What's new

First DWC: white widow, northern lights

dociron

Pullin up a chair here, got a cold brew, some pop corn, and a nice bowl, leanin' back and ready to learn about this newfangled light n hydro stuff, 'bout time this old dog learned some new tricks.... :tiphat:

megadude

Here's the update!

Finally got around to getting the tent I originally wanted to build, built.
Also fixed up the top of the res with a fancy double cardboard, panda filmed version of the soggy mess I had before.
pH went up, and the water was a little low, so I refilled the water back up and pH'd back to 5.8 and we're looking good.

This pics are from last night, and i didnt get a chance to snap a photo in the morning, but damn the plants are loving their new home. The drooping has ended, and now they're stretching up and loving all the reflected light. Temps are rock solid at 78 and now there's a fan blowing around some of the air. I'd like to get an exhaust fan in there but still don't have time. Also going to get the light on some chains soon so I can adjust height and build a scrog net.

Any suggestions? I'm a little nervous about cropping or LST because they're autoflower, but would love to if anyone thinks its a good idea and will produce more of the good stuff later.

Cliff notes:
pH was up, refilled res and pH down back to 5.8
PPM : 490 - "Lucas" + 5mL of root builder, might do more(0-0-2.5)
Air temp : 78
Humidity : around 30%

Thanks for the help guys!
S

Attachments

• roots.jpg
    roots.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 9
  • lighthite.jpg
    lighthite.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 6
  • update.jpg
    update.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 12
  • dooropen.jpg
    dooropen.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 6
  • light1.jpg
    light1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 11

HarvestMoon303

Here's the update!

Also fixed up the top of the res with a fancy double cardboard, panda filmed version of the soggy mess I had before.
pH went up, and the water was a little low, so I refilled the water back up and pH'd back to 5.8 and we're looking good.

Looks good. Those things will start to grow into monsters in no time! I like your light/tote rack. :woohoo:

Here's the update!

This pics are from last night, and i didnt get a chance to snap a photo in the morning, but damn the plants are loving their new home. The drooping has ended, and now they're stretching up and loving all the reflected light. Temps are rock solid at 78 and now there's a fan blowing around some of the air. I'd like to get an exhaust fan in there but still don't have time. Also going to get the light on some chains soon so I can adjust height and build a scrog net.

Any suggestions? I'm a little nervous about cropping or LST because they're autoflower, but would love to if anyone thinks its a good idea and will produce more of the good stuff later.

Cliff notes:
pH was up, refilled res and pH down back to 5.8
PPM : 490 - "Lucas" + 5mL of root builder, might do more(0-0-2.5)
Air temp : 78
Humidity : around 30%

Thanks for the help guys!
S

Looking awesome!!!! My suggestion is let them grow don't top them dont LST if you've never grown them before you wanna feel them out. I did a side by side with 3 of them ( no training, topped, LST ) and the no training one had a better yield. The one thing I did like about LST is that the bottom buds got denser.

megadude

Looking awesome!!!! My suggestion is let them grow don't top them dont LST if you've never grown them before you wanna feel them out. I did a side by side with 3 of them ( no training, topped, LST ) and the no training one had a better yield. The one thing I did like about LST is that the bottom buds got denser.

good looks thanks

megadude

Looks good. Those things will start to grow into monsters in no time! I like your light/tote rack. :woohoo:

Thanks!
PVC, cutter, and a roll of duct tape - $21
Panda Film on amazon - $19
Fittings $20

took about 20min to assemble, had to cut it all down a little to fit between table and heater. 30min to panda film, made a little flap in the front i'll be velcroing tonight

BoomerGuy

I agree with waterlab on the trimming. They look great. I would stay right where you are for a bit and let them get hungry before changing anything. Lucas is tried and true, I have used it with coco, aero, dwc, and rwdc. I think you are doing stellar for your first run.

megadude

Thanks boomer!
Here's another update.

The plants seem to be growing pretty strong, but I'm noticing a little brown build up on the roots which is a concern. Is this the start of "root rot"?

