What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First DWC: white widow, northern lights

t33to

Whoops. This time with the attachment

I've never noticed the tangling becoming an issue unless of course I want to separate them into different containers in which case I do my best to pull em apart or I just cut em with scissors. The growth is so fast in DWC you don't even have to worry about damaging a small portion of the root system but avoid if if you can.

Also, anytime you lose you a portion of you root to mass to whatever reason always be sure to to give them a little less light. If you lose 10% of your root mass, give them 10% less light by dimming the bulbs if you got digi balasts or raising the lights a few inches.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
Hey MD,
Those roots are pretty damn dark.

I have three suggestions and a question.

When you have sexed them , how will you seperate the root masses?

If I would do anything for this grow , Id have an airpump pushing 4 large stones at a minimum 10 gallons a minute. 1 for each plant.

Id also suggest you flush at least every 2 weeks for 48 hrs. I personally flush once a week on my grow.

Before you go to bloom, Flush and lights off for 36 hours as well. That will get them hungry and prime their pumps for the 12/12

Ya those are pretty entangled. Tough call, if they were regular pheno I'd say no problem. But your stressing the autos out pretty hard if gonna cut those. Def gonna effect final yield. Is there any way to leave tem in same container?

megadude

Transfer is done. Man, they're not happy. It's a day later and they're wilting a little, leaves don't look as happy obviously. Separating the roots took a few minutes, had to cut a couple stubborn roots. Cringe.

Temps got pretty warm the first day too (82).
The pump is outside the tent now and pumping nice cool air into the water. Only did a light solution for now

Should I add root builder? Or keep it simple for a few days?

Ah the learning curve..

Transfer is done. Man, they're not happy. It's a day later and they're wilting a little, leaves don't look as happy obviously. Separating the roots took a few minutes, had to cut a couple stubborn roots. Cringe.

The pump is outside the tent now and pumping nice cool air into the water. Only did a light solution for now

Ah the learning curve..

Have any b1? Other than that I'd keep it just water

t33to

Ah the learning curve..

Raise or dim those lights!

megadude

I was Feelin good about this grow and now I'm really feelin like a rookie. For whatever reason the apartment heat (we can't control) is going pretty strong and apt is close to 78 degrees. I switched back to the smaller light in hopes to keep temps down (83 again in tent over night)
Hopefully I can grab an AC today. :(

Water temps were way too high too.. 75 when I woke up. The biggest strongest plant has brown roots again, too. Not crazy or slimy but not what we are looking for either.
All plants exept the this one are a little sad and droopy

I was Feelin good about this grow and now I'm really feelin like a rookie. For whatever reason the apartment heat (we can't control) is going pretty strong and apt is close to 78 degrees. I switched back to the smaller light in hopes to keep temps down (83 again in tent over night)
Hopefully I can grab an AC today. :(

Water temps were way too high too.. 75 when I woke up. The biggest strongest plant has brown roots again, too. Not crazy or slimy but not what we are looking for either.
All plants exept the this one are a little sad and droopy

Trying to do to much lol and should of practiced on a non auto. Gonna stress the auto si much if it does finish your yield prob not gonna amount to the time out in.

megadude

Trying to do to much lol and should of practiced on a non auto. Gonna stress the auto si much if it does finish your yield prob not gonna amount to the time out in.

yeaaaa live and learn right? i had low expectations for my first run so if i get anything i'll still be happy. if it doesnt look like they'll make it after this week ill be starting some new seeds and getting the big tent up to speed before planting 'em - lol.

megadude

It's been a while, i'm without photos but here's the updates.

Added another air pump (now running general hydro pump and a "commercial" grade pump. two buckets each, lots lots lots more air getting pumped in there.
I've also started running hydroguard and calmag, which, I'll probably run from now on regardless of temps. Roots are beautiful white and filling about 1/3 of each bucket, with the exception of my little runt (the northern lights bugger). Calmag looks to take care of what was an apparent calcium deficiency (learning!!)

Plants are about 30" tall now, pushing a ton of air through the tent and humidifier on low during light cycle.

I'm not sure if my 10 days of root shock are going to delay flower, or if everything will keep on trucking, but i'm thinking to switch the lights over to 12/12 to help out the switch in the next week or two.

I've trimmed off a litttle from the bottoms to keep the air flow going, and tied back a couple branches to allow more light.

pictures soon! feeling much better. still not expecting a huge yield, but it looks like all 4 should make it through the whole process.

Latest posts

Latest posts