What's new

First organic grow, 400W tent

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Still real mangy lookin'. She might be a goner

I've had neglected plants that you could barely tell were alive come back. She will likely recover.

Is the mystery girl looking better? The picture you posted looks real good, but its not a whole plant shot.

Pine

huntingbb

Mile High Guy - I was just thinking about this, .. I think maybe you were referring to non-heat-related light problems..? Maybe I misunderstood initially.

I've always thought that as long as heat wasn't an issue, then there's not really such a thing as "too close?" (Well, I suppose growing up into and within is too close) Maybe I'm wrong?

(After having that thought, I went downstairs and put it on the floor (not on the table), now a good couple feet from the T12) :)

picture.php

Still real mangy lookin'. She might be a goner -- which would suck, but really, out of 9 different strains/9 different cuts, to lose one, .. I'll accept it. Considering the rough travel that I know they had, and I'm a doofus to boot, probly killin' shit.. Alllll good.

:dance013:

Naw, i think she's totally savable, just fall back to ph'd water for a few days..

MileHighGuy

Veteran
She's gonna pull through no problem.

And as far as the whole light thing, I've found that when I use In-direct lighting... or... move the light kinda far away, I have Zero yellowing of any leaves because the are focused on root growth, there isn't enough light for them to try and Veg which depletes the little stored nutrients they have.

Anyways, Don't worry bout it, you're doing great, this one will be fine very soon, and probably a hearty, strong grower too.

Peace
:wave:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Pinecone - Here's a look-see at the mystery gal, out of the hut. She seems to be greenin' up, but has some greenin' yet to do. But I seem to be headed in the right direction - thanks in part to your nudge. :tiphat:

picture.php

picture.php

(You'll notice on the first shot, a couple of the leaves are fading to a lighter green towards the tips/sides of the blades, .. Any idears?)

I had a chat with the guy at the store last week, and he had the same lousy experience with the MaxiCrop Liquid Fish. He said once they sell out (two big jugs left - thank heck I only bought a quart), he's not going to stock it anymore.

Instead, he's all about the Neptune's Harvest hydrolyzed fish gunk. I broke down and got me a bottle this morning. Lessee.

Mile High - That's good to know. That's what seems to have done the trick when the fucker wouldn't pop roots through the cube - that's when I threw her in the corner of the room, out of any direct light, kept her minimally moist, and viola, in a few days, rootage.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Day 17 for Mystery chick, Day 4 for Purple Diesel & Green Candy

Day 17 for Mystery chick, Day 4 for Purple Diesel & Green Candy

Seems to be greenin' up nicely..

picture.php

picture.php

Purple Diesel:

picture.php

Wow - a little unruly lookin', she is.

Green Candy:

picture.php

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Seems to be greenin' up nicely.

Yeah. They look better. You could even put some more EWC on there.

The other thing you might consider is mulching. Up until recently I've mulched trimmings from harvested MJ plants (leaf, stems, and bubble bag leavings), but it was always hard to get a thick enough of a mulch layer. Recently I went ahead and brought in some partially decomposed leafs in from outside and mulched my plants with about 1" plus of this material. The addition of a thick mulch later has made a big difference in terms root growth and soil life. I now have beneficial bugs (soil mites) when I didn't have any before, fungus colonizing old woody stems, pot worms, and lots of visible roots at the top of the soil (under the mulch layer).

Pine

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Pinecone

I'm so happy you turned me on to the EWC top dress deal, .. If you look at this morning's photos, you'll see a bit more fresh EWC on top of all the ladies. :)

So as far as the mulch goes, essentially any compost-type material is good? I actually have a wheelbarrow full of crap when I raked the lawn this year - mostly old grass and dried up leaves..

Or maybe this is a better question: What's an IDEAL source of PRE-FAB mulch for this purpose? (My happy-little-citizen brain keeps thinking about cypress mulch, or any other crap you'd use in the beds this time of year..) ?

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
What's an IDEAL source of PRE-FAB mulch for this purpose? (My happy-little-citizen brain keeps thinking about cypress mulch, or any other crap you'd use in the beds this time of year..) ?

I'm not the expert here as I've only recently been turned on to a thick mulch layer. This said, I'm very happy with last falls leafs and MJ plant trimmings. They leafs do contain fungi and a host of critters including several varieties of soil mites, which feed on decaying plant material and each other and pot worms. Other stuff that people suggested to me are weeds from outside that have not gone to seed - in particular nettle, dandelion, yarrow, and chamomile. I believe it is good to have a diverse materials in the mulch. Apparently if you do this all correctly and recycle soil you can build a completely self sustaining system whereby you don't need to fertilize; beneficial bugs feed on mulch and each other and feed microbes which intern feed the plants and fungus works to break down stuff that bugs and bacteria aren't interested in yet.

Pine

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Pinecone have you read Teaming with Microbes?
Seems right down your alley. Good stuff man, rep

I have not read it yet. I will though. I've been reading a lot in the organic soil forum here (which has some top notch posters). I also have a soil recycling thread (in sig) that some of these very knowledgeable posters have been helping me with. This is where I got turned on to the thick mulch layer.

Pine

Edit: For any one who is interested IC member Microbeman's has a website with a bunch of cool information how organics works - http://www.microbeorganics.com/

Epiphyte

Props on starting seeds, silver. I am currently working out some Silver Haze x AK- 47s. I also have two males, Island Sweet Skunk and Blue Hawaiian Sativa, that I hope to cross with everything...

Did you or a friend make those NL 5 seeds? That is an awesome strain. It would be a particularly good dad...just think green candy x nl 5. It is particular good because it passes on uniform traits.

Keep it growing
Phyte

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Great success! ..a la Borat

picture.php

Here, a little less..

picture.php

All good. The NL #5 seeds were a little sketchy lookin' to begin with, .. As long as this lone popper is a broad, I'm happy. ;)

Oh. No more Happy Frog for these guys, .. I'm thinking a mix, maybe 50/50 FFOF and ProMix HP? To start 'em in.. Anyone?

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Done. A few in cubes, the rest in soilishness - including the lone NL. I'll give the cubed ones to a buddy, to plop in his hydro setup. He can do the donkeywork on those few - vegging & sexing..

Latest posts

Latest posts