Also, one of the babes has something funky going on with the leaves. Looking through infirmary stickies, it almost looks like "caterpillar" has taken residence in my tent, but I don't see any in there so... It's either a ninja Caterpillar or i've got another issue. Any ideas?

Attachments

• rootrawt.jpg
    rootrawt.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 9
  • prawgress.jpg
    prawgress.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 10
  • chopguy.jpg
    chopguy.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 10

megadude

Had some slimy brown buildup at the bottom of the res so I cleaned everything and refilled with fresh water. Sprayed the roots clean with a spray bottle and fresh tap water. It wasn't major problem, so im not concerned, but a little bummed it happened this early..

I dropped the light down another 3", so its more like 15" away from tops. added a timer to the light so it'll be running 20 on/4 off for now and see how that goes. I've shut the light down a couple times and they seemed to like the breather. I should keep the air stones and fan going even while the light is off, right?

Changed the hoses to a blue tinted hose instead of clear. also dropped the Rapid Rooter cubes down a little deeper into the pots as to get more hydroton above the cubes as the tops seemed to be drying out a little. Since theyre only 3" net pots, maybe light was sneaking down into the res through the hydroton?

Humidifier back in the tent, set pretty much as low as it will go.

Got my first 5point leaves! on two of the plants, and the one with the degrading leaves appears to be a little healthier now. the Northern lights plant seems to be lagging behind a little, but maybe when I move everyone to their own seperate buckets and Mars 1200 in the near future (1 more week?) i can get a better handle on if its strain specific or nutrient related. I guess there's always going to be the strongest and weakest plants so maybe ive just got to deal with it.

Anybody out there, thanks for reading. all input appreciated!

Had some slimy brown buildup at the bottom of the res so I cleaned everything and refilled with fresh water. Sprayed the roots clean with a spray bottle and fresh tap water. It wasn't major problem, so im not concerned, but a little bummed it happened this early..

I dropped the light down another 3", so its more like 15" away from tops. added a timer to the light so it'll be running 20 on/4 off for now and see how that goes. I've shut the light down a couple times and they seemed to like the breather. I should keep the air stones and fan going even while the light is off, right?

Changed the hoses to a blue tinted hose instead of clear. also dropped the Rapid Rooter cubes down a little deeper into the pots as to get more hydroton above the cubes as the tops seemed to be drying out a little. Since theyre only 3" net pots, maybe light was sneaking down into the res through the hydroton?

Humidifier back in the tent, set pretty much as low as it will go.

Got my first 5point leaves! on two of the plants, and the one with the degrading leaves appears to be a little healthier now. the Northern lights plant seems to be lagging behind a little, but maybe when I move everyone to their own seperate buckets and Mars 1200 in the near future (1 more week?) i can get a better handle on if its strain specific or nutrient related. I guess there's always going to be the strongest and weakest plants so maybe ive just got to deal with it.

Anybody out there, thanks for reading. all input appreciated!

I'll try my best with this one lol lots of info and it's early:)

The brown build up happens. I noticed I got it a couple times when I ran one of those rubber maids there not completely light proof. That would be my guess.

With the led 15" is good. I would personally run 18/6 you figure there's more than 4 hours of darkness outside naturally. And with the LED I found its a little much.

Some people turn there air pumps off with there lights it won't hurt. But the more oxygen the better so i just leave them on.

I think you will have a better handle when there in seperate container. The diff strains won't be battling for the nutes, ect. but don't put them down to deep you don't want the rockwool very soaked at this point. You will run into stem Rot problems. But you def want the top of the rockwool covered or could run into algae problems.

Hopefully I got it all lol :)

megadude

I'll try my best with this one lol lots of info and it's early:)

The brown build up happens. I noticed I got it a couple times when I ran one of those rubber maids there not completely light proof. That would be my guess.

With the led 15" is good. I would personally run 18/6 you figure there's more than 4 hours of darkness outside naturally. And with the LED I found its a little much.

Some people turn there air pumps off with there lights it won't hurt. But the more oxygen the better so i just leave them on.

