What's new

First organic grow, 400W tent

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
I'm not the expert here as I've only recently been turned on to a thick mulch layer. This said, I'm very happy with last falls leafs and MJ plant trimmings. They leafs do contain fungi and a host of critters including several varieties of soil mites, which feed on decaying plant material and each other and pot worms. Other stuff that people suggested to me are weeds from outside that have not gone to seed - in particular nettle, dandelion, yarrow, and chamomile. I believe it is good to have a diverse materials in the mulch. Apparently if you do this all correctly and recycle soil you can build a completely self sustaining system whereby you don't need to fertilize; beneficial bugs feed on mulch and each other and feed microbes which intern feed the plants and fungus works to break down stuff that bugs and bacteria aren't interested in yet.

Pine

It's pretty cool to read up on this stuff,....

I've got 1 critter in my room,... SpringTails. No mulch, but there they are..... I'm debating on letting them go, they do crawl on the stalks and get stuck in the resin making the lowest buds basically worthless.

Unless I'm wrong on what little critter I've got?

FYI, the ones that get stuck in the resin are grey/black but look the same physically as the white ones that are in the soil.

picture.php

Mine look exactly like the top illustration,... even the grey ones on the stems. I'd post pics, but I don't have a USB microscope :mad:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Bedtime temps were getting down to the low 60's, with daytime temps around mid-high 70's. I learned from Bobblehead & DHF that a lower temp difference between night/day promotes stretching & growth, .. SOOooo, I thought I'd give it a whril.

I set up a small space heater (no thermostat control - boo) to turn on every 20 minutes during lights-out. Last night was the first run.

I checked the max/min this morning. Low was 70, high was 79. Better than 62/79-80 which it used to be, but I'd like to whittle that difference down.

Props for the help from Bobblehead and DHF : https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=207143&page=16

Edit: The heater turns on for 20 minutes every hour - that makes a little more sense.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
I've got 1 critter in my room,... SpringTails. No mulch, but there they are..... I'm debating on letting them go, they do crawl on the stalks and get stuck in the resin making the lowest buds basically worthless.

Springtails are common, but I've never had them (that I know of). Apparently they are pretty easy to identify as they spring. They are supposedly a sign of good soil health. As for the lower buds...make them into bubble has or oil. The alternative would be trying to kill the springtails which could kill something else.

Pine

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Picked up two stout (though rooty as all getout) AK-47 cuts today.

I'm thinking of tossing the Headband in, in a week or so - she seems to have some fine-tunin' left to do before she's ready to flip.

At the same time, I may toss in one of the AK's - just for a single-cola, shits-and-giggles project. Either way, I'll be at capacity. Then waiting for this Mystery gal (which I'm pretty certain is a Blue Dragon) to finish up, make some space, lather, rinse, repeat.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
If your not at capacity, why not throw an AK in there.... Do it! If you like it, clone the F out of it.

Peace

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Interested in the temp difference thing... time to put the timer on my A/C instead of relying on me to remember to turn it off.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
It's pretty interesting. Bobblehead's thread is what got me interested. Those guys really have their environment dialed in, and are going for some serious GPWs.

My project is much much smaller and a bit less yield-focused, but whose grow ISN'T yield-focused!?

(And yeeeears ago, we had a grow in an attic, .. Got hot as heck, had to use an AC, .. Ended up leaving the AC on at all times, total stoner move, temps got super cold, and NL x Shiva finished up in about 40-45 days. The one in front of the AC finished first. :))

No bueno, earlio.

Give these guys some props here - very helpful stuff: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....207143&page=16

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Props on starting seeds, silver. I am currently working out some Silver Haze x AK- 47s. I also have two males, Island Sweet Skunk and Blue Hawaiian Sativa, that I hope to cross with everything...

Did you or a friend make those NL 5 seeds? That is an awesome strain. It would be a particularly good dad...just think green candy x nl 5. It is particular good because it passes on uniform traits.

Keep it growing
Phyte

Got the beans from a buddy of mine, made from Sensi NL#5 (I reckon it was Sensi - not toooooo sure though) mom & dad.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Day 22 for Mystery Lady (Blue Dragon?), day 8 for Green Candy & Purple Diesel

Day 22 for Mystery Lady (Blue Dragon?), day 8 for Green Candy & Purple Diesel

Bushin' seems to have subsided here, stretchin' startin' to slow down too, ..

