What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First grow, Deep Chunk open pollination

greencalyx

Premium user
Here's an update.

Things seem to be going pretty good. I took the other plant that was a year old out. It's growth structure was too crazy lookin, and I am planning on going 12/12 in a couple weeks. And I didn't want to have to worry about getting that one straightened out before I did so.

The DC#7 Looks really good (along the left wall of tent) #9 (right side)have fallen over, but still truckin. They were made from really small cuttings that didn't go very deep into the soil. Lesson learned for next time.

I did add two Triangle kush to the tent. They are in the bottom right. And there's a new trop cherry clone next to the more established one in the bottom left. Unfortunately my cat savagely attacked my mother plants of those two varieties. Ate just about every leaf about a week ago, and there hasn't been much improvement in them yet. Hopefully they pull through. If it comes down to it I suppose I can take some
cuts from the ones in the tent, and get new moms that way.

Here's how the tent looks: 20240211_093622.jpg

And here's my sad mothers. Any tips for getting them to bounce back? 20240211_100639.jpg

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking great! Getting things dialed in and figured out! Sorry to hear about the cat damage, they are bad about eating plants. Looks like they make bounce back, I don't know. Put them outside if the weather is above 60F in my opinion. They need light to eat with so few leaves.

Going to be some good flowers filling out in there! Thanks for the update!

greencalyx

Premium user
Unfortunately, I won't be seeing those kind of temps for a while.

I have some "kelp me kelp you" liquid nutrient by fox farm I'm thinking of using as a foliar spray. The soil is still pretty moist due to less transpiring leaves, so I don't want to add any moisture there just yet. Not sure how much to dilute it, however, and I don't wanna risk damaging what little leaves I have left.

I may just wait until the soil dries a bit more and give it the normal way

greencalyx

Premium user
Here's how things look today.

I'm gonna flip the lights soon. And since I have the space, I'll start some seeds tomorrow, so I'll have plants ready to move into the flower tent once these finish up. Was planning starting clones, but after my mothers got massacred, I guess I'll do seeds. Gotta bunch of freebies that I probably would've never grown otherwise, so that's a positive.

I'll probably start a new thread for the new seedlings, since the title of this one isn't really accurate anymore. New thread will just be a more general thread showing what I've got going on at the moment.

Here's the tent. DC#7 in the top left, #9 in the top right. Trop cherry in the center, and triangle kush in the bottom right
20240224_135859.jpg

greencalyx

Premium user
Here's how everything looks today
20240312_153510.jpg
The four plants in the bottom right quadrant with the funky colored leaves were the ones that were transplanted yesterday, so hopefully they'll cheer up soon.

I am a bit worried about how my deep chunk mothers are looking. Really strange looking leaves on the bottom. Looks pretty good up top still. I cut the tops off and stuck them in the cloner. I keep my mother's in fairly small pots, trying to do the bonzai thing (anyone still do this? Found out about it on a pretty old thread here, wonder if it's still valid). Maybe they just need to be root pruned and get some fresh soil. Haven't done this part before, so idk.

Here's how rhe bottoms of the deep chunk moms look. Right after I topped them.
20240312_155123.jpg

And here's the healthy tops in the cloner (corners) along with a couple trop cherry cuttings.
20240312_165901.jpg

I got the trop cherry cuttings from my plants in the tent, because my trop mom didn't survive the cat attack a while ago. Lost the last of the few surviving leaves a few days ago. (Front right, lol)
20240312_165847.jpg

The two in the back are new to me. GG4 back left and skunkdawg back right. Both are ready to be topped for the first time and I'll try and root those as well

rindindoo

Yes, it is very convenient, it saves space and resources for those growers who only need a few cuts per year from their mother or father. At different times, the number of mother plants reached 30 1 liter pots, now I keep my bonsai mothers in 0.5 liter pots with coconut.
full
I've been wanting to try Deep Chunk and compare it to some Kandahar lines, so I'm waiting for the smoke report :)
Good luck!

greencalyx

Premium user
Nice! Glad to see it's still used, and that is perfect for my situation.

While it's nice having an archive of information going back decades, you can sometimes end up following outdated information if you aren't careful. It's a real problem on another site I'm on.

How often do you root prune your bonzais and how can you tell that they need it?

Nice lophs by the way!

rindindoo

I trim them when I see that they are too overgrown and interfere with each other. I also try to trim
until the lowest side shoots along which the stem is cut become elongated and accordingly increase the height of the bonsai. It is also customary to trim the root ball 1 cm from each edge to renew the root system. I won’t tell you how often this should be done, because
I do not perform this procedure; in the photograph there are mothers who are more than one year old and whose roots have not been trimmed. if the pot is 1l or higher, then no more than once a year, I think so.
Thank you for paying attention to my Peyotics :)

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks great! I think the Deep Chunk have some minor inbreeding depression which may cause more of the plants to have some wavy/ crinkled leaves.

When breeding with DC those traits would likely go away when outcrossed. Kaleb from Humboldt CSI was talking about how inbred DC is and said its best strength is as a breeding tool maybe not so much as a production plant. May find some great keepers in there though. Looks like they are holding up well! Thanks for sharing, GreenCalyx!

greencalyx

Premium user
Yes! That's my goal! Keep digging until I find something like that!

Unfortunately, my seeds didn't mature. I heard mixed opinions on weither the seeds would continue to mature while revegging. Unfortunately they did not

I've got plenty of pollen tho.

I'm going to do a repeat of my first grow before the end of the year, and pop a full pack from csi again. Let my seeds mature this time, and then I'll have plenty of seeds to dig through.

mudballs

Yes! That's my goal! Keep digging until I find something like that!

Unfortunately, my seeds didn't mature. I heard mixed opinions on weither the seeds would continue to mature while revegging. Unfortunately they did not

I've got plenty of pollen tho.

I'm going to do a repeat of my first grow before the end of the year, and pop a full pack from csi again. Let my seeds mature this time, and then I'll have plenty of seeds to dig through.
Seeds will mature in 24/7 light...after polination the seed development doesn't care about light schedule...BUT, plants can abort...they can abort flowering and seed production. If you go into flower a few weeks, have a timer accident of too many days, then try to go back to flower them, they most times won't finish. They just stop trichome production, calyxs wont swell, it's aborted...same can happen with seed production. I'm not sure what forces a seed abort but i do know, from experience, after polinated you can slam that thing back into 24/7 light and speed up those seeds. Even with cuttings it works. Try it...polinate a branch, look for seed confirmation, then cut it and put in a vase with nute mix, and you will get mature seeds...faster than keeping them in 12/12 too. I know, i did it....but they can abort, idk exactly what the trigger is...maybe we'll see a hint one day.

greencalyx

Premium user
That's interesting... wonder what happened to mine and why they aborted. Didn't mess with the lights, didn't even cut anything off the plant. Just sent the whole thing into 24 or 18/6, can't remember. And left them that way for about a year, lol.

I still have the seeds from the two best plants, just in case, but the seeds are all small, light colored and float. Haven't tried germing them, just float test.

Maybe I should take a closer look at them. I may get lucky and find some viable ones

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I recommend making an F1 hybrid while you are at it. You may find the plants you like in there more easily than searching through the DC since DC is more inbred. Hybridizing may bring out some DC traits and have more hybrid vigor and better resin quality. Love the DC x Blueberry plants.