I think you will have a better handle when there in seperate container. The diff strains won't be battling for the nutes, ect. but don't put them down to deep you don't want the rockwool very soaked at this point. You will run into stem Rot problems. But you def want the top of the rockwool covered or could run into algae problems.

Hopefully I got it all lol :)

Currently water wise, I'm just at the bottom of the net pots with the water, each plant has roots reaching down there and i think theres enough little splashing/bubbles popping to keep the hydroton wet.

What could I cover the tops with? Panda film?
I'll cover the res with panda film when I get home tonight. I figured that might be the culprit, good to hear it from someone with more experience. Also considered insulating the res somehow but ... eh.

as for the light cycles, I see what you're saying, but at the same time, the plants aren't hanging suspended over a reservoir full of nutrient/oxygen enriched and climate controlled water/air in nature either. They should be so lucky as to have 4 hours of rest! (I guess I think of nutes/hydro/LED as more of a Ivan Drago upbringinging, where as nature would be more Rocky style.)

Whew, yeah it is early.

Thanks for the tips WaterLab, you've been a huge help and i always look forward to your responses.
best
S

Currently water wise, I'm just at the bottom of the net pots with the water, each plant has roots reaching down there and i think theres enough little splashing/bubbles popping to keep the hydroton wet.

What could I cover the tops with? Panda film?
I'll cover the res with panda film when I get home tonight. I figured that might be the culprit, good to hear it from someone with more experience. Also considered insulating the res somehow but ... eh.

as for the light cycles, I see what you're saying, but at the same time, the plants aren't hanging suspended over a reservoir full of nutrient/oxygen enriched and climate controlled water/air in nature either. They should be so lucky as to have 4 hours of rest! (I guess I think of nutes/hydro/LED as more of a Ivan Drago upbringinging, where as nature would be more Rocky style.)

Whew, yeah it is early.

Thanks for the tips WaterLab, you've been a huge help and i always look forward to your responses.
best
S

Here's my outlook on the water level. Once the roots are a few inches below the net pot I don't add so much water. Like in a 5 gallon I use 3 gallons of water. You want them submerged but you want them to reach for the water at the same time if 100% of the roots are submerged they don't have to work for it. So they won't grow a strong root structure. My water is about 5" below the net pot and have some gnarly roots very very thick. And my rockwool is always dry.

Panda film will work very good. And I have used it before to cover rockwool.

I'm glad to help :) I'm no expert ( only been growing 2 years ) but I do know hydro!

megadude

Uploading pics soon but wow we are healthy and strong. Huge root growth spurt and the leaves have followed. Trying to make the move to the big 4x4 in the next few days!

megadude

Whoops that was roots. They look a little browner in the pic then they actually are, but I don't think it's an issue because they're still growing very fast. The root builder is a dark brown condensed color and could also be adding to that. Thoughts?

Here's the tops

Will I be able to transfer these to bigger net pots or might I just stay in the 3" all the way?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 12
Whoops that was roots. They look a little browner in the pic then they actually are, but I don't think it's an issue because they're still growing very fast. The root builder is a dark brown condensed color and could also be adding to that. Thoughts?

Here's the tops

Will I be able to transfer these to bigger net pots or might I just stay in the 3" all the way?

Could be the root builder. I know voodoo juice makes my roots brown for a day or two. No idea why because not even brown lol. I take mine out and spray them, could also use 3% hydrogen peroxide. Or some clear res.

I'd leave them in 3" that don't matter, I grew a 4' plant in a 4"

megadude

Am i about on track for day 19 under a 96w LED? Not trying to be greedy, but hoping the 1200 really kicks them into overdrive

Am i about on track for day 19 under a 96w LED? Not trying to be greedy, but hoping the 1200 really kicks them into overdrive

There auto flowers right? They should be showing sex soon. I would slowly introduce the 1200. Keep lots of distance on then to start. And arnt you running 24 hours a day? Optimal light is 18/6 for autos.

megadude

switched it up to 18/6 a few days ago. forgot to mention it!
It's also been warmer here, so tent temps have been a little higher. 79-81 They seem to like it? Have the light going off during the day time when its hottest in the apartment to keep it from getting too hot in there..