What's new

Flush and starve plants during flowering??

Ras Mason

Veteran
come on...
Plants of exceptionnal quality NEED to be rid of chlorophyll and salt residues which are legion in this day and age.
The guy laughing cause you let the plant's metabolism take care of the work is an idiot.
A fully dark green plant at harvest WILL taste like nutrient signature and burn black. (no zig zags or tobacco for the test please).
I am not going to continue this as a debate, but if you really look around here and find the true masters, they will probably confirm what i am trying to convey to you. (ps, most of them have next to no post count but an old joining date...lol)
You guys are flipping out saying that you need to give added nutrients until the last day becuase you are afraid of yield loss....this is actually funny. Just let the plant naturally rid itself of the extras and watch the swelling real-time.
peace

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
They eat half the amount of water and nutes or just less water?

how much were you feeding max in flowering?

It makes sense to lower the solution as they drink less but as long as they are eating I keep giving them around 50-60% of what I gave them at max during flower.

i rarely go over 1.4ec/700-800ppm max during flower. if ya don't load up um with nutes during flower then you don't need to flush as much

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
gnat larvae will eat roots far quicker than they can grow. especially where they will start eating holes at the very base of the stalk/top of the tap root. with any pest, prevention is always better than the cure.

powderful

i rarely go over 1.4ec/700-800ppm max during flower. if ya don't load up um with nutes during flower then you don't need to flush as much

The largest plant is a beast so I felt comfortable letting her near the 1000ppm mark but the others maxed at about 750ppm.

I have spent some time studying the plant and its structure lately and it is my understanding that the plant stores nutrients in different forms than initially absorbed, so it wouldn't store Mg in its raw form but it would be stored in a more bio-available plant protein.

Any salt buildup would have to be in the xylem as that is what transports h2o and the nutes in their raw form to the mesophyll. Buds are sugar sinks so they wouldn't normally store any excess sugar or nutes to my understanding.

I'm gonna keep on researching plant biology for a better understanding of what actually happens when a plant is "flushed" and to see if there is any scientific hold to it.

I just want to understand

Homebrewer

Veteran
The largest plant is a beast so I felt comfortable letting her near the 1000ppm mark but the others maxed at about 750ppm.

I have spent some time studying the plant and its structure lately and it is my understanding that the plant stores nutrients in different forms than initially absorbed, so it wouldn't store Mg in its raw form but it would be stored in a more bio-available plant protein.

Any salt buildup would have to be in the xylem as that is what transports h2o and the nutes in their raw form to the mesophyll. Buds are sugar sinks so they wouldn't normally store any excess sugar or nutes to my understanding.

I'm gonna keep on researching plant biology for a better understanding of what actually happens when a plant is "flushed" and to see if there is any scientific hold to it.

I just want to understand

Good on you as canna forums are not the best place for REAL growing information.

vapor

Veteran
come on...
Plants of exceptionnal quality NEED to be rid of chlorophyll and salt residues which are legion in this day and age.
The guy laughing cause you let the plant's metabolism take care of the work is an idiot.
A fully dark green plant at harvest WILL taste like nutrient signature and burn black. (no zig zags or tobacco for the test please).
I am not going to continue this as a debate, but if you really look around here and find the true masters, they will probably confirm what i am trying to convey to you. (ps, most of them have next to no post count but an old joining date...lol)
You guys are flipping out saying that you need to give added nutrients until the last day becuase you are afraid of yield loss....this is actually funny. Just let the plant naturally rid itself of the extras and watch the swelling real-time.
peace

:dance013:

powderful

come on...

peace

The cannabis plant being an annual plant does not naturally cannibalize itself so I can not accept this as an explanation to why you should flush.

Is there anybody who actually studied botany/biology who can give me the low down on nutrient absorption and storage in annual dicots?

As far as I can understand the buds are sugar sinks so they wouldn't normally store extra nutrients and leaves are plucked so where are these extra "nutes" coming from?

Maybe the harsh taste you get from some bud is just starch which hasn't degraded properly?

