What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's indoor jungle

Fiddynut

happening brother!
there is a place called slab city here in ca that is popular with the snow brids
just a place out in the desert for the rvs and free spirits
sounds like you have your packing plan, ive heard of spotted cow but i guess you can only get it in wisco
like you said you have the important stuff packed so just throw a few clothes in a bag and you are all set
i was just curious about what records you got, i love music and used to have a pretty eclectic collection
hope you have a safe and fun drive down south
savor every minute and enjoy each bite my man!
talk to you when you get abck friend!

Good afternoon pop_rocks.
I saw a show a couple years ago on that slab city place in the desert. It looks cool and defenatly some free spirits out there. And unfortunately a bunch of meth heads too from what I saw. Maybe they have cleaned it up a bit but I guess you can have that anywhere these days. Looked like they throw some crazy party's there too. My bro in law use to tell me about the camping way out in the desert that they would do in the 80's and 90's and it sounded like anything went. They would make bombs and bring guns and blow the hell out of shit...while tripping. I've only fired a gun one while tripping and the noise was so intense that it left an impression on me to this day. For the record I want to say that it's probably not a good idea to mix psychedelics and firearms.
Yep spotted cow is only sold in wisco. It's the shit and I'm not even a big beer guy anymore. I will have a bunch in the cooler on the way down so that as soon as we get there I can crock one open and start the vacation. I got some cloths and stuff packed last night and the car cleaned out and ready to roll this morning so we should be on the road Ina few hours.
There are some other cool albums in the ones we got but I'll have to wait till after we get back to make a list and post tham. I'll get some pics of some of the art as well and make a post when we get back next week.
I am stoked to be getting a vacation and I'll be sure to have fun and eat plenty of local specialties.
You have a great week and weekend and I'll get some pics of the festivities down there and post them up when I get a chance.

Fiddynut

I heard about a bar in Minnesota, that got shutdown for serving smuggled spotted cow.

Good afternoon Packerfan.
Not sure if anyone got shut down but it's defenatly a true story that places just over the MN and IL border have gotten in trouble for selling it on their side of the border. No joke it's that good!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
that would be rad if you could share some pics of your vaca brother!
im living vicariously through you and your adventures!
yeah the desert is fun, i used to love going out in the truck
i love to shoot guns and had a decent collection back in the day
its not for everyone and you are right a gun isnt something to play with
im sure the slab city has more than its share of dirt bags and junkies
even here in san diego, we have a terrible homeless/ transient population
i love the album cover art; this was the days before music videos in a loty of cases and the album visuals were part of the experience
/remembers a young pop rock freaking out to a pink floydd album cover way back in the day
that would be rad if you could post up some of that too
you drive safely my man and have a great time

Fiddynut

I'm back!

I'm back!

Greetings friends.

Well I'm back home, at work actually,safe and sound after a great trip down south. We logged about 2500 miles during our trip and we had a blast. We had great weather for the drive down and back home. It was warm and humid for the first few days, then the front that brought all those tornados came through and Monday and Tuesday were much cooler. We went to about 15 parades in Mobile and got buckets of beads, stuffed animals, and moon pies and other treats. Last year was our first Mardi Gras so we were just learning the ways of things while this year we kind of knew what to expect and were able to let loose a lot more. We drank all day every day and ate some of the best food I've ever had. When I get organized I'll get some pics up of the festivities.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
welcome back my man!
glad to hear you had a fun time down south
thats great that you knew the ropes this year and really got to enjoy the mardi gras festivities
did you have a chance to sample any of the local green? whats the weed scene like down there?
man, i love those moon pies and we can still get them here locally
ever micorwave one for like 10seconds? they are bomb
how did eggo like the car ride?
cant wait to see the pics and just hear more about your time away
its been a wet start to the year for us but that means its going to be a nice green spring
one more dy to go and then its the weekend
hope your getting settled in

Fiddynut

welcome back my man!
glad to hear you had a fun time down south
thats great that you knew the ropes this year and really got to enjoy the mardi gras festivities
did you have a chance to sample any of the local green? whats the weed scene like down there?
man, i love those moon pies and we can still get them here locally
ever micorwave one for like 10seconds? they are bomb
how did eggo like the car ride?
cant wait to see the pics and just hear more about your time away
its been a wet start to the year for us but that means its going to be a nice green spring
one more dy to go and then its the weekend
hope your getting settled in

It's nice to be back around here on the mag but as far as being back to the cold weather and work I'd rather still be in the south brother. We did have a lot of fun times and can't wait to do it again next year. We have allready decided that we are going to get a hotel downtown next year as we want to be close to the parades and not have to drive so much. I was at least buzzed and drinking the whole time so driving not a good idea. And it seemed like we were always downtown meeting people anyway so might as well stay there. The other place we spent time was one of the wife's cousins house and he is walking distance to downtown too.
We didn't smoke anyone's weed down there but everyone loved the buds I brought and I puffed everyone down that was willing. I have a feeling that the weed screen down there is worse than it is here, it's a smaller market and even more conservative.
The food was really incredible and I'm glad I let myself indulge this year. The wife's cousins lady is a Cajun and she can cook it up. She stays home and cooks while the rest of the family enjoy the parades. Her red beans and rice are incredible, as is her fried chicken. She gave me some tips on making authentic southern and Cajun food and I'll be pitting them to use soon. I brought back a cooler full of a local sausage they use for beans and rice and gumbo. I also went to a BBQ place called dreamland and it was bomb. They have this vinegar based sauce that is so good, I bought 2 quarts of it home with me. I had never seen or heard of a moon pie before last year and I'm really surprised at how popular they are down there. The tallest building in the city has a big lit up moon pie that comes all the way down the side of it during the parades and at other celebrations too.
Eggo really impressed us with how well he behaved on the trip. He was great in the car both ways. He was really good with the other dogs and in the wife's sisters house. He really enjoyed having a fenced in year that he could go out for hours and run around and we could play ball. The only small issue was that he got into a bag of grits and made a little mess but other than that one thing he was great. We even put some beads on him and got some picks.
I have to do some uploading but I will share some pics soon brother. Now back to work for me. I hope your week was great and we have a nice weekend to look forward to.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
oh man, i bet the food was off the hook!
the local sausages must be awesome and im sure they bring a lot of flavor to the dishes
i love southern cooking and bet it was a real treat
so what were some of the tips re: fried chicken or the beans and rice?
that is great that they had a fenced in yeard and eggo got to run around and have fun too
that is a great plan for next year and im sure it will be a whole nother level of fun being so close to the action
i never thought about it but i bet you are right about the weed scene down there
im sure if you were hooked up with the local scene and knew someone who grew it wouldent be that bad but for the most part the smoke is typical mersh'
im sure they liked your bud and enjoyed the fun
hope you are settling back in at home my man!
cant wait to see some pics if you get around to it and hope you have a great weeeknd

Rodehazrd

Glad you made it back safe. I bet they speak of the cousin weed for a while down there. Ala. is a unique place. I have folk there very pure non drinking deeply pious bigots if I tell the truth. Glad your clan is more modern. I hadn't thought of Mobile as a Mardi Gras town but I suspect it's much safer than NOLA. Did you stop at the rocket rest area on the way down?
Vinegar sauce is the only way to go I am glad you found some proper BBQ. Like they say if you got to put sugar on the meat you should have gotten better meat.
I took some cheap phone pix of the LBLxskunk X Goji I popped 20 seeds 18 grew well and I culled the two weakest ones when they went into the flower room. I got all females I put this first pix in at about 14" I had 3 like her with those mostly narrow leaves. I think 10 more days and she will be done. That puts her at 65 days. I plan to save her clones as I just like the way she looks and can imagine a SOG with her. Most of the other girls are wider leaf and more bush like.
I'm on them close looking for Herman but so far so good.
I had a new batch of mites on some of the Bangi in flower but they didn't seem to move over on to the crosses. Bangi attracts them for some reason. It may be because I have just never gotten the Bangi dialed in indoors. I did some neem and followed up with safers a couple days later and now I only find their eggs. I guess I'll be spraying that stuff as long as I run the Bangi. A friend on the Bangi site uses a mix of a bag each of HF and OF and has none of the issues I do. That may have to be my indoor bangi mix. I really love the cut I have she grew so well outdoors but indoors for me not so much.

Attachments

• IMG_2646.jpg
    IMG_2646.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2648.jpg
    IMG_2648.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 5

Fiddynut

oh man, i bet the food was off the hook!
the local sausages must be awesome and im sure they bring a lot of flavor to the dishes
i love southern cooking and bet it was a real treat
so what were some of the tips re: fried chicken or the beans and rice?
that is great that they had a fenced in yeard and eggo got to run around and have fun too
that is a great plan for next year and im sure it will be a whole nother level of fun being so close to the action
i never thought about it but i bet you are right about the weed scene down there
im sure if you were hooked up with the local school ene and knew someone who grew it wouldent be that bad but for the most part the smoke is typical mersh'
im sure they liked your bud and enjoyed the fun
hope you are settling back in at home my man!
cant wait to see some pics if you get around to it and hope you have a great weeeknd
The food was great and I've already made a some while the flavor profile was fresh in my memory. I made BBQ ribs on Saturday, I used my normal rub and methods but I didn't add the grape jelly when I wrapped them at the 2 hour mark, then I used the sauce I broght home. They turned out really good and I like the way the new sauce compliments the meat. On Sunday I made chicken and sausage gumbo and it was really good as well. Some of the things I learned down south was to get the roux really dark for gumbo as that adds a lot of flavor and complexity to the dish. For fried chicken I was told to really flavor up the buttermilk and soak at least 12 hours, preferably more then season the flour well too. Her red beans were really a lot thicker than ones I've had before and she told me that you have to cook them longer, they were similar to refried beans in texture.
For sure the weed scene needs some improvement down there and I'm hoping that the wife's sister can get back to growing so that the family can have good access. Her and the nephews grew for years in Oakland before moving to bama. One of the nephews said that the fattest part of Fat Tuesday was the buds I brought which mad me feel good.
I hope you had a good weekend brother. I'm still working on getting pics uploaded and I have to do a jungle update too, hang in there.

Fiddynut

Glad you made it back safe. I bet they speak of the cousin weed for a while down there. Ala. is a unique place. I have folk there very pure non drinking deeply pious bigots if I tell the truth. Glad your clan is more modern. I hadn't thought of Mobile as a Mardi Gras town but I suspect it's much safer than NOLA. Did you stop at the rocket rest area on the way down?
Vinegar sauce is the only way to go I am glad you found some proper BBQ. Like they say if you got to put sugar on the meat you should have gotten better meat.
I took some cheap phone pix of the LBLxskunk X Goji I popped 20 seeds 18 grew well and I culled the two weakest ones when they went into the flower room. I got all females I put this first pix in at about 14" I had 3 like her with those mostly narrow leaves. I think 10 more days and she will be done. That puts her at 65 days. I plan to save her clones as I just like the way she looks and can imagine a SOG with her. Most of the other girls are wider leaf and more bush like.
I'm on them close looking for Herman but so far so good.
I had a new batch of mites on some of the Bangi in flower but they didn't seem to move over on to the crosses. Bangi attracts them for some reason. It may be because I have just never gotten the Bangi dialed in indoors. I did some neem and followed up with safers a couple days later and now I only find their eggs. I guess I'll be spraying that stuff as long as I run the Bangi. A friend on the Bangi site uses a mix of a bag each of HF and OF and has none of the issues I do. That may have to be my indoor bangi mix. I really love the cut I have she grew so well outdoors but indoors for me not so much.

Good afternoon Rodehazrd.
For sure they liked the buds. I left them with plenty to last a bit so they can enjoy them. You are so right that it's very diffrent down there than around here. There are plenty of very religious types, many more than here. But there are so many nice friendly types as well. I'm glad the wife's fam is modern too, and a lot of fun as well.
So Mardi Gras actually started in Mobile in 1703, way before there was a NOLO. Back then Mobile was the capital of the French colony. Mobile was also the first place to bring Mardi Gras back a couple years after the civil war. New Orleans gets all the publicity but Mobile is where it's at. From what I hear NO is kind of a shithole and the parades are a shit show, Mobile is much more of a family friendly Mardi Gras with lots of kids at the parades and no one takes their clothes off (not that I'd mind if they did) but it's nothing like you see in the movies in NOLO.
Your right about this BBQ sauce man, I've never had anything like it. I try to seek out sauces that arnt sweet but I don't think they exist up here. Even the spicy ones are full of corn syrup. I'm going to start making my own sauce using the sauce I brought back as a template.
It looks like you have a real jungle on your hands by the looks of your pics. They look great to me. Sorry you have the mites, but it sounds like you've got them under control. 50/50 HF/OF works pretty good inside, just get on those gnats early and often.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
making your own sauce is next level griling, fiddy
i tried it a couple times but always went back to the old favorites or whatever was on hand
/not a big sauce fan
buttermilk really adds a lot to fried chicken,imparting a nice flavor and makes the meat really tender
/greek yogurt does something simular
that gumbo sounds delsih my man! im going to have to make something like that one of these weekends
great idea letting the roux develope and get really dark too
hope you guys are all settled in at home
this time change sucks but it also means spring is just around the corner
hope you had a great start to your week brother!

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I still do check in here, but ya'll just too fast for me :D So much going on! Home made bbq sauce is the best, he's right the store bought all have HFC in them now! It's everywhere! At this point I expect somebody to make a really nice marijuana tincture/cartridge loaded with HFC. Hope everybody is well and keep up the growing!

Fiddynut

making your own sauce is next level griling, fiddy
i tried it a couple times but always went back to the old favorites or whatever was on hand
/not a big sauce fan
buttermilk really adds a lot to fried chicken,imparting a nice flavor and makes the meat really tender
/greek yogurt does something simular
that gumbo sounds delsih my man! im going to have to make something like that one of these weekends
great idea letting the roux develope and get really dark too
hope you guys are all settled in at home
this time change sucks but it also means spring is just around the corner
hope you had a great start to your week brother!

I've not attempted making sauce so it will be new for me. The beauty of this sauce is that it is thin and dosent cover up the meat at all. It adds a little spice and brightens up the food with the acid. I can't wait to try it on some grilled chicken. Yep buttermilk is the best for fried chicken, or even making those shoestring onion strings. I think I pave read that the acids and enzymes do a lot of tenderizing and it's thick and a really good adhesive for the flour or bread crumbs. I've never tried the yogurt but I can see how it would do the same. They take their gumbo and the roux pretty seriously down there. Getting the roux right takes a lot of time and you have to keep wisking if doing it on the stovetop like I've done. I have heard that you can make roux in the oven at 350 and just stir every 15 minutes but haven't tried that. If using butter it's even easer to burn it. The other thing they told me was never add tomatoes to gumbo like some recipes state.
We're getting settled but the wife is sick with a cold that she probably picked up down south. I'm sure there are diffrent viruses down there that our immune systems arnt primed for. I've been busy in the garden since getting back. I lollipoped the LBL crosses this morning and started soaking seeds for a future run.
I know neither of us are a fan of changing the clocks but it's nice to have the sun still out when I leave work. Now I have to slowly turn back the timer on my flower tent. And I'm about as ready as I've ever been for spring brother.

Fiddynut

I still do check in here, but ya'll just too fast for me :D So much going on! Home made bbq sauce is the best, he's right the store bought all have HFC in them now! It's everywhere! At this point I expect somebody to make a really nice marijuana tincture/cartridge loaded with HFC. Hope everybody is well and keep up the growing!
Good afternoon AP.
It's good to hear from you! You are right that stuff is in everything. I hope all is well with you and your garden is happy and healthy.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i bet you are ready for spring time
have you wiped down the bike and oiled her up yet?
and im sure eggo is going to enjoy all the adventures the two of you will have once the weather turns nice
the sauce recipe i tried used ketchup but there are a few different bases you can use
a freind also has a recipie that uses mustard to start with
what are the basics of the sauce if you can share them?
way to go in the garden!
i am sure they will remember your buds down south
it would be nice if your relatives could set up a small grow of their own but thats a tough choice for some people
/especially when you live in a non pot friendly place

happening boosh!
glad to see you stop in and hope your doing good my man
how are things going in your garden? has spring begun in your area?
dont worry about keeping up with things brother
just stop in and let us know how you are doing when ever you can

Rodehazrd

Hey there guys
I have to chime in on the sauce being a Tar Heel I've had many versions and none were bad. Basic sauce is a cup of apple cider vinegar. Throw in a big spoon full of brown sugar, some Texas Pete red pepper sauce and a little ketchup. From there its personal taste whether you add more peppers or whatever you like to make it special and your own. If you add some more ketchup it makes a good red slaw base too. Can't have BBQ without slaw and a hushpuppy, :tiphat::tiphat:

Fiddynut

i bet you are ready for spring time
have you wiped down the bike and oiled her up yet?
and im sure eggo is going to enjoy all the adventures the two of you will have once the weather turns nice
the sauce recipe i tried used ketchup but there are a few different bases you can use
a freind also has a recipie that uses mustard to start with
what are the basics of the sauce if you can share them?
way to go in the garden!
i am sure they will remember your buds down south
it would be nice if your relatives could set up a small grow of their own but thats a tough choice for some people
/especially when you live in a non pot friendly place

happening boosh!
glad to see you stop in and hope your doing good my man
how are things going in your garden? has spring begun in your area?
dont worry about keeping up with things brother
just stop in and let us know how you are doing when ever you can

I am super ready for spring. It has been a long winter in these parts and much snowier than average the last couple months. It rained a bunch last night and we are supposed to have warm and rain for the next couple days too. There is a lot of snow to melt and no where for the water to go because the ground is still frozen. My basement is taking in water and it looks like it will just get wors for the foreseeable future. The only up side is that once the snow melts the ground can thaw and start to dry out.
I am so looking forward to getting back on the bike and the disc golf course too. I only played disc once while we were in Alabama but it felt great to let it fly. If it stays dry for a while after these rains maybe it will dry out over the next few weeks. The bike is ready to go but I think I'm going to take it to the place I got it from and have them go over it and make sure I'm good to go for the season. Spring is on the way, I even watched a Brewers spring training game last weekend and opening day is just a couple weeks away!
The ketchup based sauces are very popular here but I've been to lazy to try making one. The one I got in Alabama is a lot more like the one that 'Rode posted with vinegar being the primary ingredient. It's sour and you use very little on the meat. I never had a good mustard based sauce untill recently. My bros wife works with someone from South Carolina who makes their own sauce and I got a jar of it around Christmas. It's good but still a little sweet, but you can thin it with some vinegar to balance it.
I really need to do an update there is a lot going on in the jungle. I'll try to get that done this weekend.
I'm sure that the fam down south would get growing if they had a basement but since they don't it's tough to find a place. They have a big yard but the insect pressure there is hell. If they want it bad enough they will make it happen.
Do you have any plans for the weekend brother? Here st.pattys day is a huge drinking Holliday and the bars open at 6am. Corn beef, cabbage and beer for breakfast anyone?

Fiddynut

Hey there guys
I have to chime in on the sauce being a Tar Heel I've had many versions and none were bad. Basic sauce is a cup of apple cider vinegar. Throw in a big spoon full of brown sugar, some Texas Pete red pepper sauce and a little ketchup. From there its personal taste whether you add more peppers or whatever you like to make it special and your own. If you add some more ketchup it makes a good red slaw base too. Can't have BBQ without slaw and a hushpuppy, :tiphat::tiphat:

Im glad you did chime in brother. Thanks for sharing this should be a great place to start exploring thin sauces and I'm really looking forward to trying it. And the idea to use it a slaw base is great too. Sometimes a creamy slaw is ok but I really like the sour red slaw too.
Is a hushpuppy a fried cornbread nugget?

Rodehazrd

Im glad you did chime in brother. Thanks for sharing this should be a great place to start exploring thin sauces and I'm really looking forward to trying it. And the idea to use it a slaw base is great too. Sometimes a creamy slaw is ok but I really like the sour red slaw too.
Is a hushpuppy a fried cornbread nugget?

The hushpuppy is indeed a fried cornbread ball. You make it a little sweet for cornbread and scoop it into the hot grease with an small ice creme scoop. Dare not make one bigger than a golf ball as it ruins the crispy to bread ratio and won't get done properly in the middle if you make big ones.
I got this story from a tour guide in Charleston
When the help brought the food from the outdoor kitchen to the big house, to insure they didn't eat any of massa's food they were required to whistle all the way. This brought a barking event from the hungry hound dogs around. So the cook would make little cornbread bits to be thrown to the dogs to keep them hushed while the servants came in with the food. Of course all of them didn't make it to the dogs and the hushpuppy was born.:smoke:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
brilliant idea about adding a little more ketchup to make a good slaw sauce!
im going to try that here soon brother
can you get us going on a good red slaw recipe?
yeah fiddy hushpuppies are like fried bread nuggets
the ones we used to make had corn in them too but i am sure there are a few recpies
/ive had them both savory and sweet style
hopefully rhode' will drop some more knowledge when he gets a chance
we have had a wet and cold winter here in socal too fiddy
it seems like its been raining on and off for the past couple months,which is a lot for us
the storms haven been that strong this year,
but they have been consistent which is actually good
/too much rain at once cause a lot of flooding and runoff issues
taking the bike back to the shop you got it from is a great idea
let them tune things up and give her a once over, plus its helps get you established as a regular customer
/good shops offer great service to everyone, but they really take care of their regulars
oh, be sure to bring the bike in clean(this is important) , at least give it a good wipe down and knock off all the mud if any
just go in and share the stoke with the wrenches and im sure they will take good care of you
we dont really have any special st patty day plans for this year
my mom has family friends coming in for the weekend so we might be spending sunday with them
/its still not too late to get a corned beef now that you mention it
other than that i was thinking of grilling up a steak or something like that and of course you know pops gone drank'
how about you man? got any plans
if nothing else its a great excuse for some day drinking

Latest posts

Latest posts