What's new

Flush or Don't Flush... I DARE you to post your ppm's!!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Problem with water curing is that it removes some of the water soluble turpenes.... personally I need some of those for medicating my head... Definitely can tell when they're not there.

At the very least, this will give a new grower a way to test how well they've done a flush. I know for a fact that an uneducated grower can't tell poor meds from antelope hair... having an indicator (other than taste buds) can be invaluable.

Stay Safe! :D

Ganja baba

Veteran
Yes, that's correct.

The purpose is to get some baseline readings to see if it's a viable way to test for leftover nutrients.

The issue is that it isn't healthy to ingest or smoke nutrients (organic derived or not) and there happen to be a shit-ton of growers that believe their end-product is good.... when it isn't.

Most people who buy cannabis can't tell bud with leftover nutes in it from hot-apple pie. Personally I happen to be super sensitive and can taste and feel the difference. Usually you'd need a lab to do it.

Got a ppm/ec meter? Maybe it's useful. Get enough data and maybe.... just maybe there'll be one or two growers that work on making their meds cleaner. This might be the tool for it.

As for my attitude.... bah! It sucks balls. I've been on Colorado mountain meds for a year and a half since I had to tear down my grow. I'm so sick of over nuted, non-flushed meds with mystery residue... I could scream.

Thanks! :D

p.s. The Dare? That's for page 3 after people have started posting enough results. I'm not stupid... I'm just an asshole when my meds are crap. Sorry. :D

nutrient salts can be broken down with acids may be soaking the bud in ph down would leach out more salts .

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's true HS. Im not a fan of water curing. It still leaves the product potent but changes the terpenes. Taste,smell,High all need to be there or I feel something is missing..

gardenbug

Tagging this so I don't forget.
Not sure whether this is even a valid test or not, but I'll try it. Will test a sample grown with synthetics in coco right before, during, and after a few weeks of only water. If this is a valid way to measure how well a flush works, it should start higher and be lower by the end.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Your valiant efforts are appreciated.

I'm sure, with enough data posted, that we will be able to devise a viable test for at least horrible meds. :D

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
re: water curing
could someone post a link to a thread @ water curing for me please

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
I'm very interested in this topic so I've been reading about tobacco. It seems that quantities of some of the most carcinogenic compounds in flue cured tobacco are not present in fresh-green tobacco, but rather are produced by microbial activity once the tobacco is cut. Certain curing methods-practices can reduce the amount of these carcinogens that are produced. In tobacco the cure gets a lot more attention than growing methods. This said, I also read that some tobacco farmers use chemicals that reduce the plants ability to uptake nitrogen near harvest time, so nitrogen tissue levels might be a factor in quality.

There is a lot written about tobacco smoke chemistry both by scientist in the industry and public health researchers. When it comes to the concept of flushing and curing we are way behind the tobacco industry in terms of knowledge. I would love to see some science brought into the flushing debate.

Questions
- how are nutrients processed and stored once they are absorbed by the plants?
- what does drying and curing do to the plant tissue chemistry?
- how are the microbial processes and chemical changes associated with curing affected by environmental conditions?
- how does tissue chemistry affect smoke chemistry? (they are not one in the same).

Pine

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
re: water curing
could someone post a link to a thread @ water curing for me please

Water curing is simply that. You take all you buds and let them soak in RO water after 24hrs change the water after another 24 hrs change it again. Do this for a week and then Quick dry the buds(very important to prevent mold). You will have buds that taste like shit with no smell but keep there potency as THC is not water soluble.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
More data please.

