What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First grow, Deep Chunk open pollination

greencalyx

Premium user
Hey everyone. I've been lurking around this site for quite a while, and finally things have lined up for me to be able to grow. Super excited!

The deep chunk pictures I have seen over the years have always stunned me. It's always been on top of my "to grow" list. My first grow will be an open pollination seed run, to ensure I have plenty of seeds for the future. I got my seeds from CSI Humboldt. According to their website the seeds are from an open pollination of Tom Hill seedstock from 2003.

I will be using a Mars Hydro FC-E1000W in a 5x5 tent. Light is about 3-4ft above the soil and at its lowest setting. For ventilation, I have an 8 inch inline exhaust fan (passive intake). Ventilation is off currently to keep humidity up a bit for the seedlings. Fan and light are hooked up to a controller with a temp, humidity and vpd probe.

On Wednesday (jan 25), i planted 21 seeds directly into a 1-2in layer of coir atop of happy frog soil. No presoak/paper towel. As of today, about half have popped up.

Current conditions inside the tent are 79.1F and 29.1% 20230129_065142.jpg

revegeta666

Hey everyone. I've been lurking around this site for quite a while, and finally things have lined up for me to be able to grow. Super excited!

The deep chunk pictures I have seen over the years have always stunned me. It's always been on top of my "to grow" list. My first grow will be an open pollination seed run, to ensure I have plenty of seeds for the future. I got my seeds from CSI Humboldt. According to their website the seeds are from an open pollination of Tom Hill seedstock from 2003.

I will be using a Mars Hydro FC-E1000W in a 5x5 tent. Light is about 3-4ft above the soil and at its lowest setting. For ventilation, I have an 8 inch inline exhaust fan (passive intake). Ventilation is off currently to keep humidity up a bit for the seedlings. Fan and light are hooked up to a controller with a temp, humidity and vpd probe.

On Wednesday (jan 25), i planted 21 seeds directly into a 1-2in layer of coir atop of happy frog soil. No presoak/paper towel. As of today, about half have popped up.

Current conditions inside the tent are 79.1F and 29.1% View attachment 18806205
Edit - sorry I got a little carried away lol, as I am considering getting some Deep Chunk in the near future so quite excited about this thread. I agree with the RH, you should try to get it up to 60 if you can. Best of luck with the grow(y)(y)

@pipeline hop on board mate!

Last edited:

greencalyx

Premium user
Humidity is too low.
Thanks for the tip. I was pretty surprised at how dry it was in there once I got the probe set up. I thought felt humid in there compared to the rest of the house. The rest of the house must be bone dry, haha. It is sub-zero outside currently, so I shouldn't be too surprised

I have a humidifier, but it's not a cool mist. And it's surprisingly warm in that room when the door is shut.

I think I'll put some open containers of water in there for now. Maybe I'll get a cool mist later

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great to see you've got them going in 4 days! I didn't know happy frog could be used a germination media. I guess its organic and fairly mellow. I wouldn't hesitate on the ventilation, little bit of wind is important to make the seedlings have strong stems. Also helps soil not stay too moist, and gets the plant drawing nutrients. I don't know about RH. Would probably be good to have it higher, but I don't know it matters, temp is most important.

What size container are they being transplanted into next? Just running Happy Frog? Plants are happy as a frog. :smoke:

greencalyx

Premium user
Great to see you've got them going in 4 days! I didn't know happy frog could be used a germination media. I guess its organic and fairly mellow. I wouldn't hesitate on the ventilation, little bit of wind is important to make the seedlings have strong stems. Also helps soil not stay too moist, and gets the plant drawing nutrients. I don't know about RH. Would probably be good to have it higher, but I don't know it matters, temp is most important.

What size container are they being transplanted into next? Just running Happy Frog? Plants are happy as a frog. :smoke:

I have heard of some using it for germination, but as I was rehydrating it (my bag was really dry/hydrophobic), I noticed it was maybe a bit too "chunky" with bits of wood to be used for germination, so I topped it off with coir.

I took your advice, and put small desk fan in there on low. Exhaust is still off, to try and keep humidity up. I have some open Tupperwares with water that i put in the tent. That alone got the RH up to 50% where it leveled off. I bet the extra air movement will coax some more of that water into the air.

I think I may just stay with happy frog, not sure yet. If not, I'll use ocean forest, I think. Not sure if I'll use any intermediate pot sizes or go straight into the 2gal that I'll finish them in. They are currently in 2.5in pots. I also have 4in pots, and 6in pots.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would let them get some momentum a few days and go straight to 2 gal. Just be careful not to overwater and compress too much. They will not fill it out right away, but they will like the leg room.

Looking forward to seeing how these stretch. 1000 watt is a pretty good light. That will be really intense over the entire area! Some people have issues with the big fan leaves. Should you suppliment with lights on the sides too since we're growing Deep Chunk?

greencalyx

Premium user
I think I'll do that. Straight to 2gal.

Yeah, that light is a beast. Almost too much for the space, but I guess I don't HAVE to turn it up all the way. A PAR meter would definitely be handy. I'm thinking, since the light is so powerful, I can have more space between the canopy and the light. I think this might allow the light diffuse more and give more opportunity for it to reflect off the sides of the tent and make it to the lower leaves.

I was also thinking of supplementing with some red lights in flower. I've heard leds have just a touch too much blue for flowering and adding red would help balance it out. But I could add these to the sides maybe.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have decided to run the single 315 watt cdm vertical next grow and no reflector. i ordered a connector so i can use the e40 connector and i will use an old reflector and snip the reflector away and use the fitting and adapter for a vert position cdm bulb and fit in the 4 x 60 watt budget leds around it . one over each plant and cdm vert central . 4 plants
Shiva is growing black triangle which is a select Triangle Kush I think. It has big leaves, not sure if thats why he's using this bulb, but its a different approach to get light in at an angle.

Yeah you have the right idea bring the light up and diffuse the light to spread it out. Put some auxillary lights to brighten it up. That sounds like it would help.
:smoke:

laszlokovacs

16/21 seeds up now so far
Running through the whole pack I love it:respect:. This should be an interesting thread. I've been wanting to run the deep chunk, Gotta make sure to grab a pack before they sell out again. I don't grow indoors but yeah "you don't HAVE to turn it up all the way"... maybe it would be better the run with less intense light. I dont remember super well but @pipeline knows im sure, isnt deep chunk meant to perform better in partial shade? Thats one of the reasons they appeal to me as an outdoor grower but not sure what that would mean indoors if im even remembering correctly

greencalyx

Premium user
Here's how things are going, one week after putting seeds into soil.

20230201_062529.jpg

Not sure what happened to the last one, but I'll give him a few more days.

Been playing with the exhaust fan controller because humidity was often getting to 70%+. Now it is steady around 59-63%

greencalyx

Premium user
Running through the whole pack I love it:respect:. This should be an interesting thread. I've been wanting to run the deep chunk, Gotta make sure to grab a pack before they sell out again. I don't grow indoors but yeah "you don't HAVE to turn it up all the way"... maybe it would be better the run with less intense light. I dont remember super well but @pipeline knows im sure, isnt deep chunk meant to perform better in partial shade? Thats one of the reasons they appeal to me as an outdoor grower but not sure what that would mean indoors if im even remembering correctly

I listened to the Potcast episode with Tom Hill. He definitely mentioned it as a low light plant a few times. The guy interviewing said he had trouble growing deep chunk in a tent, and they mentioned the low light thing as a possible explanation. We'll see I guess

laszlokovacs

Gotchu I will be lurking for sure. 20+ seeds up in a week is a good sign for vigor im sure the open pollination will kick ass- good luck

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Deep Chunk is a full sun plant, it just tolerates partial shade. All cannabis are sun loving, it won't be much different, but Tom was saying you could take advantage of the shade tolerance of the plant by growing over as large an area as the light will allow and even the edges will likely produce well. I think he was saying like 12'x12' area with a single good light.

Last edited: