What's new

Finish drying my bud in the freezer in my kitchen?!?

quick question.
i have buds curing in the freezer for 3 weeks now. i don't know if i should just let them sit there for the coming months or should i move them to mason jar with a 62% humidity pack? should i move it to a jar and keep the jar in the freezer or in the refrigerator?

this is my second time curing like this - nothing but amazing results!!!

L

larry badiner

day 2 of jarring and the hay smell went away... buds are damp but burns to a white ash, potency went up too, been smoking the cured buds all day, sure as hell beats the bubba kush I've been smoking

the jar with the deep chunk x cheese smells great and the high is abit above average..

L

larry badiner

after 3 days in the jar and about 2 days in a plastic ziplock bag the deep chunk x cheese plant looks and smells great.. still a hint of hay in the smell though

DeceiverZ

Veteran
Wow, AWESOME info here from everyone so thank you all for your contributions. Thank you jus'plain'gill for hand holding the users in this thread throughout the years. That's very cool of you to do.

I've read through this entire thread twice now just in case I missed anything. But I have a question for those who've had more experience..

IF we are trying to use sublimation to our advantage, couldn't I;
  1. 1. Dry buds on screen or by hanging for 4-7 days until outside is crispy yet stem still bends.
  2. 2. Place buds inside mason jar
  3. 3. Vacuum seal the Mason jar shut + in freezer for 24 hrs undisturbed
  4. 4. Remove the vacuum sealed lid while keeping mason jars in freezer for 24hrs undisturbed
  5. 5 Repeat steps 3 and 4 until cure is completed

I'm not 100% sure this would work but it if does, then this would appear optimal, since you are essentially burping the jars while increasing the rate of sublimation due to the increased vacuum conditions inside the freezer. Air is also constantly exchanged inside the jars every 24hrs when the lid is removed, then another vacuum and 24hrs in the freezer undisturbed.

I noticed people were slow curing their buds inside paper bags (or shoe boxes) while still taking advantage of sublimation for their cures. This in turn got me thinking about using a vacuum to lower the boiling temperature of water so that perhaps the process of sublimation could occur at a faster rate.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

woolybear

Veteran
I officially endorse this technique!

I was able to get more loudness out of a variety that was stinky in flower but almost smell-less when cured.

What I like is that you get more control versus the other methods in that the curing happens in slow motion during the freeze giving you more leeway.

After almost three weeks in the freezer my rock star kush was ready, versus my skunk variety which was done for about a week in the freezer. This was because I dried the kush 1-2 days less that the latter on hangers.

I'm also storing my bud in the freezer now. TY icmag and OP

krly

Is this how ya do it ?

Is this how ya do it ?

First...THANKS !! Gil for posting this (...and all the other contributors).
I just read the entire thread and I believe this is the consensus (please confirm) :
1. Chop down, trim fan leaves then hang in dark /dry for 5-7 days.
2. Place into bags or boxes with or without tops then into freezer (below 32F/0C) for 3+ weeks.
3. Remove from freezer and let air-dry 3-6 hours.
4. Store in air tight container. Burp 1-2 hours for first few days.

This is my first ever harvest and I just wanna make sure I get it right,
Thanks again........KRLY

ISM2

I just read the entire thread and I believe this is the consensus (please confirm) :
2. Place into bags or boxes with or without tops then into freezer (below 32F/0C) for 3+ weeks.

Thanks again........KRLY

Also, at what RH are they when put into the freezer? I saw a mention of 60%.

jus'plain'gill

Thanks again........KRLY

Good on you for reading the whole thread!

1. Yes, mostly. Your 5-7 day time frame is a rough estimate, all dependent on your specific conditions.
2. Yes, mostly. Again, your time frame of 3 weeks is a rough estimate. Could be ready in 2 weeks or a month.
3. Yes, ish. Air dry your buds until they are at your preferred moisture content. I use a hygrometer to get them around 58-60%. That may take 3-6 hours but could be less or more. Use a hygrometer and large airtight container to determine your buds moisture content.
4. This shouldn't be necessary once you have your buds at the optimal moisture content. You'll need to monitor the moisture level closely until it has stabilized, usually within a few burps of the jar for me.

Good luck with your first harvest. Seeing as how you are being thoughtful and proactive with your approach to curing, I am confident it will work out well for you. Good luck and take care,

.JPG

Twitch6123

First post, first grow and I decided to use this as my cure method, not having patience and time to burp jars on the reg. strains I'm running with are Blue Dream, LA Kush, Vanilla Kush and Red Dragon Og.

So I harvested, washed all buds in a light mix of h2o2/water, baking soda/lemon juice, warm water, cool water.

Hung to dry for 2-3 days, h2o2 tends to dry out buds faster I've heard.

Manicured and trimmed, then put into cardboard boxes lined w/newspaper. They went in on 5/15 and will get pulled when I return from vacation on 6/17. Plan to air out for 6+hrs or so then put into jars to get the smell I'm looking for. My fridge is used on the daily, temperatures hover around 20-25F don't humidity matters but it's always high like 60-70s....

Buds look great haven't noticed a damn thing change in the two weeks or so they've been in there. While I want to sample them I'm holding out until they have sat for a few days in the jars.

I do have questions about then storing these jars back in the freezer for medium/long-term storage, any feedback on how best to address this or is storing in a dark cabinet a better option...?
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 17

Twitch6123

Let me clarify my dry method, after the wash, hung to dry for 24hours in bathroom with light and exhaust fan on. Then moved into my tent and hung to dry in dark conditions for 3 days then I trimmed and manicured the buds for curing in the freezer. Whew that woulda been a shitty dry if in fact I did what I said earlier.

S

sourpuss

What r u washing off? Just curious... baking soda add weight? Try baby sugar.... just jokin its more of a coke trick....

Twitch6123

Had a minor case of PM therefore the h2o2 helped with that. Baking soda doesn't add any weight, nor could I properly explain how it works with the acidity of Lemon juice to do its thing. Another topic for another day. Back to curing!

woolybear

Veteran
ok so i run this method now. got much better smells on my flowers.

question though: is the thc still curing while its in deep freeze? Would the curing be slower than at room temp or the same?

woolybear

Veteran
Can confirm frozen bud looks the same as the day i put it in the freezer, while jarred room temp buds are yellow/brown.

L

larry badiner

anyone notice an increase in potency in freeze cured buds? i suck at jar curing but my jarred buds get me noticeably stoned, same kind of stone as the local stone and with this sativa ish deep chunk x cheese i get violently stoned after about 5 minutes

ilfirin

Figured my first post would be well-placed in this thread, been reading it for days. So basically I'll be putting the vast majority of my upcoming harvest (few more weeks) into the sub-zero zone aka the freezer. Got a frost free freezer that's just dying to get in on some action.

Thanks a ton to everyone who's contributed to this thread, I'll be sure to check back with updates once I'm on it!

ilfirin

Partly harvested! I have the buds somewhat trimmed drying. Should be ready for the freeze cure come this weekend.

ilfirin

Figured I might as well check back!
The results were nothing short of exceptional. Excellent taste and high, as well as delivering very smooth smoke. This is certainly my new go-to method for curing. Cheers!

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
did a couple units in the freezer over the summer. prob 8 varieties. all exceptional cure. the ones that finished the freezer cure and have been jarred for a month are some of the nicest cured buds I've ever had the pleasure of smoking.

there's a quality to the consistency that i love. you notice it when pulling buds apart to load the grinder. I don't know if meaty is the right word but it comes to mind.

Latest posts

Latest posts