango was the word for weed. The reason I asked is because TRSC is selling Bango from Sudan. I have my suspicions that the Sinai and Bango are related, maybe even the same strain grown in different locations since the Bedou travel all over the area from Sinai all the way down to Sudan.
Sudan is producing tons of it. Bango doesnt really match with tropical strains from what I have seen of it. It may need the drier climate or longer photo period to bring out its best. I bought a couple packs but it hasnt been a priority. The Lebanese has become a favorite of ours and they are somewhat similar so I have been running it. If I can find time to do a Bango run I plan to experiment with the lights and see if I can figure out what is what.

I dont know how it is now but back then the Camel trains came in off the desert every so often. I got to see it a couple times. It was a real sight to see. Hundreds of Camels loaded down with stuff from down south. We were out at the pyramids one time when they came thru.

Last edited:

monsterlobster

I was there in the 80's. Bango was the word for weed. The reason I asked is because TRSC is selling Bango from Sudan. I have my suspicions that the Sinai and Bango are related, maybe even the same strain grown in different locations since the Bedou travel all over the area from Sinai all the way down to Sudan. Sudan is producing tons of it. Bango doesnt really match with tropical strains from what I have seen of it. It may need the drier climate or longer photo period to bring out its best. I bought a couple packs but it hasnt been a priority. The Lebanese has become a favorite of ours and they are somewhat similar so I have been running it. If I can find time to do a run I plan to experiment with the lights and see if I can figure out what is what.

I dont know how it is now but back then the Camel trains came in off the desert every so often. I got to see it a couple times. It was a real sight to see. Hundreds of Camels loaded down with stuff from down south. We were out at the pyramids one time when they came thru.

Yes, there is the Sudanese bango but I've never came across it, i don't think it's common these days as before.
And you seem to be strain hunter from a long time, can't imagine the amazing phenos you've came by so far!!

therevverend

Veteran
please describe the high bit furthr, i think the sinai might be a slight bit similar to old maroccan Strains, since i never heard a OLD maroccan smokereport, can you describe a bit closer? more reports please
Mine was CBD dominate, which completely changes the effects. Fletch describes his as quite potent which means his was THC dominate. This range of effects between CBD and THC is standard for many Middle Eastern types. Probably closer to Lebanese then Moroccan. I described it as a 'buzz' as opposed to 'high' and that's the easiest way to put it.

By 'buzz' I mean alcohol. It wasn't psychoactive at all. It was almost all body high I felt from my neck down. I had a low tolerance and I smoked most of a joint so I felt the full effects. My head felt a bit floaty, a bit detached. None of the distortion of time and space or psychedelic or religious epiphany type effects I get from my usual stuff.

To get the full effects from this strain you'd really want to grow enough to mix many different plants together into hashish. That way you get a full bodied high with the psychoactive THC types mixed with the CBD types. The most potent drug strains tend to be 10-1 THC to CBD because CBD blocks THC receptors. In hash producing countries THC and CBD tends to be more variable.

I was there in the 80's. Bango was the word for weed. The reason I asked is because TRSC is selling Bango from Sudan. I have my suspicions that the Sinai and Bango are related, maybe even the same strain grown in different locations since the Bedou travel all over the area from Sinai all the way down to Sudan.
In the early 90s I knew an Egyptian guy, smoked some hashish he brought over with him. Comparable to decent Moroccan, not amazing but good. He said the hash plants were grown in southern Egypt and were large plants with more sativa type traits. Grown near the Nile with plenty of water. I think they're a different type then the Middle Eastern type desert plants. That's just speculation. I'm sure they're still there, not extinct, Egyptians love hashish. Might be hard to find them. Sudan and Egypt are huge countries, no doubt variation in strains from region to region.

Rembetis

I dont know about the situation now since there has been civil war and Sudan splitting in two between Arab north and African South but at the time I was there Sudan was considered a sister to Egypt. It was considered to be southern Egypt. Very strong ties with climate, culture and trade. I assumed that if they are using the same term then there must be a connection.

What your Egyptian friend told you has me wondering. Isnt the narrow leaf a humid tropical adaptation and the broad leaf more of a dry climate adaptation? Plants growing next to the Nile or out in the Waadi's (oasis) would still be surrounded with hot, super dry air. The Nile Delta seems like a place where Sativas would do well.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
It looks like the dli is too high. I believe the buds were not really dense as you were never 100% into flower, and so still stretching a little. Now when it should be over for them, they have decided they can go on. This is generally too much light, either in terms of intensity or hours. I used to believe heat was the cause but with the advent of LED lights we have been able to separate the effects of heat from those of high light input. I don't see any heat damage though there is some rather dark green foliage. Often linked to excess nitrogen through excess transpiration. In the newer growth there are spear like leaves pointing upwards not outwards which suggests too much light intensity is the key issue.

