What's new

fluctuating ph with timed drippers in coco

Harry Lime

Veteran
this next grow i will only be able to check them twice a week so i need to sort the res, tend to what needs doing then go for another three days. so i wont be there to sort out these swings..

from whats said here it seems we need to reset a coupla times over a day or two then the res is good for a week

can ya change the days ya visit?

dalilguy

then you need to keep trying different nutes and see what balances right and stays stable for you in your water.

without having something to keep it on point while you are gone then the only other thing i can suggest is having 2 tanks.. make em both. the first 2 visits hand water. and those days you just readjust the tank, on your 3rd visit it should be locked in place.. you use up one tank and you already have one that should be locked in place also ready to go. This way you can use the next cpl visit's to adjust the tank that you just refilled..

as for a self doser, the easiest and prolly cheapest route is to use a Milwaukee SMS-122. a 5 gal bucket(or whatever size you decide on) and a small reptile like pump(unless you want to spend the cash on more expensive proper dosing pumps).

you mix a diluted solution of ph in the bucket with the pump..

when the sms-122 picks up the drift in the ph, it will turn the pump on in the bucket and that will pump the ph solution in till it reaches the set point you set on the controller.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
then you need to keep trying different nutes and see what balances right and stays stable for you in your water.

without having something to keep it on point while you are gone then the only other thing i can suggest is having 2 tanks.. make em both. the first 2 visits hand water. and those days you just readjust the tank, on your 3rd visit it should be locked in place.. you use up one tank and you already have one that should be locked in place also ready to go. This way you can use the next cpl visit's to adjust the tank that you just refilled..

as for a self doser, the easiest and prolly cheapest route is to use a Milwaukee SMS-122. a 5 gal bucket(or whatever size you decide on) and a small reptile like pump(unless you want to spend the cash on more expensive proper dosing pumps).

you mix a diluted solution of ph in the bucket with the pump..

when the sms-122 picks up the drift in the ph, it will turn the pump on in the bucket and that will pump the ph solution in till it reaches the set point you set on the controller.

tbh i appreciate the heads up but i really dont want to have to use more and more electrical im trying to keep it as simple as possible. i did look at ready made units but i didnt find many and tbh ive spent so much im not eager to keep spending more.
i think i just need to keep experimenting, ive had alot of help and info here which is great so thanks guys.

please carry on adding anything that may help me or others who have a similar issue.:thank you:

vein5

I have the same problem and im using airstones. So I was under the impression you want to oxegenate the water. Im using canna nutes also, not a cheap brand. What king of pumps do you guys use to stir the water for you

dalilguy

Sift, the extra electricity is almost none as the pump u use to put the ph solution is very small. But I've been on the same boat, an i would suggest 2 tanks if you have the space. Infer a couple visits it will be easy to always have one on point an the next one on stand by to give u a few days to adjust the one that just ran out.

I ran the canna for years. Do not run a air stone it. I think this has even been mentioned by them. The size pump to circulate would depend on the size of your rez. Small cheap reptile pumps do the trick on smaller tanks.

dalilguy

What medium are u in? I run my circulation pump in a way that I have movement over the top of my Rez. Only time I had bubbles in my water was in dwc buckets. Never in a Rez only circulation an have had no issue.

T

TribalSeeds

Is your res temperature also fluctuating? Check to see if your pen has Automatic Temperature Compensation(ATC). You may get different reading at different temps.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
if you're draining to waste, just cover the rez for evaporation and use a recirculating pump.

I used to run drain to waste coco slabs and leave the rez for 2 weeks without issues.

maybe avoid air stones though, there are ambient yeasts and bacteria in the air (picture making sour dough)

over time some will make it through your air pump in to the water, where you've got all kinds of delicious nutrients for that shit to eat, especially if you happen to be running any carbs.

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
plant magic will sort your problems

ive used canna and h&g and they both drive ph up in our water after 24 hours i use drippers dtw in coco too

plant magic gives me a .2 increase in 24hr

i use pump for circulation in res

when using canna h&g etc i used to ph down to 5.6 and it would end up around 6 6.1 in 24hr and stay there which i find is perfect

h&g roots plays around with my ph i dont use any stims anymore also it creates a browm scum growth on side of tub

setting ph and letting it drift to where you want it is ok it wont harm them is only for one day

feeding 5.6 would probably come out around 5.9 in the runoff if your feeding 6.1 the other days so is still in range

drippers for flower only?

peace

Han Grolo

Lots of nice tips here, great thread everyone.

i use organic cider vinegar to ph down to 5.6 - 5.9

This is a problem. I was using vinegar for my all natural ph method in my recirc coco system.

Works great for about 24 hours. then it all goes out the window.

Picked up the biggest bottle of Technifloria PH Down which is nitric acid based as suggested by another member. Haven't looked back since. PH barely moved after that.

Good luck!

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
thanks alot for all the info people.

im quite reluctant to change nutrients tbh as im happy with my results with them and they suit my conditions at the moment, yes RIL im using drippers in flower only.

the ph i ike to stick at is about 5.6 to about 5.8 ideally. 5.6 to 6, i can cope with.