What's new

Following Your Dreams? Literally

mowood3479

Veteran
Good luck.. stand up helps me keep a gun out of my mouth.. Whether it goes good or bad keep with it... From what I read stand up takes a lot of time to get really good at.
I listen to all those guys podcasts :rogan, Diaz, burr,
It's a real gift to speak truth that makes people laugh

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
So, I did go up to the Pub where the open mic is held at last Thursday..I just didn't have the balls that night and didn't go up though, I just sat and watched and practiced my material and watched the crowd. No stand up comedy, but poetry, guitar and some singing...there was like 8 people in the crowd. After it was done I was audi 5000, and hit the road for a few days.

It was nice man...it actually gave me time to work on my little set..delivery, emphasis on certain words..I've got it way more memorized now, and it's flexible, I can change it as I'm going through it to fit the situation or the room. I even came up with a few new jokes, or premises mostly...one about socks and how they are just crappy armor for your feet, lol...

Anyways, thanks again for all the positive vibes and encouragement. Now that my material is seared into my brain from practicing it so much, and it's fliexible, so I can change it a little here and there on the fly, I AM GOING UP TOMORROW NIGHT.

I'll let you know how it goes.

The Doors used to play like there was a sold out crowd even if it was just their gf's in the bar... food for thought... have fun up there!

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Boron!................I recommend the Howard stern interview of Jerry Seinfeld within the last month. He talks about comparing An Indian Taxi drivers and the letters that make up that name and he went thru every element on the periodic table till he found the funniest.........His name was 8 Consonants and what looked like the symbol for Boron!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyways, thanks again for all the positive vibes and encouragement. Now that my material is seared into my brain from practicing it so much, and it's fliexible, so I can change it a little here and there on the fly, I AM GOING UP TOMORROW NIGHT.

I'll let you know how it goes.

best of luck HOPS5, you've got a huge set of nuts for even considering going up on stage. I'm sure that every comic has started right where you're standing today :)

it probably wouldn't do any good if I/we promised not to laugh at you, would it???

Maybe you can make fun of yourself for being a wuss last time? (I dont actually mean it) not sure if this would be funny though...standup is not my expertise.

I do know that I like when a comic is either confident, so not confident that its funny (whatever that means) or generally the weirdos, but not the try hards, this is probably of no use to you. I can tell you're a character even thru an icmag avatar so I imagine that could translate over to a stage. I would say record it but privacy, I know.

Green Squall

Actually scouting on the venue sounds like a good idea. Gives you a sense how the place operates.

I think you'll be fine. There's so many singers and musicians out there nowadays trying to break out, a comedian will be a refreshing change for the crowd.

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Thanks guys :)

I added a new part..lol..one part about my Navajo friend in Arizona..should be funny as hell :)

I'm not thinking about it much..just going to go do it...it's like jumping off a cliff into water, don't think much about it, just do it!

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Okay, so lastnight I did it..not that 'did it', lol...the open mic went great and I got some laughs; mostly from my Navajo impression, the first joke about making a mineral pond smell like incense, and why severe pain for med mj is bs..went good and the dude who runs it asked me to come back and told me about some more open mics to check out...oh boy, this could be fun man! :)

So, I'm gonna work on some new jokes for next week.

mowood3479

Veteran
Okay, so lastnight I did it..not that 'did it', lol...the open mic went great and I got some laughs; mostly from my Navajo impression, the first joke about making a mineral pond smell like incense, and why severe pain for med mj is bs..went good and the dude who runs it asked me to come back and told me about some more open mics to check out...oh boy, this could be fun man! :)

So, I'm gonna work on some new jokes for next week.

Fuckin awesome man! Congrats!

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Hey guys...I'm going to do another 5 min. tonight...the open mic is 45 min. away, but it will be fun once again.

I have a new joke, but I'm not sure if it's hack or not...I coulda swore I've heard it somewhere, but not too sure.

Anyways, just saying that it's pretty badass when you follow your dreams...ever since I started doing this, I've got a few booty calls..lol

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Dude, I knew this girl for like 8 months...soon as I do a 5 min set, boom, here's all the booty you need! I was like , hahaha, this is awesome!

haha that's how women are! they will never be honest but they love men on stage/screen or uniform. my friend a cop tells me stories all the time about his pussy capades

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Freaking killed it with another 5 minutes tonight...got some more applause actually..did a joke about Donald Trump that floored the house dude...Trump just looks like an oversized oompa loompa man..orange hari and shit..."oompa loompa doopity doo, I'm gonna build a wall so screw you...oompa looompaa"

haha..that shit was crazy man~!

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
now that your confident we prob wont be able to shut you up....lol...rock it man good for you...you should practice some lines on us for feedback...women like confident guys so the booty is no surprise...yeehaw

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Putting together another set for Thursday night..not as many pot jokes this time around, just one.

I really need some new stuff though, but it just usually happens out of nowhere when I come up with something. I find it really hard to just sit down and write something, it just spontaneously happens when I come up with something that is even remotely funny. I wish it happened more often though.

I watched some videos about joke writing specifically, one of them was Jerry Seinfeld and it was very good, but I still don't get it...like joke writing is some sort of voodoo magic or something , lol.

Im a writer. Ive been doing it 14 years. The only writing I take seriously and publish is the stuff "that just comes to me" in a flash, in a vision, that I cant stop to put down, like it posesses me almost, it's a very weird thing I cant explain. Anytime I try to step outside of this it comes off as contrived. Sometimes I do decide to sit down and write and something comes of it too that way. In the morning after coffee or at night after edibles seem to be my best times. It's best to start with something concrete.

Good luck dude its not just you every writer deals with this. Some look at it like a job and sit down 9-5 and just write. You gotta find what works for you. Peace.

Ps I also think youre onto something with the trump thing. Infinite inspiration anywhere you look nowadays. If you can fuse emotion and humor you are taking it to the next level. So much fucked up and stupid shit you can make fun of that people feel but cant articulate themselves.