What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flowering.... trimming fan leaves off....leaving fan leaves on

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I do this exactly to keep my plants from getting too tall, but then I noticed them shooting out so many budsites, which really transcends into bloom in the form of a more uniform plant and a shit load of dominant colas...

This is exactly what I was getting at. Beware of doing this to a short bushy plant as it will have to many colas and will cause a lot of larf from shading.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for the results vapedg13, & the experiment

what were your expectatoins compared to the results?

Jbonez

Veteran
So all plants averaged the same just under 3 ozers... 6 striped plants just over a LB

no noticeable difference in bud size

This is conclusive with my results as well, but only when I stripped the leaves after the stretch.

Since defoliating starting in veg, Im seeing MUCH more uniform plants with far more bud than when compared to defoliating alone after the stretch..

DrFever

Veteran
Yo J wondering how long you actually vegged for you mentioned your findings are more uniformed ???? plant , with defoilating from what i am reading veg times were longer and as vap mentioned no noticable difference in bud size but again 6 plants 3 0z under per plant i find not that great so bottom line is it worth it ?????
here 5 week veg plant first time grower LED a member on here i bet he pulls 8 - 12 0z per plant undefoilated and look at the unformed bud sites

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=250095&page=14

Was just thinking for all that time wasted in defoilating was it really worth it ????? fck if i pulled under 3 0z per plant i would burn down my grow room and me in it :))

Jbonez

Veteran
I have two months to veg before I throw em in bloom, so I guess Im biased as I have more than adequate time for them to fill in after stripping the leaves..

In the past, topping and bending resulted in less grow tips than with defoliating, but they were more prominent. With defoliating, im seeing a shit load of budsites, but they dont elongate like they do with topping, rather just a shit load of tops.. Which for me is creating more uniform growth, not just a bunch of colas if that makes sense.

I have two ChemD's that both were vegged longer and defoliated more than the first, which is coming down in a few days so Ill have a dry weight in the next 1-2 weeks, but I know chemD, ive grown her in the past, and she barely does what she is doing now with 1000w, and Im using a 600w.. The results will be conclusive in my eyes..

DrFever

Veteran
J i wish you had a chem un touched for 2 months veg in there as well 8 weeks ??? while LST;ng them and topping / cropping what ever i would place bets on the untouched plant for more yield
You know you can have tons of bud sites on a plant but if the internodes below are not close and there your only going to have small buds
J seems like you like doing different things ?? Depending on your room size i would really like you to go over my thread and bump up your pot size to 15 - 30 gallon 3 plants grow or so cropping and training and transplanting up while in veg to final pot size in flower i bet this alone will bump up your game to 8 - 10 oz per plant with 4 - 5 week veg times

Greenheart

Veteran
I'm with vagpuncher and the gnome on this one. Little by little over time and not only will the plant yield well the trimming will be a breeze. Defoliation a Hi-yield technique had me testing and I became a convert quite awhile back.

Jbonez

Veteran
J i wish you had a chem un touched for 2 months veg in there as well 8 weeks ??? while LST;ng them and topping / cropping what ever i would place bets on the untouched plant for more yield
You know you can have tons of bud sites on a plant but if the internodes below are not close and there your only going to have small buds
J seems like you like doing different things ?? Depending on your room size i would really like you to go over my thread and bump up your pot size to 15 - 30 gallon 3 plants grow or so cropping and training and transplanting up while in veg to final pot size in flower i bet this alone will bump up your game to 8 - 10 oz per plant with 4 - 5 week veg times

See thats what Im thinking with the 2 chemD's I put in.. But the pot size is still 3 gallon grow bags, If say I max out the surface area of my octagon by vegging under more powerful lights and not having a singe bit of white showing from the orca film and say 5 or 7gallon bags, I know I could pull 3lbs with a single six, its possible for sure.. But Id have to do it monocropping and thats hard with 30+ strains.. and counting..lol

Thats pushing the design of my setup tho, I didnt intend on using any bigger containers..

Ya know, Im really starting to think long and hard about a co2 controlled veg area to really make them beast out with less time.. Im a fan of air exchange, but in veg itd be easy to control temps and augment co2 to get bigger plants faster, could prob even shave off a few weeks of veg time..

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Ya know, Im really starting to think long and hard about a co2 controlled veg area to really make them beast out with less time.. Im a fan of air exchange, but in veg itd be easy to control temps and augment co2 to get bigger plants faster, could prob even shave off a few weeks of veg time..

I know it's easy to just tell you to do it man.....

but do that shit

vapedg13

Veteran
Yo J wondering how long you actually vegged for you mentioned your findings are more uniformed ???? plant , with defoilating from what i am reading veg times were longer and as vap mentioned no noticable difference in bud size but again 6 plants 3 0z under per plant i find not that great so bottom line is it worth it ?????
here 5 week veg plant first time grower LED a member on here i bet he pulls 8 - 12 0z per plant undefoilated and look at the unformed bud sites

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=250095&page=14

Was just thinking for all that time wasted in defoilating was it really worth it ????? fck if i pulled under 3 0z per plant i would burn down my grow room and me in it :))

5-6 week of veg in 1 .75 gallon potter...

