What's new

Flush and starve plants during flowering??

S

sourpuss

You can taste when florakleen has been used....

Like we said, the secret is in perfect calculation of what the plant needs all along without an iota more.

Thx, didnt know that, only used it once. Gonna have to reread this thread...

S

sourpuss

I think the best proof is pics... can I see your ash in a joint and in a bowl. Pls for anyone else trying to perfect this. Throw up some pics ill do the same.

So much back an forth. Pics will tell the tale....

Coconutz

Veteran
Dont forget not to flush one... Plain water for a few days without runoff.
If they were grown well it will all taste bomb, but if they werent it will all taste like shit

vapor

Veteran

Attachments

• ash6.jpg
    ash6.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 15
  • ash7.jpg
    ash7.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 18
  • ash8.jpg
    ash8.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 11
  • ash9.jpg
    ash9.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 13
  • ash4.jpg
    ash4.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 16
  • asg5.jpg
    asg5.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 21

ThaiBliss

Veteran
here is a joint colombian black. Flowered for 23 weeks or more. Here are the plants the bud came from. Watch them go from green to my favorite shade of yellow.....https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=272279

First of all... I'm jealous of the Colombian Black.

I read through about half of this thread, and then could not stand it anymore. People are hardheaded in their views, just like me.
:laughing:

But... I still wanted to add my two cents:

I knew a guy who grows outside and stops all nitrogen fertilizer on July 1. I gave him a cutting of a strain I was proud of, but I gave it to him in the middle of June. Just like the rest of his big plants, he cut off the nitrogen. I saw the plant in mid August and I begged him to give it a touch of nitrogen. It's leaves were yellow and falling off and had barely started to bud. I was proud of that strain and I wanted him to have some to try.

After harvest, he showed me the buds. They were "gold" (yellow) colored like Colombian Gold. Not only were they more than twice as potent as the buds I grew, the high was better. It was cleaner and more powerfully cerebral. That bud was world class old school.

Frankly, I don't think couch-lock smokers can tell the difference in the character of many of the old school Sativa strains. I actually believe that CBD or something else in many strains clouds some of the receptors in the brain somehow, and it takes time to clear this out before one can appreciate the differences in the high of other strains. This isn't a disparagement of many of the strains or preferences of smokers these days. It is a matter of different tastes that people have learned. Also, I believe that typical Indica strains don't react the same to these techniques as typical Sativa strains.

I like cerebral, energetic, euphoric strains. Ever since the experience with my friend, I have cut back nitrogen at flowering, and flushed all nutrients the last couple of weeks.

June:
picture.php

September:
picture.php

Harvest:
picture.php

Same with indoor bud. SAGE:
picture.php

I think it all comes down to personal preference. One can't use "science" to back up claims. You won't find any wine grape growers babying their vines to perfect nutritional health and optimum growth. The wine would lack character, complexity, and subtleties in taste that make it worth drinking. I think it is the same with the high that people experience when smoking.

ThaiBliss

S

sourpuss

^^awesome insight...

And nice ash on that columbian black. What was your method preharvest? My pics coming...

Homebrewer

Veteran
I'm not sure where the 'flushing causes white ash' thing came from but the cigar world would beg to differ....

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/Learning-Your-ABCs-Cigars-101-Part-II_7803

After lighting your cigar, you can make additional visual evaluations. First, look at the ash. According to most cigar experts, a white ash is better than a gray one. This is not merely an aesthetic issue, either. "The soil produces white ash-the better soil gives whiter ash and more taste," says Fuente. He says that certain manipulations of soil can be made through fertilization, but if too much magnesium (a key ingredient in producing white ash) is added to the mix, the ash will flake, and nobody wants a messy cigar, even if the ash is white.