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
come on...
peace
He's telling the truth try it one time with one plant in your garden think you'll be surprised at how smooth your smoke is and burns to white ash. I've been handed joints from ICers that will remain nameless that tasted horrible black ash a few pops here and there ...I think we all know what causes that. I give 0ppm water the last 2-4 weeks depending on what the plant is telling me and I'm organic you salt based guys well you need to flush your meds smells is better,taste is better,smells better burning IMO.

powderful

He's telling the truth try it one time with one plant in your garden think you'll be surprised at how smooth your smoke is and burns to white ash. I've been handed joints from ICers that will remain nameless that tasted horrible black ash a few pops here and there ...I think we all know what causes that. I give 0ppm water the last 2-4 weeks depending on what the plant is telling me and I'm organic you salt based guys well you need to flush your meds smells is better,taste is better,smells better burning IMO.

I appreciate the feedback but again it seems like no one has a biological explanation for this phenomena, just growers lore.

I did get careless and break off a bud on a white widow and after a week of curing I got no black ash and harsh taste, how is this possible seeing as I am using dwc (salts) ?

I was prepared to do a full flush but after trying that bud with no flush at all I have begun questioning the practice.

Ras Mason

Veteran
The cannabis plant being an annual plant does not naturally cannibalize itself so I can not accept this as an explanation to why you should flush.

Is there anybody who actually studied botany/biology who can give me the low down on nutrient absorption and storage in annual dicots?

As far as I can understand the buds are sugar sinks so they wouldn't normally store extra nutrients and leaves are plucked so where are these extra "nutes" coming from?

Maybe the harsh taste you get from some bud is just starch which hasn't degraded properly?

Listen my friend.
¨the plant in nature¨ doesn t care how she feels when you go organnoleptic analysis on her ass.
This being said, i am not going to add too mutch but the fact that a misguided scientific mind is extremely dangerous. Look for the truth within yourself and your communion with the plant, then, if you still need a sense of outward confirmation, go scientific on that ass to feel better and complete your overstanding.
peace.

(oh ya, can you please send a sample of your harvest to your nearest analytical lab for heavy metal and micro-biological assay please?
thks buddy
rm

Ras Mason

Veteran
Just for peace of mind. here is apic of some Nebula at 4 per light, 250 to 289 gr per plant. Calculate for yourself. These where fed 750 800 ppm and only water for the last 2 weeks. 16 different phenos per rez drinking differently and still...

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 13

vapor

Veteran
Not to worry ras You have grown for a long time, and the folks who use/understand the rev down/max senescence and how to dial/time planties food for best action{clean ash means max taste/high}. I have smoked herb from "master gardeners" With horrid black ashes and they say oo it is organic. lol.I grow organic to and i aim for a clean white ash it is about timing the amount of nutrient the plant need to complete it's cycle and not one bit more. We are growing for enjoyment of resin and terps{not yields although they are fine once you dial your plants action} and if the ash is black and all you can taste is excess nutrients well you dont get the full experience of what the plant can offer IMO be it salts or organics same rules apply white ash.
As we get more into a legal world of cannabis the average grower/person will learn what actual specialty medicine/cannabis can be.

Ras Mason

Veteran
Straight up from the mouth of the vaping dragon.
i wish c-ray would also have the patience to sometimes drop a few bitchslaps...lol. But being a c-ray demands alot of focus. Got stung by one once.
But seriously, i hope evrybody would at least try side by side and listen and trust themselves.
One.

powderful

It is called research and understanding something instead of just making the "jump" as you said in that neg you sent me ;)

If someone truly understood the process that takes place I would love them to chime in but somebody telling me it is natural to stop feeding my plants without verifiable proof that it will do any good doesn't make much sense.

Unless you have any evidence you can point me too you are just speaking from your own personal experience.

No need to get all hostile just because I don't blindly trust a guy on the internet :biggrin:

Ras Mason

Veteran
Exactly.
Youo are very right.
And this is not ¨hostile¨.
In time we will speak again.
Good luck in your research.
RM (aka a bunch of other dislikeable and likeable characters)
peace and genes.

Coconutz

Veteran
lol Ive had the 2 week flush pop and burn weed before.
Now I give 3 days of water and it burns fine and tastes great...
Go figure...

powderful

lol Ive had the 2 week flush pop and burn weed before.
Now I give 3 days of water and it burns fine and tastes great...
Go figure...

Have you ever tried any non-flushed buds before?

I had a small cola snap, dried it and cured for a little over a week and so far my friends say it just needs a little more cure but hasn't got much harshness. I tried a small nug on the pipe and the ash came out pretty much white but lacked a little flavor (short cure).

I will keep a bud of the unflushed to compare to the rest of the plants who will get 3-5 days flush max.