Lower light levels and reduce light hours to get a quick finish. These are wasting your time now, as the bottom half of the bud is just going to shit. You might want to make a feed up with low N to make the tops pull if from below as it's very mobile. Perhaps half your usual feed but keep the PK up a bit. If you use a calmag be sure it's not supply N.

therevverend

Veteran
I dont know about the situation now since there has been civil war and Sudan splitting in two between Arab north and African South but at the time I was there Sudan was considered a sister to Egypt. It was considered to be southern Egypt. Very strong ties with climate, culture and trade. I assumed that if they are using the same term then there must be a connection.
The way he explained it, there was growing down south because laws were less enforced, much less of a police and army presence. There's a lot more population and security is much tighter in the north. In the south people are more relaxed and the locals are in control. People could grow decent size farms and big plants. I know Cairo and Egypt have always been a huge market for hashish, much of the Turkish and Lebanese trade was with Egypt, up to the present day. I don't know if Egypt produces enough to satisfy it's demand or if it's a net importer. Of course there's probably trade both ways up and down the Nile, seeds going both directions. No reason Sinai varieties couldn't end up in Khartoum or tropical African varieties end up near Cairo. He said the locally produced stuff was more likely to be smoked as flower while hashish was more likely to be imported but there was local hashish production. He talked about seeds, it was many years ago but I wish I'd kept contact.

The Sinai was an odd plant, it's not really an Indica or a Sativa in the sense we use them. The leaves were fairly thin (looking back at my pictures I'm struck by how thin they are; comparable to a pure sativa) and it had those foxtails but it also showed similarity to the central Asian strains. It's growth pattern was weird, the males auto flowered in June two months before the females. Outdoors the females triggered early but flowered longer then what's normal, from late July to early October, 10-11 weeks. My plants usually flower from late August to early October, that's nearly 4 more weeks then what's normal. I went back and checked monsterlobster's record, he says his have gone 11 weeks but he says they sexed before he switched the lights back!

One other thing I forgot to mention about the smoke, it went well mixed with tobacco. The taste was smooth and the high was pleasant. The strain could be a old one. Bedouins themselves are a large nation stretched across several countries and have their own culture different then the Nile culture. I noticed Funkyhorse mentioned earlier about Bedouins mixing ganja with tobacco.

Yes they've been linked together on and off, at least the Nile part, for hundreds or thousands of years. Sudan is like Ethiopia and Egypt to a lesser degree, with Christian and Muslim parts. The Muslims tried instituting Islamic law in the Christian parts which partly started the Civil War. Deciding how to split governing and splitting meagre resources was the main cause. I think the Egyptian Nile part of Sudan is conservative Arab Muslim while the east and south is more like the Sahel or sub-Saharan Africa.

We've been getting off topic but I'll add I did some searching about ganja in Sudan. Not a lot but it seems like the main grow areas are in South Darfur, near the border with the Central African Republic.

https://www.dabangasudan.org/en/all-news/article/sudan-largest-producer-of-cannabis-in-africa

https://www.dabangasudan.org/en/all-news/article/haul-of-cannabis-in-south-darfur

This is a different region of Sudan then the Nile, where Real's dwarf sativa comes from. It looks like these are potent tropical ganja varieties. It looks like they're exporting quite a bit of the stuff, to the Red Sea and probably up the Nile into Egypt. The world ganja trade is really something.

Rembetis

Rev, I find these discussions fascinating but I can see where others may not. Govt pressures have had a huge effect on traditional growing areas and it is having an effect on the strains as we know them.
I have a bunch of Egyptian Belly Dancer friends and oddly enough there is an emoji here so I will leave it at that

:dancer::dancer::dancer:

therevverend

Veteran
Rev, I find these discussions fascinating but I can see where others may not.
Me too, I wasn't complaining...only I don't want to go too deep into Sudanese strains when this is someone else's thread about their Sinai grow. If we get too deep into the topic it's probably best to either find a thread about Sudanese stuff or start our own. Both to be respectful (although I doubt he's upset, and I'm guessing he's enjoying it) but also in case someone is looking for info on Sudanese strains they can search and find info. Not trying to end the discussion which is what people sometimes think when I suggest 'we're going off topic'..

monsterlobster

It looks like the dli is too high. I believe the buds were not really dense as you were never 100% into flower, and so still stretching a little. Now when it should be over for them, they have decided they can go on. This is generally too much light, either in terms of intensity or hours. I used to believe heat was the cause but with the advent of LED lights we have been able to separate the effects of heat from those of high light input. I don't see any heat damage though there is some rather dark green foliage. Often linked to excess nitrogen through excess transpiration. In the newer growth there are spear like leaves pointing upwards not outwards which suggests too much light intensity is the key issue.

