What's new

fluctuating ph with timed drippers in coco

T

TribalSeeds

What nutes youre using is important. Just saying a mix of brands does no good. Actually, mixing brands is likely going to make it more unstable.
RO is much more stable than tap. Iv noticed the PH of my RO drops after its been sitting for awhile. I have a huge tank and have tested it.
Once I mix my nutes together(CNS17+Silica) it is at 5.8.it will stay under 6.0 for about a week, by then its gone. I dont even own a bottle of ph up or down.

yts farmer

Veteran
man thats a pretty big jump in just 24 hours.

have you thought about using a brand of feed made for uk tap water ie ferro or plant magic?

i use a mix of tap water and water collected from my dehumidifier and my feed stays stable maybe drifting a point or 2 over a 3 or 4 day period.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
would it make much difference wether im using a airstone as supposed to agitating the water with a submersed pump?

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
i dont get how a mixing pump will keep the nutrient mixture more stable- when it theoretically adds more oxygen to the water. but then an airstone makes it less stable even thought that theoretically is ment to add less o2 to the water?

im not discounting anyones post, im just not figuring out whats best to go with and what is actually causing the jump.

cheeched

yeah thats really lucky for you. they wouldnt be happy if it was jumping from 5.7 to 6.7 in 24 hours though lol
:comfort:

Yep, feel lucky indeedy..:dance013: And the girls are happy!..
Tap ~0.2EC using CNS17 line +Protekt silica, ANs pH down, easy peasy.
Topfeed DTW, rezzy(s) fluctuate~ 5.8-6.1 most of the time..
I'm with TS, what are you feeding and at what levels..Else it's a guessing game, mate..

dalilguy

i dont get how a mixing pump will keep the nutrient mixture more stable- when it theoretically adds more oxygen to the water. but then an airstone makes it less stable even thought that theoretically is ment to add less o2 to the water?

im not discounting anyones post, im just not figuring out whats best to go with and what is actually causing the jump.

It's been stated many times by other members that a airstone will usually cause the ph to fluctuate. Ofcourse it depends on ur nutes also. Few companies don't recommend runnin a airstone in ur Rez. Only way to be certain is to give it a try ur self. :tiphat:

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
It's been stated many times by other members that a airstone will usually cause the ph to fluctuate. Ofcourse it depends on ur nutes also. Few companies don't recommend runnin a airstone in ur Rez. Only way to be certain is to give it a try ur self. :tiphat:

ok but will a submersed pump be ok or will it fluctuate the ph too?

dalilguy

It will work just fine and not mess with the ph so long as your tank is already stable. I run 2 pumps in my Rez it mixes it in a tornado pattern 100gal. :tiphat:

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
:comfort:

Yep, feel lucky indeedy..:dance013: And the girls are happy!..
Tap ~0.2EC using CNS17 line +Protekt silica, ANs pH down, easy peasy.
Topfeed DTW, rezzy(s) fluctuate~ 5.8-6.1 most of the time..
I'm with TS, what are you feeding and at what levels..Else it's a guessing game, mate..

do you want a medal and a pat on the head??? lol only joking.

erm basic routine is this.

first week or two of flowering..

sensi a and b (advance nutes)
big bud, (AN)
roots excelurator (house and garden)
cal mag
sometimes a few others depending on what ive bought.

starting ph is about 6.7
i use organic cider vinegar to ph down to 5.6 - 5.9
starting ppm of the tap water is 200ppm

my hand watered plants do absolutely fantastic so i dont have any other issues at all.

although obviously when i need to switch over to drippers the nutes will sit there and the ph reverts back to 6.7ish

during flowering i drop the cal mag and roots excel, and later on about week five i add shooting powder till i flush.

cheeched

i use organic cider vinegar to ph down to 5.6 - 5.9
IMO that is what is contributing to your pH rise..Try a real pH down e.g Phosphoric acid..
Much much more stable..I use citric acid occasionally, not b/c it's organic and shit, but so it doesn't skew my ratio levels and add to my EC, when I don't want my ratios skewed, you follow!..It doesn't make for a good buffering agent however.
You can stop patting me on my head and don't need or want any medals , but thanks for the offer..LOL..

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
IMO that is what is contributing to your pH rise..Try a real pH down e.g Phosphoric acid..
Much much more stable..I use citric acid occasionally, not b/c it's organic and shit, but so it doesn't skew my ratio levels and add to my EC, when I don't want my ratios skewed, you follow!..It doesn't make for a good buffering agent however.
You can stop patting me on my head and don't need or want any medals , but thanks for the offer..LOL..

was only joking with you man.. yes i did think that might be the problem. the reason i stopped using the ph down i have is that when i put it in, the mixture went cloudy and it just put me off using it. il try it with the phosphoric acid see if it is more stable.. thanks for your input..

T

TribalSeeds

DUDE! I didnt see that when I first posted. Sorry for wasting your time

dalilguy

Ur tank jumps from 5.7 to 6.7 in 24 hours.. Ok, now when you adjust it back down to 5.7 the next day does it go back up in another 24 hours? An does it go to 6.7 again or lower this time?

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Ur tank jumps from 5.7 to 6.7 in 24 hours.. Ok, now when you adjust it back down to 5.7 the next day does it go back up in another 24 hours? An does it go to 6.7 again or lower this time?

i have not tried and tbh it wouldnt matter because this next grow i will only be able to check them twice a week so i need to sort the res, tend to what needs doing then go for another three days. so i wont be there to sort out these swings..

dalilguy

Well my tap comes out at 7.8-8.2. It will do the big swing like you mentioned but only once. After I put it back on point it will only drift up another .1 or so an remain stable. After that if I put it on 5.8 it will remain at 5.8.

If you have money to spend you can always set up one of the DIY ph monitor/doser. You get your controller of choice and hook it up to a small pump in a bucket with diluted ph Down.