I definitely need to get an ec/tds pen again... *sheesh* Even though I don't know how the local stuff is grown... I can tell you the ppm will be in the hundreds.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Water curing is simply that. You take all you buds and let them soak in RO water after 24hrs change the water after another 24 hrs change it again. Do this for a week and then Quick dry the buds(very important to prevent mold). You will have buds that taste like shit with no smell but keep there potency as THC is not water soluble.

sounds terrible, why would anyone choose that method of drying? if not for some experiment (like this one)

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Grab a gallon of reverse osmosis water and test the ppm's of it. (Please make it R/O so all test results are comparable)
Grab a gram of your freshly dried, yet uncured, bud and drop it in a half cup of R/O water and let it soak for 2 hours. Test the ppm's of the water.
Grab a gram of your cured, yet unflushed, bud and repeat the experiment.

Post the results here.

You DO flush? Repeat the same experiment and post the results here.

Please be as detailed as possible about the nutrients you use... the time in the grow you used them, your pH management regimen and the nutrient strengths you used. Basic lights and ventilation information is also helpful.

Thanks sooooo much! :tiphat:

:thank you::blowbubbles:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chopping in two weeks. Will buy a meter and play along! (if for no other reason than to prove I wasn't being facetious)

dank.Frank

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my unflushed bud samples are almost dry n gettn a cure on them, will do the water test as soon as i can, cutting the flushed buds either on wed. or next monday (dang turkey day getting in the way...)

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Chopping in two weeks. Will buy a meter and play along! (if for no other reason than to prove I wasn't being facetious)

dank.Frank

Judging from the looks of your plants... probably gonna be a low score. :D Appreciate the assistance here. :thank you:

Avinash.miles said:
my unflushed bud samples are almost dry n gettn a cure on them, will do the water test as soon as i can, cutting the flushed buds either on wed. or next monday (dang turkey day getting in the way...)

Awesome! Enjoy the eats as well! :D

Stay Safe! :wave:

Mr Eckted

Question:

How do we know that the ppms we're reading in the water is from nutes, and not other naturally occurring substances in the plant?

And couldn't we use regular water if we tested the ppm beforehand and factored it in?

Anyways, I'll try the experiment.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Question:

How do we know that the ppms we're reading in the water is from nutes, and not other naturally occurring substances in the plant?

And couldn't we use regular water if we tested the ppm beforehand and factored it in?

Anyways, I'll try the experiment.

That's a really good question. :D Without a real lab, I believe we're going to get plant matter plus a good quantity of soluble nutrients left in the plant.

R/O will ensure that the water is a clean solvent. Different elements in the different taps waters might break things down differently... R/O levels the playing field. :D

Thanks soooo much for participating. :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sorry ive not posted any results, left the uncured sample at another house, havent been back since i sampled it there... hopefully is waiting for me there
still very interested tho

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
I never flush. I pump the nutes in at 1600 ppms right up to the day I chop the plants so that I can ring out every single last gram of the good stuff that the plants have to offer and I have the smoothest buds on the planet.

Because I water cure my grow and have for years. Nothing beats water curing for doubling your potency, taking the harshness out of your bud and making it the smoothest smoke on the planet.

That's my difference.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
water curing

water curing

I never flush. I pump the nutes in at 1600 ppms right up to the day I chop the plants so that I can ring out every single last gram of the good stuff that the plants have to offer and I have the smoothest buds on the planet.

Because I water cure my grow and have for years. Nothing beats water curing for doubling your potency, taking the harshness out of your bud and making it the smoothest smoke on the planet.

That's my difference.

wow
interesting
does water curing leave you with tasteless flavored smoke? does water curing leave buds "bag pretty" or "jar pretty" or what? ive never tried it and just heard from it on this thread.

never considered something like that as an option. is it? no plant flush just water cure.
seems very unconvetional, but im interested

Homebrewer

Veteran
wow
interesting
does water curing leave you with tasteless flavored smoke? does water curing leave buds "bag pretty" or "jar pretty" or what? ive never tried it and just heard from it on this thread.

never considered something like that as an option. is it? no plant flush just water cure.
seems very unconvetional, but im interested
Personally, I'd never take advice from someone who feeds at 1600ppm.

Latest posts

Latest posts