What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Found old seeds: "GD London 1972"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

recent guest

I wish you best of luck

I'd suggesting keepin on eye on them an being close to that water pipe as too much heat could cause problems . I'm sure it's not necessary to have them next to such a high heat source. I'm also concerned about that jar method I'm not sure if your trying to imitate a done for humidity but I'd be concerned no oxygen might have ill effects

Also curious as your last post seems to lead up to the germ an In your previous post you said 100% germ . Soo did those seeds crack ?

Please don't take my post the wrong way . I'm just offering my advice from my Lil bit of experience . I'm excited to see stock from the 70's in hands of the community an thankful we may see your progress

1luvbigherb

I thought about the oxygen problem too. I wrung out the paper towel, and like I said I made it into an inverted cone shape so that the seeds are only partially touching it, the rest of the seed coat is exposed to the air in the jar. Since the limited chemical reactions that are taking place within the sealed jar are either not anerobic or are not widespread enough to use up the amount of oxygen that was in there to begin with, I thought I'd be alright.

Sorry about the misleading post about germ rate. I have only tried to germinate one of the seeds, since Im a little wary about wether I'll be able to make it to the end of a grow with the situation im in, and I find these to be too valuable to risk losing all three. So, 33% of the seeds have germinated but 100% of the seeds I am trying to germinate have germinated. Unfortunately thats not the case anymore, since ive posted that I tried to germ another regular cannabiogen caribe but its been a couple of days and nothing has happened.

Also, I am so anxious and excited to see the seeds sprout that I open the jar and check them every few hours, and that replenishes any O2 that may have been lost if there was any.

H

hard rain

I did not think there was any chance of these sprouting so congratulations. I am going to try this method with some old skunk 1 x durban poison that I have been unable to germinate.
Good luck with the remaining seeds and I hope the one you have is female.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Or the new old secrete ingredient male lol... If ya get a stud consider keepin him to... Never know what ya holdin and if bean num 2 and 3 r girls ur gonna regret not keepin the stud.... Just ask chemdawg.....

R

recent guest

I did not think there was any chance of these sprouting so congratulations. I am going to try this method with some old skunk 1 x durban poison that I have been unable to germinate.
Good luck with the remaining seeds and I hope the one you have is female.

Thanks! Pretty excited. Just popped two C99 beans like this that just arrived :dance013:

Definitely cloning it, whatever it turns out to be (m or f). Female would be great so I can see how it smokes, but i'll take what I get.

Hey how do you quote multiple people/posts at once?

R

recent guest

Ok well she (she??) is going pretty well, its looking very sativa to me at this point. I will try to post updated pics BUT I think I may have left my camera outside and then it snowed. Good thing I keep it in a waterproof diving case I suppose. Peace.

R

recent guest

Ok, this was the only photo I could find. Its from about ten days ago, as you can see by the date (haha I should have waited three more minutes to take the pic!), so they are all much bigger now. Right now I have a couple questions: All my plants were started from seed at exactly the same time, and all of them sprouted within 48 hours of one another. They are all in the exact same growing medium, under the same conditions. As you can see from the photo, well perhaps not this photo, and if I find my camera I'll post more, but two of them are HUGE relative to the others. My Reserva Privada OG Kush has barely sprouted its second set of leaves and my Cannabiogen Destroyer and Caribe plants are already branching and have large fan leaves. The GD London is somewhere in between.

GD London 1972 is the plant in the small green pot roughly in the center/lower left of the photo, directly to the right of the thermometer (next to the larger plant which is the caribe, looking way too indica in my mind...)

R

recent guest

Wait, shit, no its not! Haha my fault, look next to the date in the photo and you'll see the label for the GD. Well, this is the only photo of it ive got, and you can only see a little bit of its leaf. God im stoned.

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
:good: Congrats on getting those old seeds to pop Bear :good:
Talk of trading seeds/clones is against the TOU but what you can do is make some F2's or some crosses with your GD 1972 and send them in to the Server Fund @ the SeedBay, I for one would try to get some :D
Congrats again on getting those 40yr old seeds to sprout
:plant grow:

R

recent guest

Talk of trading seeds/clones is against the TOU but what you can do is make some F2's or some crosses with your GD 1972 and send them in to the Server Fund @ the SeedBay, I for one would try to get some :D
Congrats again on getting those 40yr old seeds to sprout
:plant grow:

I apologize for that. Sounds good, I will definitely see what I can do. Does anyone know if it is possible/feasible to use pollen from different males to pollenate different branches on the same female? If I get any males this time around (and I'm sure I will...conditions are pretty dry and I have been using 24/0 light cycle with a few reg seeds) they will be from Ace Panama, Malawi, Cannabiogen Caribe, or Canned Abyss' Spyder (an auto). Definitely going to do some cloning and crossing.

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
I apologize for that. Sounds good, I will definitely see what I can do. Does anyone know if it is possible/feasible to use pollen from different males to pollenate different branches on the same female? If I get any males this time around (and I'm sure I will...conditions are pretty dry and I have been using 24/0 light cycle with a few reg seeds) they will be from Ace Panama, Malawi, Cannabiogen Caribe, or Canned Abyss' Spyder (an auto). Definitely going to do some cloning and crossing.
Sure is mate, you just have to keep your males separate from your females, collect the male pollen(keeping it separate from each other) then you can use a small art brush to gently/carefully pollinate the branch you want to use for making seeds. You can make various crosses on the 1 female using this method, just have to be careful.
:joint:

bodymind

Veteran
hey, bear riot. i know that some people thin it's ok to veg with 24 hours light, but it's REALLY much better to give your plants dark periods to rest and metabolize all that light. Sativas really need more darkness too, i veg on a 16/8 cycle for sativas which is more light than they ever got at one time in their native latitudes. At the very least drop your light to 18/6 - you will be rewarded with much healthier plants. I would love to try out seeds from 1972 but only as a pure line. If you only have all males or all females then you will have to cross or reverse and self. Preservation in whatever form is available is a must.

R

recent guest

hey, bear riot. i know that some people thin it's ok to veg with 24 hours light, but it's REALLY much better to give your plants dark periods to rest and metabolize all that light. Sativas really need more darkness too, i veg on a 16/8 cycle for sativas which is more light than they ever got at one time in their native latitudes. At the very least drop your light to 18/6 - you will be rewarded with much healthier plants. I would love to try out seeds from 1972 but only as a pure line. If you only have all males or all females then you will have to cross or reverse and self. Preservation in whatever form is available is a must.

Definitely know what you mean. The closer you can get to the growing conditions of any plants evolutionary/historical climate, the better it will do, generally speaking. I was only using 24/0 because my light timer was broken and I was going to have to go away for the upcoming weekend, so I didn't really see an option. Luckily my new timers have arrived and the grow room has been 20/4 for five days, then switched down incrementally to add an hour of darkness each night until 18/6, and now is in the fourth day of the cycle. All plants in my indoor garden, including apricot seedlings and citrus trees, are very happy and growing vigorously.

Also, I repotted on the 23rd, and I have used homemade biochar as a soil conditioner in several of the pots, mixed with a coir/guano/perlite/potting soil mashup. Looking promising so far, I think charcoal is very interesting, I suggest looking into agricar/biochar gardening on Google or somesuch. In Greenhouse Seeds' Strain Hunters video, the Malawi growers use charcoal to good effect.

R

recent guest

Merry Christmas everyone. Hope you all are enjoying some good christmas trees.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Definitely know what you mean. The closer you can get to the growing conditions of any plants evolutionary/historical climate, the better it will do, generally speaking. I was only using 24/0 because my light timer was broken and I was going to have to go away for the upcoming weekend, so I didn't really see an option. Luckily my new timers have arrived and the grow room has been 20/4 for five days, then switched down incrementally to add an hour of darkness each night until 18/6, and now is in the fourth day of the cycle. All plants in my indoor garden, including apricot seedlings and citrus trees, are very happy and growing vigorously.

Alright! Now we'll get to see that old bean grow.

Dont forget to label the branches of the female with which males pollen was used on it.

R

recent guest

Well, I have officially been bitten by a king cobra. Up yours, Santa!

Space Toker

Veteran
I am not sure I understand. You only had one seed of 6 that made it, or you only germinated one of those old seeds? and what's the king cobra thing? anyway best of luck

R

recent guest

I am not sure I understand. You only had one seed of 6 that made it, or you only germinated one of those old seeds? and what's the king cobra thing? anyway best of luck

Three seeds, germed one and saved two. 100% germination rate with 40yo seeds! :woohoo:

Edit: saved 5, but I only have two saved that im going to be using for this generation, the others look a bit flakey and are stored in another place)

Forget the king cobra thing I guess. My humor goes unappreciated quite often. Maybe were smoking different strains.

bodymind

Veteran
gotcha... you should germ those other two now, imho, in order to increase your chances of getting plants of both sexes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts