What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Finish drying my bud in the freezer in my kitchen?!?

funnymath

My experience has been there is no smell at all coming from the freezer when it's closed or opened. There could be pounds of roadkill skunk in there and still zero smell. It also imparts no smell or taste on my foods. I'll try to find out exactly why this is the case but I know it has something to do with the temps at which different terpenes evaporate. Take care all.

.jpg

Well I was thinking of doing this in a few months when I do my first harvest, but my freezer is pretty small on top of being pretty full. With small amounts I was thinking of clearing some space but like I said I can't have guests able to find it when they (or I) open the freezer to get something. I'd also imagine there being a whiff with the front ice dispenser lol.

Sams has a nice 7.1 cubic foot chest freezer that I could easily put in the garage. Bonus aspect is it has a lock on it to keep any nosey guests out. It is a manual defrost though so I'd have to clean it somewhat often, but after highschool jobs it's a breeze to clean out just ice instead of all that gunk that actual food would help build up.

woolybear

Veteran
i'm trying this with my current harvest. will update thread with results.

curing always a pain in the butt so i look forward to this

2000pm

I can tell there is weed in there when opened but it doesn't reek in my situation. Definitely keeps everything sealed inside when shut.

I'm pulling out boxes that have been in for about two months now and they are hitting perfect ~61% on the caliber.

jus'plain'gill

I can tell there is weed in there when opened but it doesn't reek in my situation. Definitely keeps everything sealed inside when shut.

I'm pulling out boxes that have been in for about two months now and they are hitting perfect ~61% on the caliber.

PERFECT

.JPG

jump /injack

Veteran
My experience has been there is no smell at all coming from the freezer when it's closed or opened. There could be pounds of roadkill skunk in there and still zero smell. It also imparts no smell or taste on my foods. I'll try to find out exactly why this is the case but I know it has something to do with the temps at which different terpenes evaporate. Take care all..jpg[/quote

Don't you vacuum down the jar's when you put them in the freezer? Shouldn't be any smell if you do that. Just finished some Sweet Skunk and have it jarred in 1/2 gallon canning jar, humidity in the jar is about 60%, put it in the freezer and will burp it for the next several days. Will add an observation if any thing thing happens that I can ascertain.

jus'plain'gill

Don't you vacuum down the jar's when you put them in the freezer? Shouldn't be any smell if you do that. Just finished some Sweet Skunk and have it jarred in 1/2 gallon canning jar, humidity in the jar is about 60%, put it in the freezer and will burp it for the next several days. Will add an observation if any thing thing happens that I can ascertain.

No, the buds are not in any kind of sealed container during the curing process. For me, I prefer using shoe boxes without the lids until the buds are cured, at which time they can be sealed up in jars. All the info is on the first page.

.JPG

L

larry badiner

i tried the freezer cure method, i used folded up brown shopping bags and a shoebox with a lid in a frost fridge

at day 15 the buds were way too wet, so i probably did something wrong. they smoke ok, but very wet.. they have great bag appeal however. little smell, tbh the deep chunk smells a little like piss.. it was probably the paper bag it was in

day 15 deep chunk x cheese
day 2 random haze
box of highland sunshine

will they be 100% dry on day 20?

L

larry badiner

i left a top cola out for about 10 minutes... after it defrosted it was very fluffy.. kind of like street bud but fresher i guess? it smells like wet marijuana, but i can taste the flavor.. nice psychedelic buzz from the highland sunshine

i guess this is what happens when you either cut too early or closing the lid/top of the bag while curing?

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
okay HUGE SUCCESS with my second attempt at the freezer cure.

i did a hang dry til outsides were crispy but stems did not yet snap. this is where i'd usually put them in paper bags for simon's method. i think for next time i'm gonna go a bit drier before taking them down from the initial hang dry.

i trimmed them down and put them on a cardboard tray (the lid from a banker's box). they were in the freezer for about a month.

during that time i was snyping lots of the smallest buds as "testers". after 30 days i took out all the buds from my least favorite plant cause i needed smoke. i made the mistake of putting them in a jar too soon and going to bed. when i woke up i had skunked them.

from now on i'll take the bud out of the freezer in the morning so i can spend at least 12 hours observing the moisture levels.

i found that i definitely needed to leave them out on the counter to come to room temp before attempting to seal them up. there's some kind of condensation action that can fuck shit up at that moment.

however with the rest of my nug i let it come to temp, then jarred it up and burped it a few times. next day it smells INCREDIBLE!!! one of the best cures i've achieved so far regardless of methods.

so in conclusion, FREEZER CURE IS AWESOME. hang the plants til pretty dry, throw them in the freezer for several weeks (no attention needed that whole time). spend 12 hours monitoring moisture and burping cans after they come out of the freezer. then enjoy finely cured nugs that smoke perfectly, smell insane, and have a perfect texture.

.JPG you have my deepest gratitude for sharing this method with us!

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
also to answer a question from a page back, IME there is almost no smell when i open the freezer. i only had maybe 4 zips in there so i can't speak to larger amounts.

i used my infrared thermometer on my freezer and it's at -14*F so i assume the terpenes are less volatile at that temp.

woolybear

Veteran
glad your result was excellent heady!

I have t strains in the freezer at the moment. Took one out at day 9 of frreeze, no ready yet. Looks great though!

I have some weed in a paper bag and another strain in an uncovered bowl. I'm also doing a regular cure to compare.

putting the buds in at 60% humidity

See you all in a couple of weeks hopefully!

L

larry badiner

i air dried my buds for about 24 hours after about 20 days in the freezer and now they're in jars.. only been about 5 hours and they smell like hay

jus'plain'gill

i air dried my buds for about 24 hours after about 20 days in the freezer and now they're in jars.. only been about 5 hours and they smell like hay

If you only dried your buds for 24 hours after harvest before putting them in the freezer, you didn't dry for near long enough. Depending on the current conditions, my buds dry for 6-10 days before going into the freezer.

You might go back and reread the first few pages of this thread, check out Simon's thread too. It looks to me like you have some really nice genetics, make sure you get the most out of them with a proper cure.

.JPG

L

larry badiner

If you only dried your buds for 24 hours after harvest before putting them in the freezer, you didn't dry for near long enough. Depending on the current conditions, my buds dry for 6-10 days before going into the freezer.

You might go back and reread the first few pages of this thread, check out Simon's thread too. It looks to me like you have some really nice genetics, make sure you get the most out of them with a proper cure.

.JPG

after harvest i hung air dried for 3 days, they were crisp but still wet and then they went into a chest freezer for 20 days.. after i took them out i dried again to defrost for about 24 hours then they went into jars..

i just smoked a hug and it burns but no flavor and the high is pretty weak.. will the flavor/smell/high get better with or without burping the jars?

jus'plain'gill

after harvest i hung air dried for 3 days, they were crisp but still wet and then they went into a chest freezer for 20 days.. after i took them out i dried again to defrost for about 24 hours then they went into jars..

i just smoked a hug and it burns but no flavor and the high is pretty weak.. will the flavor/smell/high get better with or without burping the jars?

Based on the info you've shared I still think your issue is at the beginning, when you're air drying. 3 days may be long enough in some growers' situations but in my experience (and others' experiences from what I've read), longer is better. You say your bud is "crisp but still wet"? My best guess is your buds aren't dried enough or they are unevenly dried going in to the freezer.

I would suggest giving your buds more time to dry (make sure they dry evenly) before using the freezer cure again. Good luck,

.JPG

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
larry that sucks sorry to hear.

i'm no expert in this method yet but i did find that when after 30 days my herb was still too wet (because i had put it in a bit too early) i was able to leave the rest in the freezer for another 10--15 days and it kept drying.

so i hope if i hang dry until they're a bit crisper, i can do 30 days in the freezer for a perfect cure, but if you put them in a little early you may just need 45 or 60 days in the freezer to compensate.

also for folks new to the method it is a good idea to take out small samples over a period of time to see how to do that last 12-24 hours between freezer and jar perfectly without fucking up a whole crop---at least until you get the method perfected.