What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

forum aims

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
to discuss and promote advanced cannabis botany and advanced growing techniques
please try to keep discussions on a civil basis and backed up by either research or actual evidence you have gathered
from growing
not old wifes tales and urban legends theres enough of that about already

OP

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks oldpink, Gypsy and all who supported the idea :)

until tomorrow,

VG :tiphat:

MrFista

Veteran
I support VG as a mod he's far saner than I will ever be.

Thanks for putting this forum here, you OFC guys think this is the right place for my plant biology notes? If so, please could someone review them for accuracy as they were part of a learning process - not a finshed article as such. And there's gaps to fill of course.

Also, want a bunch of char science?

An article kind of like

Water retention - reference

Crop increases - reference

Controlling pH - reference

etc. I'll just do it post by post breaking down the properties of char and the science supporting these.

I think we should be firm about references - anecdotal evidence and opinions only to support and discuss the underlying science - or this forum becomes yet another huge volume of anecdotal inaccuracies, old wives tales and meanderings.

Thoughts?

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
thx VG for bringing up this subject.....

and thx OP for making it happen

it would be nice to have threads where its locked for public posting, but a select few with botany degrees, or vast experience and knowledge would be able to write freely

that way the clutter would be cleaned up and we would know none of it was BS

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
good luck gaining resolution with that thread. They remind me of Clinton asking what the definition of 'is' is.

Can we ask that other threads get moved here? Technically i guess i already did with my pm, but i was wondering if there would be a bit of a reorganization, bringing a bunch of these type threads here.

My thread What is the least amount of dark hours to keep 99% of plants in flower? isnt exactly advanced science, but it does highlight a few principles that seem to be forgotten because of the convenience of 12/12.

-

great idea! defoliation, anyone?

There is a decent thread on defoliation here:
Defoliation

I think the interesting part of this thread will be if we can get actual scientific work on here. Pictures and comparison stories are great, but it'd be great to get properly done experiments with identical environments (way harder than it sounds) as well as proper control groups and appropriately applied scientific method.

Can't wait to see what this place can stir up, woo hoo!

peace,
sg

I

Iron_Lion

Cool idea for a forum. if its a success it will really set the bar a bit higher compared to other canna boards.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I do wish to make a statement concerning this forum which to me is warmly received.

There is an intuitive aspect to scientific exploration. If it did not exist, nothing would be hypothesized, researched, discovered, nor proven. I do not wish to form a divide between those explorers with plants and dirt (media) and those explorers with plants, dirt, microscopes and academia. Rather, I wish to be a simplifying conduit between the two. This, if anything is the very meaning of my existence.

There are many accomplished growers as members here and the fruits of their labor is displayed pictorially, including those of my dear friend Verdant, however visual and thought perception are illusive and one does not always know the underlying reason for their success. This is where scientific explanation can be valuable. We can learn what it ‘actually probably’ is that is causing the growth of our plants. This is all that me and my littlebig brother, Spurr, wish to address here.

For example one may loudly state that they have a highly bacterial or fungal soil, compost or compost tea but in reality this can only be verified by microscope. This intends no belittling nor offense but is only intended to inject the scientific spectrum into what they are seeing and accomplishing so that others may replicate the techniques ‘more’ accurately and with greater understanding.

I feel some responsibility for introducing scientific application in growing techniques to ICmag outside of the well addressed breeding topic. My compatriots in this endeavor have been CT Guy and Spurr my student/teachers (whom I taught everything they know to……giggle) and now Mr Fista. Jaykush was practicing scientifically based growing techniques all along but called it ‘lessons from nature’…..Come on Jay, get with the program huh? I have always told CT guy and Spurr that they would surpass me in knowledge and teaching and indeed they are and will.

Let’s set an example with this forum and show that plain logic, reason, intuition, practice and science can come together

M

mugenbao

The most interesting threads to me have always been the ones which present fact-based evidence and information about growing, so I'm very happy to see this new forum! ICMag is already the #1 resource on the internet for growing info, and this will make it easier for folks to find the most advanced growing information available.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
There is a decent thread on defoliation here:
Defoliation

I think the interesting part of this thread will be if we can get actual scientific work on here. Pictures and comparison stories are great, but it'd be great to get properly done experiments with identical environments (way harder than it sounds) as well as proper control groups and appropriately applied scientific method.

Can't wait to see what this place can stir up, woo hoo!

peace,
sg
that thread is a tradgety and does nothing but destroy yields, my boy just lost 1/3 yield lost nug size AND had to cut the price due to mis-following that thread.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi all, not much time here but i wanted to mention a couple things. i wouldnt like this forum to dilute or detract from any of the existing growers forums. i mostly agree with microbeman's post - in many ways the organic forum is a good model for what could happen here in the botany/advanced science forum in the sense that the scientific side of organics and microbes is firmly entrenched over there and is now highly respected by all.

if we can do the same thing over here and build a resource about botany/plant behavior and how it can be applied to our grows and growing environments then that could be a great resource. sorry it's first thing in the morning here and im possibly not explaining it very well.
later - and thanks again to all

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I support VG as a mod he's far saner than I will ever be.

Thanks for putting this forum here, you OFC guys think this is the right place for my plant biology notes? If so, please could someone review them for accuracy as they were part of a learning process - not a finshed article as such. And there's gaps to fill of course.

Also, want a bunch of char science?

An article kind of like

Water retention - reference

Crop increases - reference

Controlling pH - reference

etc. I'll just do it post by post breaking down the properties of char and the science supporting these.

I think we should be firm about references - anecdotal evidence and opinions only to support and discuss the underlying science - or this forum becomes yet another huge volume of anecdotal inaccuracies, old wives tales and meanderings.

Thoughts?

Mr F, i think any contributions you can make on plant behavior, plant science and botany would be a great asset. any advanced plant subjects you feel are relevant to most growers would belong here, but if it is a subject that only relates to e.g. organic growing then imo it would be better off posted in the organic forum, char may fall into this category but you probably know that better than me. ;)

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
some more thoughts on how this might best work. remember im not in charge so these are just my suggestions

1. For those that are here mainly to learn then please read the whole thread before asking any questions - this will help avoid asking questions that have already been answered in the previous posts.

2. For those mainly here to contribute and discuss, please list all abbreviations clearly in the OP. when disagreements occur and persist, (and im sure they will ;) ) please agree to differ before discussion and debate becomes argument and insult.

3. on anecdotal evidence and home experiments/findings - please be realistic about their limitations, for example if you use 4 different fertilizers in your soil, you cant really draw conclusions about the performance of any one of them without a lot of testing and side by sides. each grow will be different environmentally so recognize that these will all be factors that confuse any findings.

VG

G

Guywithoutajeep

It would be great if threads were required to cite references.

TickleMyBalls

just don't molest my colas..
Veteran
that thread is a tradgety and does nothing but destroy yields, my boy just lost 1/3 yield lost nug size AND had to cut the price due to mis-following that thread.

haha, thats exactly what my point in that thread was. I got sick of fighting with that dude. I got so much negative rep from warning people that, that technique is dangerous in the wrong hands and will destroy yields. I'm sorry your friend had a bad run, but glad to hear that news. I'm proud I stood my ground against all of the shit talking I experienced there.

I'm excited for this forum! great idea OP and Gypsy and any mods involved in the decision.