What's new

Found old seeds: "GD London 1972"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

recent guest

gotcha... you should germ those other two now, imho, in order to increase your chances of getting plants of both sexes.

What Im doing is testing its growth habits to see what I can do with it later. I plan on preserving the plant in clone form regardless of the sex. This way I can either a) harvest and test the bud while keeping the mother plant alive for future breeding projects, BXing, and pollination from a potential male from the remaining seeds when I do pop them, or b) gather pollen and make crosses to other lines, saving some to cross with a potential female from the remaining seeds when I do germ them, while keeping the father plant alive for future breeding projects.

With three non feminized seeds of what I presume is the same genetic line, my chances of getting all three of the same sex is (in rough theory) 12.5%, and if that is the case, there is a (in rough theory) 50% chance that I get all three female and visa versa. This gives me a 6% chance (in rough theory) of getting the worst case senario of three males (actually the worst case scenario at this point would be my cat eating the existing seedling and the other two seeds not germinating, but lets hold on to our britches here). So I feel that I have a fairly good shot of preserving the genetics, even if I just end up making homemade feminized seeds from a single female, or backcrossing like hell to get as close as I can, or maybe just having a clone-only strain for a while.

R

recent guest

Actually, after thinking about it, worst case scenario would be that I get a hemp plant that hermies and pollenates the rest of my crop, then the feds seize my property and send me to guantanamo bay without a trial, killing my cat in the process.

oceangrownkush

Veteran
If you get males then the BX'ing would best be saved for any keeper F2 females.. If they are popping your chances are good for preserving the line, your chances that anything in such a low number of seeds is worthy of a monocrop, let alone back crossing, is slim to none... F2 for more beans and hunt for the real gold, IMO. Have fun dude.

edit; Meant to ask, did you mean to back cross from any males you get in the seedlot? Or from a new donor? If you have males/females then incrossing and backcrossing to keeper females from a large selection (say 5+) of males from the line would lock in the keeper traits quite easily.. People forget that backcrossing would be entirely unnecessary if we had males from the clones original seedlot... Maybe one BC generation, but none more, would be overkill.

Space Toker

Veteran
still not sure I understand, I thought you said 6 seed originally. But now it is 1 seed and so 100 percent germ but you gave one to your girlfriend to try? 3 or more different stories here from what I can tell, which is it?

R

RustlewoodNW

no need to clone a male - if successfully harvested and stored, pollen from one selected stud will be enough to sex with for years.. there's a good pollen harvesting thread if you need it. Cheers! i cant wait to see what comes of this..

R

recent guest

still not sure I understand, I thought you said 6 seed originally. But now it is 1 seed and so 100 percent germ but you gave one to your girlfriend to try? 3 or more different stories here from what I can tell, which is it?

Yeah I looked the thread over last time I posted and realized that it was really confusing. I meant to correct the ambiguities but I guess I forgot to post. Im a spacy toker.

Anyway there are six of these seeds, but only three with me where I am living. The others are at my Mom's place, which is not far, and I didnt forget about them, but I just stort of started talking about the ones I had and never clarified, which was my fault. I left three behind because I live with (near) friends that grow who come and go from my place, and I just was thinking security. I mentioned before that I am running a few other strains, and my girlfriend helped me plant those, and that post I made didnt make sense (id quote myself here but I dont know how to do that). Also those other seeds looked less mature to me, but maybe thats the way these seeds just look, because I got a pack of DNA Genetics Chocolope that had three completely tiger stripped seeds and three khaki colored ones with no markings at all. So who knows. But anyway thats how it stands, and I want to use the other two that I have for this breeding project, and I had pretty much started to discount the others as far as the F2 generation was concerned, I think I'll try to run them when I plant F2 seeds from whatever this is, (Im pretty sure I described my plan in a previous post with a bunch of percentage estimates) because its a good looking plant, not the strongest grower in my group but not the weakest by a long shot. Im waiting for photos to upload.

R

recent guest

Ok friends, here are some photo updates.

Theres a little bit of cat damage on the close fan leaf but other than that its a healthy plant. I flush once a week by letting the pot float in a 5 galon bucket of oxygenated spring water (i got from the ground, not a bottle, and bubble air through it) that is at room temperature, until water seeps up from the surface of the soil and reaches the brim of the pot. Then I pick it up and let it drain, and repeat the procedure with a different bucket containing a dilute compost tea / 6-4-4 nutrient solution. 1/4 - 1/3 strength.

When I repotted from a 4 inch pot to a 1 galon pot, I mixed 1 part peat moss, 1 part perlite, and 4 parts Ocean Forest potting soil. I added 1 cup of 1/4'' screened homemade bio-charcoal that has been inoculated with a compost tea. Then I mixed a dilute IBA/Nutrient solution and did the bucket-dunk soak.

This plant is the only one that I have not LST'd, because I really want to see how it grows.

seen em in 72 they cut a live album europe 72 was there at motor cycle stadium in frankfurt hope u sprout all 6 of ur probably pure old school strain or strains good luck

R

recent guest

seen em in 72 they cut a live album europe 72 was there at motor cycle stadium in frankfurt hope u sprout all 6 of ur probably pure old school strain or strains good luck

It must have been a good time. She's not looking as sativa as I had hoped / expected though. Maybe that will change?

silverhazefiend

"Aint no love in the heart of the city"
Veteran
Yea it deff will change if they are ..that's how some strains are ..but I would rather and indica from that time frame vs a sativa ...less flower time ..easier to work with and identify traits ..jus easier overall .. and for breeding and growing .not having to wait 12 + weeks for seeds and smoke isn't as easy as it sounds takes alot of dedication ..but that's jus me persoanlly I alot of people is looking for that super trippy "sativa" but c'mon strains weren't nearly as refined as today ..poster mag picks looked liked wild sativas ..it' might have had qualities not have not been breed into today's standards but who actually knos ..besides memory and nostalgia + not having top strains at hand to compare it to it's really a matter of opinion ..

But I'm rambling to sum it up I am + 1 for a 72 indica ..harder to find easier to work with

Drift13

Looking very healthy for :jawdrop: 40 + year old seed. I have subscribed :watchplant: and will be following along. Wishing you the very best on this grow. :plant grow:

R

recent guest

Looking very healthy for :jawdrop: 40 + year old seed. I have subscribed :watchplant: and will be following along. Wishing you the very best on this grow. :plant grow:

Thank! Yeah Im pretty surprised too. Actually very surprised. But it occurred to me that, since my granddad made his living selling vegetables at farmers markets from his small farm in washington state, PERHAPS these seeds might be, in reality, F2's or even F5's or something from the some seeds he got in '72? That would make more sense to me since I never expected them to sprout. And, check out the leaf structure. Its sativa, for sure, but it doesnt look like one of those OLD school sativas, know what I mean? The way I found the seeds, it looked like he smoked a bag of weed at the '72 london concert and saved a couple seeds. I would expect selected F2, F3, Fn seeds to be stored differently. But then theres the whole legality thing. I visited his farm 100+ times and never saw a ganja plant growing, but...hmmm makes me wonder about the old man.

R

recent guest

OK so ive been trying since the last post to post pictures of this beauty...so about an hour...i keep getting the Internal Server Error message....UGH... so maybe next week. Shes not gonna die...shes in good hands. And I say 'she' because, while I was hoping for a couple males for some pollen and some seeds for next years season in my garden outdoors... ALL showing female preflowers. ALL fucking 18 plants. I had to start 3 malawi regular seeds just HOPING one would be a male. I'll try to get a photo of this plant to you guys, shes looking really great, very sativa, no deficiencies, no pests, very happy. She will keep growing and hopefully put on a show for you when the internets start working again. :)

-----all in all, your just a...nother brick in the wall

R

recent guest

GD London '72 is the pot in the foreground. Behind it in the big pot is my Destroyer mom, 100% sativa, very slim leaf structure, and next to her in the two little white pots are two clones from her. Cheers.

R

recent guest

Growth is pretty out of control in the grow room! I am rapidly running out of space. Female preflowers on all the plants, but they arent showing on the GD London yet. I am debating repotting, but I really dont have enough space. The greenhouse is finished but I am waiting for the electrician to instal the heater. It gets up to 79 degrees F in the day but in the morning its 9 degrees!

Im trying to post a picture right now but the question is, if the plant becomes root bound, will that inhibit growth down the road if I let it 'suffer' for another week? Or should I sacrifice some of my other plants by moving them out farther from the light to make room for a bigger pot? She looks healthy, is there any correlation to plant size and when a plant needs to be re-potted?

R

recent guest

another couple inches of growth since the last post. I pinched the top off and now there are six branches growing upward.
:tumbleweed:
thread is dead!

R

RustlewoodNW

I'm so happy your grandfathers seeds germed.. and no a little root bounding won't hurt, I was taught that its good to let roots get all the way to the bottom and congregate real good but not at all for too long or too tight; enough that the bottom dangles off shit like turnip tentacles when light parted.
So there's only that one planted so far out of the 3 with you? Again I can't wait to see what happens.. I'd plan on crosses to make and whatever male you think, sativa genotypes (and or differing indica lines if you arent too big of a sativa guy or lowering flower times) or expression wise, would compliment the high/taste of the GD strain, then pop as many seeds as you can of that and find whichever expresses the most unlike the father you're familiar with.
Also a backcross if any other seeds turn out male would be ideal too but already mentioned, best would be to pop all you can at once and pick the best, just my :2cents: gl

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
They are coming along nicely Bear :good:
What smells are you getting with a stem rub?? :chin:
:joint:

Status
Not open for further replies.