I bet if you grow pre98 bubba for 5 -6 weeks in sunshine not hydro...NO co2.... youll pull the same weight

that dude is growing purple kush in what 7 gallon tubs?? Usin co2 .....:)

looks like that shit been in veg for almost 2 months not 5 weeks......journal started 11/24/12

Purple kush is a little darwf ass plant that produces alot of multipul bud sites naturally

heresa photo of my purple kush in a 2 1/2 gallon potter after a 1 hour defoilage.... 5 weeks into flower...

this bitch was a bitch to trim... so many leaves.....I stopped runnin her.cause she took forever to trim

around 4oz was on her

002-24.jpg

LEDNewbie

Veteran
5-6 week of veg in 1 .75 gallon potter...

I bet if you grow pre98 bubba for 5 -6 weeks in sunshine not hydro...NO co2.... youll pull the same weight

that dude is growing purple kush in what 7 gallon tubs?? Usin co2 .....:)

looks like that shit been in veg for almost 2 months not 5 weeks......journal started 11/24/12

Purple kush is a little darwf ass plant that produces alot of multipul bud sites naturally

heresa photo of my purple kush in a 2 1/2 gallon potter after a 1 hour defoilage.... 5 weeks into flower...

this bitch was a bitch to trim... so many leaves.....I stopped runnin her.cause she took forever to trim

around 4oz was on her

View Image

since my grow was referenced I thought I would drop in and say hello:tiphat:

Those are actually 30 gallon totes:bigeye: They were vegged for about 5.5 weeks. I was only planning on vegging for 4 weeks but the last 1.5 weeks I had some seriously stunted growth?? There is only 3 things that can explain the stunted growth. #1 I used a Gnatrol drench when I transplanted into those 30 gallon totes, #2 I didn't check PH of the Gnatrol and realized after the fact that it was down to 5.8, #3 right after transplant I pulled ALLOT of leafs off, may as well call it a defoliation cause I thought I had PM so I panicked and started plucking leafs. Not PM :whee: LOL... So there was a period of at least 10 days where my plants barely grew at all. I was actually worried, they looked healthy and were growing a ton of new foliage but just not getting any bigger. Then all of a sudden around Jan 2nd I could tell that they were growing again!!:woohoo:

I didn't get my Co2 setup until Jan 3rd, almost 5 weeks into veg. Co2 is not getting used to its potential as my room is not sealed and I exaust air to cool the room down. So I only have my Co2 set to 850ppm to try and see how long this 50 lbs bottle will last.

Hoping for a half decent crop for my first grow but you just never know until it's all finished up!!!

And yes, this Purple Kush is one leafy SON OF A BITCH!!!

Jbonez

Veteran

Quick question, do you judge final weight and all the inherent factors measure of success based on weight per plant?

See, to me plant count is not exactly relative to yields, sure in some sense depending on the design and way you utilize the rooms features, but when it all comes down, the only thing to gauge your success from is in a mathematical perspective.

How much power did it take to create the net product weight.

Your advising me to to up container size and plant size, which to an extent I suppose I could, but crowding would be an issue and Id just move up to a 1k vert for that, or stacked 6's.. I planned this carefully down to the inch..

I dont really know entirely what my setup is capable of but the math is indicating 2lbs per 600w (and im not flowering any of my yielders).. So what do I really need to change? Make sense.. Ive hit numbers I have a hard time explaining online but its of no concern, Im not the only one seeing those numbers.:biggrin:

Desert Hydro

Veteran
my defoliated AK clones look amazing. perky leaves that reach for the light even during lights out. usually the leaves on most plants droop during night but not these. they are under a 300w bare bulb hps until my 2 300w LED's come in tomorrow. i hope to get 2.5 off each clone with only a couple weeks veg time, lots of fim'ing, supercropping and defoliating. ive defoliated 3 or 4 different times in veg so the t5's can penetrate, and now with their beautiful open short structure the LED's are gonna do work

these are FMS AK at about 25 days. i think defoliation is important for low penetration grows as long as its not too extreme. in coco and hydro they recover so quickly you would barely notice anyways

Attachments

• P1011463.jpg
    P1011463.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 12

DrFever

Veteran
Hey desert i wish you the best for final yields here are some of my girls untouhed 20- 22 day from flipping to 12 /12 yea see a difference ???

Attachments

• DSCF0020.jpg
    DSCF0020.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF0018.jpg
    DSCF0018.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 12

-~Wind Walker~-

ya'll keep saying genetics plays a role in how well defoliation works. So can any of throw out some examples of specific genetics that are/aren't compatible with defoliation?

Yes. My question is, would this be a hindrance or beneficial to auto flowering strains?

-~WW~-

DrFever

Veteran
Yo J i am going to show you a picture where i trimmed fan leafs off very back of this picture is where they are you can see them already there fallen behind big time compared to others i so can;t wait to post what they look like when i chop and comparing those buds to others non defoiled. Here as well few pics of my girls re vegging which in a matter of time will blow up like you never seen :)
i think removing some fan leafs really is defeating what there designed to do tuck leafs rather then cut them off if needed spread plant out
and last resort take some leafs off no more then 10 percent or your just stressing plant out as well making plant work extra hard in not only producing buds but trying to repair it self as well

Attachments

• DSCF0024.jpg
    DSCF0024.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF0025.jpg
    DSCF0025.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0038.jpg
    DSCF0038.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0041.jpg
    DSCF0041.jpg