What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flyover concern?

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Had something really odd happen last week. I'm in the state of Ky which many of you are familiar with the strict cannabis laws here in this state. We have flyovers often, very often actually almost daily through July and then sort of slowing down in August and September.

Usually what happens here is they will fly and once a patch or even a single plant is spotted they will repel down and chop the plant or send in a ground unit (Ky state police) in the very next day to take care of the plot. Usually they chop and go unless it is within so many yards of your home or on your immediate property.

I had a friend just a few weeks ago had a black hawk hoovering over his home and he had 4 clones around his house. The chopper left and the next day they sent in LEO and served him papers to appear in court. If however he had had more than 4 plants he would have been arrested and apprehended on the spot and taken into custody for a felony cultivation charge.

Well, to make a long story short, I have a close trusted friend that watches over a plot for me as they live sort of close to it. There is somewhere around 34 plants in the plot along the tree line and they are about 4 to 5 foot tall as of now. He said the other day he heard a chopper flying low and looked outside and sure enough LEO was right on top of his house flying the tree line.

He said the black hawk went straight to the plot almost ground level and turned the nose up (they do this to blow the trees and brush away to get a better view) and didn't really come to a stop but hoovered in front of the plot for just a moment and then took off in a different location leaving the area. The next day they were back again flying low but not AS low as the first day and didnt get as close to the plot this time.

What i'm getting at is why didn't they already go and eradicate it or send someone in by now? It has been like 8 days since it has happened and he assures me that he hasn't seen any traffic on the road as he is the only house on the road and it dead ends at a pond.

Is it possible they really didn't see it?

Could they have slipped in and set up trail cams?

OR have they just not got around to getting it yet?

I either want to stay away, not worry and continue tending to the girls OR go back and dig them up as bad as i'd hate to and relocate them somewhere.

It's really eating at me as I just don't know what to think about it.

I have never visited the plot visible. Always dressed top to bottom, face covered with ski mask and coveralls on.

What do you think?

Help a fellar out here lol :comfort:

MountainBudz

I forgot to mention I just went back yesterday and the plants are still there, area looks undisturbed as well.

amanda88

Carry a little vhf(airband) radio, and tune in locally can be a big help, also get a local aviation map, it should show local danger and restriction areas, a big help to guys like yourself

ps. give the site a week rest, perhaps rig your own tree cam?

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
that many plants, they will set up a camera or park someone on it wearing camo waiting for you to come back. sounds shaky to me...i'd be damned careful if i went back to harvest, IF i went...

dddaver

Veteran
I have to agree with armed. I would think twice about ever going back myself.

But on the other hand, that's 34 plants, and pretty big plants too. So you're talking about some serious weight and some serious bucks. But be aware LEO knows that too and they looking at a huge felony bust. They went back twice most likely looking for more plots there. Common tactic for growers and they know that.

So if you do go back, I say wait till harvest time. Go in from the back or something too. And do a LOT of recon. Maybe
one day recon, one day harvest if all looks cool. Stash your dark clothes and harvesting shit until the actual harvest day so you don't need to try and explain that. Don't tell ANYONE ( including your buddy unfortunately) what days you decide to go either. Use your head, never can be too careful.

But again. This is pretty chancy. You might decide it just ain't worth it. Maybe talk to the buddy about harvesting later himself and be prepared to give him a bigger cut in the take?

X

Xray Kimono

If the area isnt disturbed, and your buddy is saying the blackhawks nosed up to blow back, then maybe yoyr buddy is trying to keep you away while he harvests your plants...

You can duct tape your shoes.. No need for new ones... Also I hope you are well schooled in police questioning tricks and tactics... Best to deny knowledge and end the conversation.. Never admit anything.. Keep us posted.

MountainBudz

Well I know for a -FACT- that the person that is watching the plot would NOT take it. But I am concerned with the surveillance aspect of it all. It could easily be accessed and secured with video surveillance without anyone seeing anything.

I am thinking of setting up a trail cam of my own a distance away from it or maybe two one facing it and one on the road to watch the incoming traffic to search out LEO's. Just for maybe a couple of weeks just to see if I can catch anything. I definitely wont be visiting it anytime soon. Even though I have been back since this has happened, only one time and fully covered head to toe.

I worry more about them capturing my vehicle on camera then me. Because I am unidentifiable as far as my body goes. Who knows, they might have not even spotted it. I have seen them fly over large plots before and not even notice a thing and had successful harvests. Who knows.

Don't go anywhere near there, ya dumb. Fuck all that noise, write em off and stay out of jail. Take Amanda's advice and get a band scanner and an aviation map if you're going to grow outdoors. It'll help you stay free man. But this run, it's gone. I am so sorry.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Carry a little vhf(airband) radio, and tune in locally can be a big help, also get a local aviation map, it should show local danger and restriction areas, a big help to guys like yourself

Those make static noise....and can be heard.

I'd want to be silent approaching the site.

And yes, if they haven't swooped down to gather the crop...my gut feeling....they want to find out WHO (catching in the act) it is when returning to water.....seen it happen numerous times in guerilla grows (knew several growers meeting their fate that way...sigh), and read numerous news reports over the years.

They'd prefer finding 'culprit's vs. crop.

amanda88

Allow me to explain, ..to many pilots after time, pilots 'drive' their ships as you and me may drive our cars, they must(by law) supply position fixes to the local air traffic controllers, in large controlled areas or big aircraft this is done with the transponder, that shows the pilots position on the air traffic radar screen, with smaller craft ..or craft flying about in uncontrolled air space(vfr) you got to announce your position every 10-15 minutes or so, depending on where you are, more so with choppers and under the 1500 foot limit.

The vhf radio can pick these position fixes up, more so in the line of sight or if within 5-10 miles of you location...hence the alarm?

An aviation map will show you the areas where that chopper is not permitted to enter, (without due cause)even with the cops aboard, danger areas(firing ranges army and navy) restricted areas, bird parks, nature areas, protected areas etc etc..are all limiting factors for that pilot and the cops with him, I'm sure you wouldn't be the first grower to grow in an aviation danger/restricted area, free of any aviation hassle ..good luck

dddaver

Veteran
Dave...Dave...never get in the middle of .... but I just can't help myself.

Spreading that aviation knowledge, coolio. Knowledge is always good thing.

But Amanda is right. Just because they are military does NOT allow them carte blanche just to violate restricted areas. Being military maybe is the reason most especially why they aren't supposed to violate the laws.

Flyovers are one thing, low altitude hovering is another.

But whatever, earphones/earplugs work.

An idea OP, tell your buddy next time he sees low hovering over his property tell him to try and get the tail number and call the FAA and report it. They are usually listed in the government section in the phone book. But I would also tell him not to divulge his name. He might have to divulge the location though, but that still is forcing their hand.

If people start getting proactive we might start turning things with these stupid pigs around. They rely on complacency and people not knowing their rights.