Lower light levels and reduce light hours to get a quick finish. These are wasting your time now, as the bottom half of the bud is just going to shit. You might want to make a feed up with low N to make the tops pull if from below as it's very mobile. Perhaps half your usual feed but keep the PK up a bit. If you use a calmag be sure it's not supply N.

I was thinking of putting her into 10 L/14 D schedule to finish her up.
This ks week 13 now so I've started to flushing and it seems ro be ripping well till now. So I'll just wait and see :D
Thanks alot for your amazing advice

monsterlobster

Me too, I wasn't complaining...only I don't want to go too deep into Sudanese strains when this is someone else's thread about their Sinai grow. If we get too deep into the topic it's probably best to either find a thread about Sudanese stuff or start our own. Both to be respectful (although I doubt he's upset, and I'm guessing he's enjoying it) but also in case someone is looking for info on Sudanese strains they can search and find info. Not trying to end the discussion which is what people sometimes think when I suggest 'we're going off topic'..

I'm more than enjoying this. It started as some questions and now it's a thread with lots of interesting and amazing info!!
Please keep going its a great read for me and I'm sure for alot of other members here.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran

If you have some insight to Sudanese strains why not continue the discussion in the Sudanese thread?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=374723

I for one am interested.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
What your Egyptian friend told you has me wondering. Isnt the narrow leaf a humid tropical adaptation and the broad leaf more of a dry climate adaptation? Plants growing next to the Nile or out in the Waadi's (oasis) would still be surrounded with hot, super dry air. The Nile Delta seems like a place where Sativas would do well.

An adaptation to humidity maybe, but not necessarily a tropical trait.

Like this Central European ruderalis, Middle Eastern and North African strains derive much of their ancestry from the Cannabis sativa genepool. In Africa it's hard to tell where the genetic border goes but they probably overlap to some extent.

Rembetis

Humidity is key here. Afghanistan's dry climate is a paradise compared to what you get when you leave the banks of the Nile. We know narrow leaved types grow in Afghanistan but man, its got to be a tough adaptation for something like that to evolve in Egypt.

Part of what I was trying to get at with my previous comments was that prohibition is a major factor in trying to untangle where these strains come from originally and so I have to wonder if some of the variations we are seeing are a result of that. For example production moving south from Egypt into the jungles of south Sudan due to eradication efforts.

Guys, I had responded in the Sudan thread before and Ngakpa got testy with me so I deleted everything. He wants to push a certain narrative for the seeds he is selling and thats fine. I am not trying to interfere with his business. Just not sure I can agree with his story. Even though the seeds were collected in Sudan I am not convinced that that is the origin.

Having grown Sinai and Lebanese side by side I saw very similar plants and the Sudan Bango fits in with those strains from the pictures I have seen. That's why I mentioned Sudan in this thread.

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
Guys, I had responded in the Sudan thread before and Ngakpa got testy with me so I deleted everything.
Yeah if it's a Ngakpa thread I try to avoid it. Turns into an argument every time.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Guys, I had responded in the Sudan thread before and Ngakpa got testy with me so I deleted everything. He wants to push a certain narrative for the seeds he is selling and thats fine. I am not trying to interfere with his business. Just not sure I can agree with his story. Even though the seeds were collected in Sudan I am not convinced that that is the origin.

I doubt he's gonna post anymore. I would have preferred if he had stayed around as he's pretty much the only one who knows what their strains are and where they were sourced. I used to hang around at u k 4 2 0 for the best info but the same thing happened there.

I'm bored a lot these days so what do I have to do to get a conversation flowing? :D

I haven't grown Sinai nor Bango but I have grown Ethiopian Highland. (Males only..) and I always felt there was something different about it genetically. People report a typical sativa phenotype and a stockier phenotype yet there were no obvious wld indica features. I always suspected there was a Middle Eastern connection..

Latest posts

Latest posts