Mystery lady - I'm a little suspicious that she's a Blue Dragon. I'd love to hear anyone's input..

picture.php

picture.php

Quite pleased on how the LST worked out on her. She was but a midget when she went in the oven, so she was fairly easy in complying with my demands..

Green Candy - HOLY seventies-bush, Batman. Very excited for her. She really seemed to be a slow grower at first, but once I FIM'd her, she just went crazy with the bushage. The little reading I've done on her says she's a 45 day plant, .. We shall see. That would mean she'd come down right around when the Blue Dragon does.

picture.php

In full bondage effect (don't mind the yellow here - tent was wide open with HPS wooshing out all over the place):

picture.php

picture.php

Purple Diesel - also quite a busher.

picture.php

If nothing else, let this be a lesson in what 2 extra weeks of veg time can do. These three pictured here are all the same age - the Blue Dragon just went into flower 2 weeks before the other two.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Green Candy is looking very exciting. It's bushing like nobody's business, and it's only 10 days into flower, and it seems to be producing prolifically. (She sells seashells by the etc).

Maybe there is some truth to this 45-day thing - its flowers seem to be noticeably "ahead" of the flowers on the Purple Diesel, which was flipped on the same day.

I picked up two midgee AK-47 clones last week. Going to do a little experiment, I think.

Will be tossing one of 'em in this weekend (helps keep my brain straight when everything goes in the oven on a Saturday), .. In a one gallon smartpot, a la SOG styl-ee.

Instead of feeding with EWC, guano, Neptune's Fish, kelp, etc, .. I think I'll just be mixing in some Rainbow Mix Bloom into the soil, and just hit 'em with straight water. (Picked up 10 lbs of Rainbow Mix for the veggie garden this year - what the heck, right?)

In the meantime, everything is hunky dory with everything else. I'm quite pleased with how the Blue Dragon is turning out. In the meantime, the Candy is almost unruly. You know, in an awesome way.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Neo 420

That's for the experimental DWC tomatoes and green pepper. :)

(That, and sometimes I'll throw a small layer of 'em in the bottom of a pot/party cup for drainage assistance)

Although I'm contemplating the move to a DWC setup at some point for the broads, .. Again, for shits and giggles.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Thanks Canni!

To which girl were you referring? The BD or the GC? :)

I'm pleasantly surprised with how the BD seems to be turning out, .. The GC has loads o' promise, but I do feel like I need to corral it a bit, to keep it from becoming unruly and messy.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Experiment-o, day 1

Experiment-o, day 1

Rooted clone of AK-47

Not much veg time - 3 or 4 days out of the aerocloner, into some soil, then boom

Sitting in a mix of FFOF/ProMix HP/EWC, about 2:2:1

1 gal smart pot with about 1-2" hydroton at the bottom, because why not

3 heaping TBSP of Rainbow Mix Bloom

Straight agua for the duration

Everyone synchronize your watches

Here we go

picture.php

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
The BD ;)

Nice little AK cutting! I've done a few runs of rooted clone to flower,.... always wind up about a foot tall and .5 oz dry for an indica, about .3 sativa.

Good luck with her! :tiphat:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
The BD ;)

Nice little AK cutting! I've done a few runs of rooted clone to flower,.... always wind up about a foot tall and .5 oz dry for an indica, about .3 sativa.

Good luck with her! :tiphat:

Thanks Canni

I'll have to post a profile-ish picture of the Green Candy, .. She's almost, .. Well.. Gangly.. I've been pruning her here and there, trying to make a general shape & decision on her..

I'm really happy with the way the Blue Dragon is turning out, .. She's done stretching, and the past few days, the flowers are just getting taller, .. Don't seem to be filling in yet girth-wise, but they're doing quite well. The calyxes on the bottom of the buds are definitely beginning to swell.

I can't say it enough, .. I'm so happy to be in a place where I'm only growing for ME! No pressure on yields, no pressure on production, no pressure on money, .. It's just straight hobby and WIN. :D

Latest posts

Latest posts