What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flyover concern?

amanda88

Ok, I'm just going on my own experience with nearby training (Black Hawk) missions from a few years ago from nearby AFB doing so-called "maneuvers. No they don't have carte blanche, but I've seen "missions" going up mountainous canyons that were not on military aviation route maps as far as routine....just sayin'.....from my own visualization/experience, and those of others.

And funny, later several crops were 'tacitly' spotted by Forest Service Rangers (law enforcement division). Hmmmm.... coincidence?

When nervous or curious residents voiced concern (and funny how this was near the height of 'harvest time')....it was proclaimed "rescue training missions".

Granted, it wasn't the UK/GB or Kentucky....it was NM where there are a few clandestined missions given secrets @ Sandia Labs and Los Alamos. However....I cannot venture to say KNG doesn't use copters for missions common folk are not aware of in areas not routine on aviation maps? Anyway....sure....whatever...

True: the military have their own maps, there own areas, often with poorly funded police forces you may find military choppers on loan to the police, and often too the pilots are in training, and often are just jealous of the wages, the cops are making over the military guys, so aviation co operation is vital if he's gonna get this mission thru. in other words, the pilot is ordered here, but it don't mean he's gonna enjoy it.
So if you have the military flying around your zone ...get the relevant map for the situation, but above all, watch out the the local '500 (Huey 500)thats contracted out to the police.. these are the hungry hawks, of your space, they are just ordinary chopper pilots, with considerable army/police skill, can fly his bird, with his eyes closed, often does, or just eyeballing your plants, as he flies by...he loves to fly ...lives to fly and has every intention of doing the very same next year ...even if you are locked up, he needs growers ..to be arrested, so he gets paid the big money to be hired again next season ..sounds sh!t ...but it true

As for military craft flying around the country side..?
All military craft have to share the uncontrolled air space with civil craft call-signs and awareness are compulsory ..tho in many remoter areas, military craft do take unnecessary risks, thus are seen as Jerks by the civil community of which many once belonged.
Also many use the military as a stepping stone to get cheap flying lessons in..these are the dumbest jerks ever, most are failures in civil life, and can be seduced with a beer or toke for more inside info, of your area, be warned tho MATZ (military air traffic zones) can be very large ...good luck

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Point made...you are an expert on every topic you quip about, racking up posts knowing about the laws/happenings in the USA. (cough)

I can safely say I do not know about Great Britain or Europe's environmental accidents and politics and flying regulations, just a name a few examples, thus I do not blatantly comment about them.

Meanwhile, stuff happens in states that are anti-cannabis.

No more comments from me regarding MountainBudz dilemma. I wish his situation to be safe and cautious.

St. Phatty

The vhf radio can pick these position fixes up, more so in the line of sight or if within 5-10 miles of you location...hence the alarm?

There is an apparently true story in Silicon Valley about a bar on the Peninsula.

My brother was on a sports team with the guy who started in, in the 1980's. Call that guy the "bar-starter", keep info about nationality & what sport it was ... to myself.

The Bar-Starter was previously a Cocaine Dealer.

He had a radio.

He listened to the radio.

When he heard his name on the radio, he closed up shop.

And bought the bar.

The rest is history.

If you have gone drinking on the peninsula (somewhere between San Jose and SF) you may well have been there.

Probably sold the bar by now.

Yes, radios are a very good tool.

Latest posts

Latest posts