Of course, ash is not something you taste or smell, but a gray ash indicates that the soil was lacking certain key nutrients, leaving the cigar with insubstantial body, or perhaps little complexity-resulting in a lesser smoke.
http://www.cigars4dummies.com/cigar-smoking/the-ash-knows-.html
Soil contains chemical compounds and mineral deposits. These are carried into the tobacco plant by moisture. And every region has its own chemical and mineral 'signature'. This means plants from different regions will contain different amounts of different chemicals and minerals - even if they're the same plant variety.

Cigars made from central Cuban (Remedios) tobacco produce near white ash. Cigars made from Vuelta Abajo tobacco, on the other hand, produce gray ash streaked with white veins. That's because the Vuelta Abajo soil is full of various minerals in roughly equal amounts, whereas Remedios soil is predominated by potassium. (And these two regions are close neighbours; imagine the differences between cigars originating from different continents!)

The lesson here is that gray ash with white streaks and pure white ash are indicators of quality proving that the cigar originated somewhere like Cuba or the Dominican Republic). Black ash, on the other hand, is a bad sign. Tobacco that produce black ash are poor in minerals and produce a very unpleasant taste and smell.

NOTE: This isn't mere quackery! The soil quality-cigar quality connection has been scientifically proved. In fact, in 2001 a scientist from a Canadian consumer organization proposed that the chemical makeup of cigars be tested to distinguish genuine Cubans from fakes, and that the fakes should be removed from the shelves immediately.
http://www.smokemag.com/0604/feature.htm

2) A WHITE ASH IS A SURE SIGN OF A QUALITY CIGAR
This notion has become a selling point for many cigars since the status-conscious boom years of the 1990s, despite the fact that Cuban cigars, still the benchmark of excellence, are not known for this particular attribute.

So what does a clean powder-white ash contribute to a cigar’s quality? “Other than aesthetics, absolutely nothing,” is the blunt answer from Bahia Cigar’s Tony Borhani. “It means the soil has lots of phosphorus and calcium. The soil that produces Sumatra tobacco will always give a white ash. Cuban soil is low in calcium and that’s how they maintain it, so Cuban cigars’ ashes are hardly ever white.”

Quesada adds magnesium to the list of minerals that could influence an ash’s color, and believes that a range of gray ashes indicates healthier tobacco. “The traditional criteria in the industry are that extremes are never the rule,” he states. “Too white or too black is not as desirable as a range of grays.” Magnesium, while it may have an effect on how sweet a tobacco tastes, can also cause the ash to become flaky if there is too much of it in the soil.
http://www.cigaradvisor.com/articles/cigars-101/smoking/who-cares-about-your-ash

Let me explain: Ash color only has to do with the levels of magnesium contained in the tobacco leaves. The lighter the cigar ash, the more magnesium there is and the opposite is true of darker cigar ash. However, the level difference is so minimal in the cigar, it is nowhere near noticeable on your palate. Instead of looking at color, look at the overall ash quality. This tells the story of your whole cigar as you puff through it. Say your cigar ash is flaky. This usually means that you are smoking a short filler and it can become a nuisance since the ash will most likely break off constantly. If this is the case, don’t smoke and drive without a Road Warrior Ash Can. Also, if the cigar splits in the middle, this usually means the middle is not keeping pace with the perimeter of the cigar. When the wrapper is burning faster than the filler and binder, this is a caustic burn issue and can alter the flavor of the smoke, so you will not taste the blend the manufacturer intended. To fix this, just stop puffing for a few minutes so the inside can catch up.

vapor

Veteran
Its not flushing per say it is the total amount of nutrients for the plants life, Flushing is more of a salt fert thing. Your guys are feeding right to the end and i am not i am revving{timing my nutrients maximize senescence} down earlier then you in terms of total nutrients the plant uses over it whole life, i still want the plant to build bud/finish properly. I use organic amendments and i like to smoke good bud. So after many years of trying and adjust the nutrients to were i know how the plants will finish the way i like. There is a few different mixes i use depending on the plants i am growing. One thing stays the same max yellow, makes for the most enjoyable planties. I have used to much phos and calcium and had horrible black ash so there is something to finding the right amount for the plant type size/light strength....From years of smoking experience this is what i like and what i find most folks who have been doing this for some time have come to find as well.. cudos thaibliss

S

sourpuss

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Florakleen 4 or 5 days...
Well considering, I consider myself a newb still.... getting there.

vapor

Veteran
now do that not in a zigzag or thick paper...You have to use a thin paper to test the ash.

