What's new

Florida Growers Thread; Reloaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catatafish

Veteran
I found a cola on the sour cookie plant i have in coco the size of my arm last night (finger tip to elbow), was kinda fallin down into the jungle and hadnt noticed it :)

That shit went from the sickliest lookin little buds to monsters in a weeks time. Probably will be the largest yielding plant in the garden.

Morcheeba*

Veteran
Cat,

I use the liquid ph down from GH and for ph up I add silica.

I never need to raise my ph so silica is used occasionally to strengthen the stems.

peace

Coba

Veteran
I know this is going to sound cliche but, I don't worry about pH too much anymore... since I've been using living soil for about two years or so.

when I first started I tested all the time but, it was always on point. then, once about a year ago, when I had all kinds of issues in my tent ... I broke out the ole meter then but, my soil was still on point and I figured out that I was over-dosing my plants with the alfalfa.

My tap comes out above 8 ... and when I run it through the filter it comes to about 7. sometimes I'll add molasses to make compost tea ... if my filter is old or I'm in-between filters the molasses seems to condition the water.

I don't have any newish frosty bud shots ...
picture.php

... but, here's a plant in recycled soil that's been fed with tea and it's in a beer cup ... :ying:

Catatafish

Veteran
Yea i never worried about it in soil either but i have grown tired of organics and the work involved plus other security risks that i have with it. Water only was fun but all the mixing became a chore. Plus i have nowhere to dump the soil at my location so i had to move a couple hundred gals to a friends which became risky too.

I love me some organic bud but i needed a switch up to keep things interesting for a bit. I will start some more one day.....if we can ever get legal and somehow i can get a dr's recommend and not worry about some of the risks.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
What do you guys use for ph down?

Looking for something a little more consistent than mixing up gh powder. No matter what i do i always seem to need different amount to knock down the same strength nutrients\ph. Once i mixed a batch that i needed 1ml\g per ph .1. Havent been able to duplicate since with the same amounts :)

when i need to pH down i use nutes. :/

if i'm just using plain water i use this "ph down" i bought. it's just phosphoric acid in a bottle.

if i need to ph back up...i use tap water. comes out at 7.5-8 here.

Coba

Veteran
Yea i never worried about it in soil either but i have grown tired of organics and the work involved plus other security risks that i have with it. Water only was fun but all the mixing became a chore. Plus i have nowhere to dump the soil at my location so i had to move a couple hundred gals to a friends which became risky too.

I love me some organic bud but i needed a switch up to keep things interesting for a bit. I will start some more one day.....if we can ever get legal and somehow i can get a dr's recommend and not worry about some of the risks.

sometimes.... it can be a PITA! I can feel ya on that sht... and smelly lol, damn.

MagniKhan

Veteran
Asslover, did you do your own minisplit install or hire someone? Trying to get a checklist together.

He installed it himself.
And he/we can help. I've done two full size split units now, so I've kind of have it down...both are working stellar!

:peek:

Catatafish

Veteran
Sweet, im looking at a Fujitsu halcyon, i have really good results with them at work so would like to stay with them.

I have a friends dad that is hvac cert'd or what ever and i can borrow the pump and guages. This friend is electrician so that is handled. Im fairly handycapable-ish and can due the physical work.

Looking to learn how to use the pump and where everything hooks up to when pumping... i dont really have a clue about this part. Do you have any good links or vids you know of? It will be a couple weeks yet before i install so i have time to learn a little more. I have been cruising youtube but my search terms must not be good as i keep hitting crappy vids or where they tell you they are doing it but dont show it/explain it.

Do i need nitrogen tanks or whatever when doing the vacuuming? I believe the fujitsu is precharged for 25', i was going to purchase a premade 25' lineset to make that part easy and my run is probably only 18-20' give or take so i should be ok with length.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sweet, im looking at a Fujitsu halcyon, i have really good results with them at work so would like to stay with them.

I have a friends dad that is hvac cert'd or what ever and i can borrow the pump and guages. This friend is electrician so that is handled. Im fairly handycapable-ish and can due the physical work.

Looking to learn how to use the pump and where everything hooks up to when pumping... i dont really have a clue about this part. Do you have any good links or vids you know of? It will be a couple weeks yet before i install so i have time to learn a little more. I have been cruising youtube but my search terms must not be good as i keep hitting crappy vids or where they tell you they are doing it but dont show it/explain it.

Do i need nitrogen tanks or whatever when doing the vacuuming? I believe the fujitsu is precharged for 25', i was going to purchase a premade 25' lineset to make that part easy and my run is probably only 18-20' give or take so i should be ok with length.

I've never done it so fair warning, my opinion doesn't mean shit in the grand scheme for sure, but I've looked at what professionals do, and I would reccomend the nitrogen pressure test. for anything other than a special purpose built unit with a precharged lineset. I just don't think holding a vacumn is a good enough check. I believe they pressure test to 150 with nitrogen to check for leaks as well as a vacumn to a certain pressure point.

Asslover

Veteran

The absolute by the book way is to use Nitrogen. However, you can get away with cracking open the gas valve for a few seconds and then use soapy water sprayed onto the flared connections. No bubbles usually means no leaks. This is a generalization. Myself and others can give you more precise instructions if you need.
Make sure your friends understands that you'll need gauges for r410.
McKush is right, you need to pressure test as well as vacuum...

Catatafish

Veteran
Ok thanks guys.

I can pretty sure i can get the nitrogen as well from my friends dad. Im pretty sure he is stacked with all the tools. The only thing i worry about he doesnt have is the 410 guages which i dont mind buying. He does all the hvac repairs etc for various complexes and such and been doing it for as long as i can remember.

If absolutely need to i could bring him over but would cause me a lot of other work im not really excited about having to do if ya know what i mean. Plus i like to learn and do so i can repeat later.

I did find the ever elusive install manually for the fuji i was looking at.....seems they dont make them public so people dont diy. I can link it in when ready.

ceosam

Buy a gallon of distilled & sulfuric acid at an auto store (its in a box like in the picture). Remove 1cup of water from the distilled and add a cup of sulfuric, that will be similar strength to pH down. Careful, it is an ACID so use caution when handling, also only add acid to water -- not the other way around. Very stable have been using it for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts