What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First grow, Deep Chunk open pollination

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Great try and you will gain a lot from this try.
Welp, been a while since I've updated this, and things have gotten crazy.

I did transplant them into 3gal fabric pots. I transplanted half and the other half a couple weeks later, because a bunch of random life stuff popped up.

I ended up switching to flower only a couple weeks ago, after about 3 months of veg, lol.

As you can imagine, things are pretty crowded in the tent. My original plan was to more or less just let the pollen fly in there, for an open pollination. That's not gonna work out so well now, in these close quarters. Here we are at about 2weeks:

View attachment 18841841
View attachment 18841842
View attachment 18841843
View attachment 18841844

So now, there is a change of plans. I think I will flower the males in a separate room, collect pollen, then pollinate the ladies by hand, or similar means. I should have the other room set up next weekend.

I did take clones of everyone, but only about half look to be successful. Is it too far into flower to try again?

greencalyx

Premium user
Ok, so I am starting to see a couple open flowers on each male plant. We're about 2.5- 3weeks into flower. This is probably too early to get anywhere with the females right?

I was planning on moving the males into another room to collect their pollen, then use the mix to pollinate the females by hand. Problem is that my other room won't be ready until Sunday when my other light gets here. Was initially thinking I'd have them in their own room for a week or two before they started dropping. I thought I had another week at least.

Not sure of the plan now. I guess I'll just hope the females aren't receptive quite yet.

There really isn't much light in the room I plan to move them in, just a couple small windows. Maybe I can try to get some more light in there just to keep the males alive for a few days before my light gets here. Not even sure I'll need that light since they are already starting to drop pollen now.

I think they are too packed in the tent for the males to pollinate each female. I think they'll mainly just get the females that are in close proximity to them. Not ideal for what I want to do.

Any ideas?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I tried, but I kept second guessing myself. Still check the weight everytime I decide to water, so I become more familiar with the weight. I think I am getting better at recognizing the right weight now.

I check with my finger, and even then I am still thinking there could be plenty of moisture just beyond my finger, and I definitely don't want to disturb the roots by checking deeper.

Once a couple plants start to look like this, I start to feel confident it is time to water. (Pic from now as I am about to water again) At least, I hope that's what the plant is telling me..
View attachment 18824579
This plant would grow like crazy if you up-potted it into a 3 gallon pot. Using the same soil.

greencalyx

Premium user
They certainly did grow crazy after I up potted. I put them all into 3gal fabric pots 2-4weeks before putting them into flower (had to do in batches because I was super busy with alot of stuff). Definitely solved a lot of issues I was having; they were extremely rootbound. They've been much happier ever since. I just wanted to make sure they were happy before I flipped them, so they ended up getting about 3months of veg.

Some ridiculous sized leaves too. Like palm fronds, lol. Much bigger than a dinner plate

I think they are 3weeks from flip now

greencalyx

Premium user
So I collected a bunch of pollen and freed up a bunch of space in the tent. Out of 19 I ended up having 8 females, 10 males and a hermie.

That herm is definitely stress induced. My tap water that I used for a lot of the grow was way too hard; like 500ppm. And then one day I accidentally closed my cat in the grow room before work and he somehow got in the tent and had his way with things all day, lol.

That said, I think things are going well now, and I already have a real standout at about 4weeks:
20230525_080711.jpg

greencalyx

Premium user
Here's a couple of pics from today. This is just the best looker of the 8 fems I ended up with. Unfortunately, my cutting of this guy didn't take. It's been super hot here recently and temps have gotten a bit high and I think that's why about half of my cuttings failed to root. Definitely gonna try and reveg this one. Just looks amazing. Looks a bit sad now after a flush. I bought a filter that worked really well at getting the hardness out of my water, but I guess it only worked for about 15gal before ppm levels were like the filter wasn't even there. Didn't want to risk a lockout like I had earlier in veg.

20230602_161442.jpg 20230602_161547.jpg

greencalyx

Premium user
Ok, it's been a while. I ended up moving last year to a bigger house. Now I have over 700sq ft to grow in!!

I kept the two best looking females alive throughout all the mayhem of the move, and things are getting started again.

Here's a picture with the two seed grown plants that were revegged that I have selected in the back. They're about a year old now, and lookin a lil rough

In front of them are their clones.

Attachments

• 20240107_105542.jpg
    20240107_105542.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 43

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sweet, glad you still have them going. I didn't get Deep Chunk out in the garden last year because the seedlings got stunted by cold. I haven't seen a lot of grows with them, so I hesitate to put them out in a shady spot in competition with other hybrids that grow faster.

Interesing one of them is growing with normal big leaves, and the other revegged plant is dense and bushy. Should you prune back on that bushy one to promote more normal looking growth on fewer branches? Glad you were able to salvage them.

Humboldt CSI still is offereing Deep Chunk if you need more seed.

Missed out seeing flowering cycle. How long was flowering cycle and how was harvest? Any pics of the finished dried flowers or mature harvest pics?

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's a couple of pics from today. This is just the best looker of the 8 fems I ended up with. Unfortunately, my cutting of this guy didn't take. It's been super hot here recently and temps have gotten a bit high and I think that's why about half of my cuttings failed to root. Definitely gonna try and reveg this one. Just looks amazing. Looks a bit sad now after a flush. I bought a filter that worked really well at getting the hardness out of my water, but I guess it only worked for about 15gal before ppm levels were like the filter wasn't even there. Didn't want to risk a lockout like I had earlier in veg.

View attachment 18849271 View attachment 18849272
Seeing some DC traits coming through on my Sativa Candy Chunk

Some of these plants are so leafy and they have highly resinous flower bract (leaf) margins.

full

greencalyx

Premium user
Unfortunately, there wasn't really a harvest. With the move going on, i wasn't able to keep a very good eye on them while they were drying and they all got mold. Also, the seeds didn't mature...

But I was able to get successful clones off of the plant I really liked (#9), and I also have clones from a second choice plant (#7). These two were the only two of the 8 fems that were super resinous and had the resin extending down the leaf magins. #9 started showing this really early at around 4weeks. #7 started looking like that a couple weeks later. They were all done at 9weeks

Excited to see how these girls turn out grown sinsemilla

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah with really dense flowers like that, they may be too prone to mold with my partial shade woods garden.

How long will you vegetate those clones before flowering?

Would it be good to take one or 2 of the clones for mother plants and flower the revegged mothers to get them out of the cycle since they are a year old?

May get old and slow if not cycled out.

greencalyx

Premium user
Clones are 2-3weeks old now. I'm going to put them into 3gallon pots in the next day or two, then will let them veg for another month before flowering.

I think I will pick the best looking clone of each for mothers, and flower the old plants, just like you say. I plan to do the bonzai thing, and keep the moms compact.

I have a clone of Tropicana Cherry that I just put into dirt from my aerocloner that will be joining the mix, and possibly a clone of Triangle Kush if it roots soon enough

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sweet! 'Sounds like a really great lineup of strains! Very cool, hope they root for you! Keep them warm! Kep them humid. Spray the foliage a few times a day or have a humidity dome, I guess. :smoke:

greencalyx

Premium user
Well, I sure am rooting for them ;)

Just put the TK cut in the cloner last night. Probably won't get much veg time after rooting, but I am excited to check it out, regardless of size. I'll give it some proper veg time next run

greencalyx

Premium user
Feeling a bit under the weather today, but still managed to get a few things done. Tent is a mess, lol. I'll get it cleaned up once I feel better.

Got the clones into their 3gal pots. In the smaller pots we have my two new mothers to be, a week old Tropicana cherry clone, and a raggedy clone of DC #9 that I haven't given up on yet

In the cloner there are two cuts of TK and another cut of trop cherry

Still not sure if I want to flower the year old plants. I'm sure they are rootbound from being in that same pot all this time, but i don't have the means to get then in a bigger pot at the moment.

Looks like I'm having trouble uploading the pic. I'll try again later

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not real familiar with revegging, but some people root-prune them at some point.

May want to try some DC hybrids as well. According to breeder Mean Gene on The Potcast, sometimes you may be able to find the phenotypes you want in the hybrids rather than the original line itself.

I have grown lots of Deep Chunk hybrids, but when I did grow Deep Chunk 15 years ago, it was just males, and there was one female that didn't make it for whatever reason. I've yet to try DC, but I am curious.

I planted DC last spring and it ended up getting stunted due to cold weather.

I guess this is your first grow. I would try the DC hybrids or make one yourself, and you may find out you like them better than the plant's you found so far looking through DC.

Latest posts

Latest posts