S

sourpuss

now do that not in a zigzag or thick paper...You have to use a thin paper to test the ash.

Whats the diff? I hate slow burn thin paps, ill get a pack just for this... gotta wait tho.

I can say mine tastes great down to the roach. Same as when lit.

Not qith 2 week water. Only first couple hits taste good.

vapor

Veteran
the difference is commercial guys around here use a thick paper cause it hides a bad burn....A thinner paper not slow burning, lets you taste the weed...When i taste a thick paper all i can taste is paper not the weed....

ThaiBliss

Veteran
... One thing stays the same max yellow, makes for the most enjoyable planties...
:tiphat:

I wish I could get the buds to go yellow. I have been trying less nitrogen for the entire lifespan of the plant, and slowly tapering for a longer period of time. So far, no luck. I know that this is strain dependent. Some, like the SAGE I posted above, go purple, very dark purple (black), brown, or red. I seemed to have had the best experiences in the high with yellow (gold) or red..., and that one Colombian Black I had some 40 years ago. Smoked a joint between three people. Whoops! Sweet Jesus! Way too much.
:biggrin:

This strain, SAGE x (Purple Haze x Thai), went purple after a two month cure. I wish I had taken pictures of the cured bud:

picture.php

picture.php

I consider "green bud" a slur that means commercial quality. I may be the only one who thinks this. I'm growing for myself and trying for private reserve quality.

On the other hand, I have smoked green looking buds that were surprisingly good tasting.

I think being a world class grower takes a lifetime, and probably a lifetime growing the same strain. That is why we got amazing quality batches of various varieties back in the heyday, 60s; 70s; early 80s. In my opinion, things went south in a hurry starting in the mid 80s, for the cerebral/trippy/energetic/euphoric strains that I prefer.

To be clear, I believe the average quality has gone up, but at the expense of the occasional extremely potent high grade quality.

ThaiBliss

S

sourpuss

the difference is commercial guys around here use a thick paper cause it hides a bad burn....A thinner paper not slow burning, lets you taste the weed...When i taste a thick paper all i can taste is paper not the weed....

free burning lets you taste the weed imo. All opinion. Im not interested in thin papers. Ever dutch roll? Cigarettesr in reg paper. Never see em in thin.

Anyway think what you want. Ill be back with some silver rizlas cause you said they r not slow burn and r thin and will allow me to taste my weed not the paper.

Was using those couple days ago with some bc bud my buddy brought. Was really bad burning, black ash, to dark grey. Maybe your right and the free burnhides something. Will report my findings.

If you're concerned with quality, doesn't it make more sense to harvest at the peak of health and maturity? Harvesting when things start to go down hill sounds as if one is harvesting death instead of harvesting life.

But isn't it about ripened fruit? I hear what you are saying, but you discount the whole ripening process.

Homebrewer

Veteran
But isn't it about ripened fruit? I hear what you are saying, but you discount the whole ripening process.

By 'ripening process', are you talking about the cure or artificially inducing a 'ripe look' before harvest. In the case of the latter, these plants don't need help ripening as they'll finish all on their own. That's one thing I've noticed about cannabis growers, they seem to forget that this plant has been doing its thing for thousands of years.

Water, light, air, minerals, and then GTFO of its way.

S

sourpuss

Like I said. Show pics. Quit the blah, no ones gonna read or learn for pages and pages of back n forth

Tbh I just smoke a nice j, and reading the posts from my last post, make no sense to me.... real confused as to what anyones point is...

Oh well.... good vibes:) trail n error

Last edited: