What's new

First grow:600w (1)dwc (1)soil Strain:humberry

Hello all, thanks for stopping in, i am going to attempt to log my first grow here. i have read a lot of threads but still have a lot to learn...anyway on to the good stuff

tent: secret jardin (the 39 1/2" model)

veg light: sunmaster cool deluxe mh 600w, (vegging 20 on 4 off)

flower light: hilux gro 600w hps

air flow: 2 centrifigul 4" fans rated at 171, 1 sucks air out from the cool tube, the other is for intake. then i have 1 small fan inside the tent blowing air around

nutes: for the dwc i have canna aqua A+B and for the soil i have fox farms 3 pack and straight ffof soil with a layer of hydrotron on it

strain: humberry

temps: 76-84

rh: 40%

pics to come...

day 47 12/12

picture.php

53 days of 12/12 and i chopped due to increasing powder mildew. dried shot
picture.php

Last edited:

these were taken june 1

picture.php

i promise i will get better at posting pics. anyway so these were officially cut on 4-21 and took a while to root. i had some probs with ph and temps in the beggining so they didnt get a good start but i think they have recovered nicely now. also had a small amount of powder mildew on the soil plant. i have adressed this problem and also moved the grow tent, so i hope that wont be recurring.

ok now this brings us up to date @ june 16th. i will try to update with pics every couple of days. im getting a bit anxious to flip to 12/12. unsure about the small light leaks in the zipper and also im thinking of transplanting the soil one into a bigger container. shes in a 3 gal bucket now. if i do im going to add perlite to the ffof that i have leftover from before.

i would love to have any comments about my setup and what i can do to make it better. im here to learn. i will happily answer any questions as well but keep in mind im just a noob green thumb :joint:

the first real issue i would like to adress is the fox farms OF soil i am using. i have read up on it (after i bought it along with the nutes of course) and i have come to realize i shouldnt use the nutes with this soil. i have only been using the "grow big" up to this point. also the watering schedule i am using is going to change i think, i have been watering 1 quart / day and there has been just a little runoff. i think im going to skip watering until the plant reacts and tells me it needs water. then go from there, thoughts?

thanks for the kind words mashup, thanks for taking a look

im getting very excited to switch to 12/12. thinking of adding a scrog net before i make the flip, im also not sure if i should transplant to a bigger container

RussCargill

might as well replant that girl into a larger container. I would recommend 5 gallons or bigger. The more room you give to the roots the larger the plant can get.

That is a great start to LST on the soil plant. I personally would pinch all my tops back right now. This is also help bush out the plant. I would also bend over your tops as well. just bend them back over them selves with out injury, and then let them go back. It will help level out your canopy. As well as let the lower stuff even up

might as well replant that girl into a larger container. I would recommend 5 gallons or bigger. The more room you give to the roots the larger the plant can get.

That is a great start to LST on the soil plant. I personally would pinch all my tops back right now. This is also help bush out the plant. I would also bend over your tops as well. just bend them back over them selves with out injury, and then let them go back. It will help level out your canopy. As well as let the lower stuff even up

russ- thanks for the reply, plan on going to a 5 gallon tommorow. any advice before i do it? last transplant i did was a bit scary although the plant didnt seem to mind. i did a good search here on icmag but didnt find anything.

sometimes when i try to snip the tops (pulling apart new leaves and snipping the new growth) it still manages to grow up. now there is one on the dwc bucket and one on the soil plant. i will post a pic to show what i mean. what am i doing wrong? should i cut this top off so it isnt growning a mutant top?

june 18th - hoping to swith to 12/12 in about a week at the most, figure i will let them fill in a little more, bigger plants = more bud right? would like to get a scrog net built for the soil plant, im going to add a couple clones to the tent ( if they root )so i dont want the net over the entire space.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Bon.G.Loder

Damn Bandonlooper1, every time I see plants flourishing in hydroton, I start thinking about getting a drip system going again. My 1st setup was the old round style Aquafarm bucket drip system. Made some very healthy ladies in that system!

Your ladies look nice, I'm gonna try to use a net the next round, with more to tame back.

Good looking grow Bandonlooper1 I'll be watchin' your progress for tips.

Damn Bandonlooper1, every time I see plants flourishing in hydroton, I start thinking about getting a drip system going again. My 1st setup was the old round style Aquafarm bucket drip system. Made some very healthy ladies in that system!

Your ladies look nice, I'm gonna try to use a net the next round, with more to tame back.

Good looking grow Bandonlooper1 I'll be watchin' your progress for tips.

loder - thanks for stopping bye, i like the hydrotron so far, just make sure you give it a real good rinse before using it.

thursday i went for the dreaded task of transplanting the one in soil. i went to a 5 gallon bucket using the same soil (ffof), only this time i mixed a few good scoops of perlite. i think i got more freaked out then the plant did. unfortanetly i do stupid things when i panic and ended up tearing a bit of the root system apart :noway::noway::noway: man was i freaking out for a bit. eventually i got her into her new bucket. its been a little over 36 hours now since the transplant and other than being just a bit droopy she looks good. shes got a bit of a diff stature to her now, standing a bit taller.

friday night i topped both plants in a few more spots trying to get the canopy a bit more even and get them to fill out in spots.

nows the tough part, a big decision: i have 4 clones that are rooting. a couple have the smallest little roots coming out. i dont really have a good seperate veg area set up yet, but that could change if id get off my lazy ass. so that being said should i....

A: flip to 12/12 now and get the clones in the flower cabinet in about 3 weeks after a lil cfl veg...or

B: wait about a week till i get the clones ready and throw them into flower as babys

be interested to hear opinions on how much these two plants are going to fill my tent once they stretch into flower, and how much room you think ill have for the clones.

still undecided on building a scrog net. someone please talk me into it.

hopefully pics to come in a second ( if i can remember how to do it )

anybody out there use canna aqua a+b in dwc? if so are the color of my roots normal. i fig its just the nutes staining the roots...hope im right

Mist

Yea, it is just the nutrients making the roots look like that. Nothing to worry about.

You are doing a great job with your setup. I wouldn't change a thing except how you are trying to get the plants to bush up. What works best is to go down from the end of the top and on each limb and slightly crush the stem and bend it over on itself. Be easy when you do it and make sure and pinch it all the way around before you bend it over. Then the lower branches will have time to come up and towards the top as the plant heals the area that you bent over. I have been doing this method for 25 years (my father taught me) and it works way better than topping or cutting out new young growth.

Yea, it is just the nutrients making the roots look like that. Nothing to worry about.

You are doing a great job with your setup. I wouldn't change a thing except how you are trying to get the plants to bush up. What works best is to go down from the end of the top and on each limb and slightly crush the stem and bend it over on itself. Be easy when you do it and make sure and pinch it all the way around before you bend it over. Then the lower branches will have time to come up and towards the top as the plant heals the area that you bent over. I have been doing this method for 25 years (my father taught me) and it works way better than topping or cutting out new young growth.

mist- thank you for confirming that about the roots. they just look so healthy.

ill give the bending method a try, i can do this up until flower right?

well i think im going to make the flip to flower today.

ive read that flowering with the mh bulb for first 2 weeks is good to keep stretching down, then switch to the hps. any comments on that? also 36 hours dark time before i set the 12/12 schedule?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey bl that some good lst work there!

mh will help keep the stretch down but much of it is due to the genetics.

ive read about the 36 hours dark kickstarting flowering too - but i guess you miss out a days growth though.

good luck

V.

Mist

mist- thank you for confirming that about the roots. they just look so healthy.

ill give the bending method a try, i can do this up until flower right?

Yes you can do the pinch and bend over method up until flowerinng. But not after. That is something that I like to start when they are about 12 inches high and after a couple weeks you will not only be doing the tops but also branches that have reached the top. In the end you should have a nice domed top to the plant.
I will have to do another picture tutorial on my next grow on this method. People have a tendancy to break off their tops because they fail to take the time to crush the stem gently all the way around first. And then some try to do it in flower and really mess things up.