What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's indoor jungle

Fiddynut

Good afternoon friends.

I finally caught up on sleep and was feeling great this morning and got a 10 mile mountain bike ride in. It's been like 10 days since I got to ride and it felt great. After a busy day at work I'm going to take my wife to dinner for our 10th anniversary. Can't believe it's been 10 years allready.
I need to find a way to get her to go out and have more fun. She seems to be getting kind of depressed and she needs like a jump start or something. She didn't go to Boulder with us and she had a ticket for the Saturday show at alpine but decided she would sleep in and meet us ther. She called when she was on her way but said her phone was about to die. I told her where we were but she couldn't find us and couldn't call me that night. Poor girl needs some fun in her life. When she is not having a good time she isn't always much fun to be around and that makes it hard for me to enjoy myself. I'm taking her to dinner at a place we use to go when we were younger and I hope we can feel a bit younger and that can start us having a good time.

@Rodehazrd. I'd love to grow some shrooms! I've done a little research and I've got a buddy at work that has grown them. He wants to grow weed but dosent have the space so he thought he could grow shrooms and trade for bud, but he found it tough to find people to trade with regularly. I'll have a look around for some spores. Let us know if you find anything good!

@pop_rocks. Your right brother these guys have been racing mtb for many years and the lifestyle out there with all the commuting on bikes means they ride a lot. I feel like if I keep stepping up the workouts and ride more I'll get closer to them someday. I'm only mid 40's so I've got some good years left in me. I'm going to hit it hard the rest of the summer and see where I end up. I didn't get to see his race bike because it was in the shop but I'm sure it's bad ass carbon xc race bike. We are going out there for a bike riding trip this fall if I can fit it in before my hernia surgery.

@Packerfan. That's a great score pack'. Pineapple hashplant sounds killer and the dos-I-do as well. Keep us posted on what you find there. Have a great time camping and I hope the weather is good for your trip.

Rodehazrd

Hey Rodehazard, I will have to look into those fishbites. We are mainly fishing for trout, bluegill, large and small mouth bass. I am looking for trout manly, I do love me some stripped bass, good eating. I used to hit up the aquaduct, they have some massive stripper and Cat fish. I am not much for eating catfish, kinda taste like the lake. It's ok fried but that's it.

Yeah PF79 you gotta get those catfish small or they get mushy.

Give me a good cutthroat any day, or bluegill if you have the patience to filet them. Its fun to catch big ones but for panfish give me the small ones. I used a trout bait in yellowstone looked like playdoh came in a jar and had mixed in glitter. Cutthroat ate it up in the lakes. Hope you have fun:tiphat:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
we used to fish for the cats with chicken livers
leave them in the bed of the truck and you are going to hook up, the worse they smell the better they seem to work
that sounds cool about the infused cloth to use as bait, less hassle and easy to keep around
i like they come in different colors too, its like salt water fish will hit anything if it is moving just right or has a certain color
what a score p'fan; that sounds like a great cross and im sure you are going to find a keeper or three in the bunch
man, now ive got the hungries for a nice fungus snack!
you are right fiddy, the key is to just keep at it
riding regularly is the key to getting better
of course you can actively train and there are ways of getting the most out of your rides, but just being in the saddle and turning those gears is going to get you there
im sorry to hear the mrs might be in a funk, a fun dinner is a good place to start in helping her mood
what were some of the things she used to enjoy? what does she like to do now
i know the mrs loves being active so its good we can go on our walks
if you can find something she enjoys doing get in on it and help her rekindle he passions
even if you just park an extra block away and walk to the restaurant maybe a nice walk will be fun, if you do be sure to hold her hand :)
/this always make the mrs smile and she laughs when i hold her hand when we cross the street

one more day to go buys and then its the weekend, lets finish this week off strong!

Fiddynut

we used to fish for the cats with chicken livers
leave them in the bed of the truck and you are going to hook up, the worse they smell the better they seem to work
that sounds cool about the infused cloth to use as bait, less hassle and easy to keep around
i like they come in different colors too, its like salt water fish will hit anything if it is moving just right or has a certain color
what a score p'fan; that sounds like a great cross and im sure you are going to find a keeper or three in the bunch
man, now ive got the hungries for a nice fungus snack!
you are right fiddy, the key is to just keep at it
riding regularly is the key to getting better
of course you can actively train and there are ways of getting the most out of your rides, but just being in the saddle and turning those gears is going to get you there
im sorry to hear the mrs might be in a funk, a fun dinner is a good place to start in helping her mood
what were some of the things she used to enjoy? what does she like to do now
i know the mrs loves being active so its good we can go on our walks
if you can find something she enjoys doing get in on it and help her rekindle he passions
even if you just park an extra block away and walk to the restaurant maybe a nice walk will be fun, if you do be sure to hold her hand :)
/this always make the mrs smile and she laughs when i hold her hand when we cross the street

one more day to go buys and then its the weekend, lets finish this week off strong!

Good afternoon pop_rocks.

Yes for sure keeping at it is key. I've got the rest of my life to get stronger and faster, it's not going to happen over night. I can see the progress every week and month as I put in the time and effort. The workouts get longer and the rides too. I just have to avoide getting lazy or hitting the wall and not breaking through. We got a lot of rain last night and more in the forecast this weekend so this might be a good time to take the bike in for its adjustments and hit the gym hard.
The wife and I had a nice time last night. We went out to a Mexican restaurant that we use to go to before we got married. The food was as good as always and she even had a couple margaritas. Since she usually dosent drink that was enough to give her a nice buzz and she enjoyed that. We talked about making an effort to go out and do more fun things together and she agreed that that would be nice for her. Like anything else, relationships take effort to keep going strong. We just have to keep working at it.
I wish my wife was more active so we could do more walking and hiking. I think she is afrade to do a lot of physical activity because it can trigger a pain episode for her. She gets this nerve pain in her face kind of like a headache but more in the jaw. The pain is very intense and it takes a lot out of her. Chronic pain like that can cause depression and other mental issues. Our schedules are so diffrent that it makes it hard to find time to do things together as well. That's where the effort part comes in.
As the song goes: we will get by (we will survive).....

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
that is great that you and the wife had a nice date night!
if she enjoys trying new places, maybe you can have a weekly/ monthly date night where you go out and enjoy yourselves
that sucks about the nerve pain, i live with chronic back pain and know what you mean about it effecting your mood
that is rad that you are making fitness a part of your lifestyle
bad weather is a great time to bring the bike in for an adjustment, did the shop offer a free tune up when you got the bike? (some will even offer lifetime free tune ups and most places are good about making a quick adjustment if you just drop in)
it sucks when you want to hit the trails but cant, thats when we will ride on paved paths or hit up some of the walking trails that drain well
another thing to think about is fall when it gets dark earlier, i dont know when you ride during the day but it might be a good idea to start looking intoa light for the bike
i have a few different ones so if you ever need advice i can tell you what works for me
keep it up brother!
you are doing a great job and kicking all kinds of ass
if you ever need some motivation, you kow we are all here for you brother

packerfan79

Veteran
What's up jungle mates,

Hope all is well. Had a fantastic camping trip. A couple hick ups. Got ready to leave and the battery in the truck was dead. Got a new battery in and on the road. My parents RV lost all 110v power. But we were able to make it work. My youngest caught his first fish, a little small mouth bass. The wife caught a little panfish. We saw a bald eagle at the lake, a bunch of blue jays. We had a blast sitting around the campfire and drinking cold beers. Weather was fantastic, 81 was the high for the weekend, lows at night were in the 50s.

Hope all you jungle mates had a great weekend.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
that sounds like a great trip, p'fan!
you must have been at elevation because here at sea level it was hot like hell this past weekend
sounds like you guys were hooking up at the fishing hole; congratulations to your youngest for catching his first fish
glad to hear you guys had a great time and got to enjoy some nature!

packerfan79

Veteran
that sounds like a great trip, p'fan!
you must have been at elevation because here at sea level it was hot like hell this past weekend
sounds like you guys were hooking up at the fishing hole; congratulations to your youngest for catching his first fish
glad to hear you guys had a great time and got to enjoy some nature!

It was awesome. It's amazing what a couple days in the mountains can do for the attitude. Yeah I think we were around 7000 ft. Above sea level. I Spent most of the day fixing poles and tying knots for my 28 year old brother. Lol, I watched him try for 30 minutes, before he asked me to tie his lure for him. The Campground is a new favorite, the host were totally chill. We had 2 spots 1 was used for parking, the other was our camp. They were back to back. On the second day the host asked us if we could squeeze my bros car into our site, so another family could use the other site. We got our money back for that night. My daughter had her first experience with a nasty bathroom at the lake, she was crying. She told every person we passed to avoid the bathroom. Lol.

Fiddynut

Good afternoon friends.

After all the action the last few weeks I needed a weekend to catch up on rest and projects around the house and this was the perfict weekend for that. I hope everyone had a nice weekend and your weeks are starting out well.

@pop_rocks. I was too lazy to take the bike in this weekend but I think I have 2 years of free minor adjustments from the date of purchase as part of the deal I got on the bike. My bros was in all last week getting adjustments after just a few rides on his new derailleur and shifters. Mine is still shifting well maybe just needs the steering head tightened up a bit. I just hate to be without it and I'd love to learn how to do all the adjustments myself do that I'm not dependent on a shop. That's funny you mention bike lights because our buddy in Colorado was just showing us how bright his light is and telling us about all the night riding they do as the days get shorter. It's dark by 4:30 pm here in the winter and dosent get light untill after 7 am so I'll need a light for any eirly morning or late afternoon riding. I'll probably need a full fat tire bike as well. Thank you for the kind words brother...Fiddy.

@packerfan. That's great that you guys had a nice trip. It sounds like a cool place you guys found. I bet your youngest was excited to catch his first fish. I hope your daughter wasn't too traumatized by the bathroom. That place sounds like a great place to beat the heat brother!

Fiddynut

Update and pics.

Just a quick update on the granola funk plants in flower. So far so good. They started stacking buds just before week 3 and are starting to put on a little weight. Luckily the streach ended just as I maxed my light height last week. It's just about time to take cuts for the next round and to pop seeds for 2 rounds from now. Here as a couple pics.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
glad you hear you had a relaxing weekend, fiddy
its crazy how fast the year is going by and its good to have some chill time
did you do any cooking? we just pulled down a ton of tomatoes from the yard so i made a big pot of sauce
i kept it simple, just a few different kinds of tomatoes,seasoning, garlic and herbs
its a really simple sauce but its super fresh tasting and easy to dr up
i made a big ball of dough today, but im kind of worn out from all the kneeding so im going to wait a bit before running it through the pasta machine
two years free tune ups sounds like a good deal, plus it gives you a chance to get to know the wrenches who work on your bike
im sure you could do most of the maintenance work yourself, i bet you have a pretty decent tool set already
"I'll probably need a full fat tire bike as well." thinking about getting another bike for night time?
night riding is the best!
the plants are looking very nice!
what are your temps like this summer?

Fiddynut

glad you hear you had a relaxing weekend, fiddy
its crazy how fast the year is going by and its good to have some chill time
did you do any cooking? we just pulled down a ton of tomatoes from the yard so i made a big pot of sauce
i kept it simple, just a few different kinds of tomatoes,seasoning, garlic and herbs
its a really simple sauce but its super fresh tasting and easy to dr up
i made a big ball of dough today, but im kind of worn out from all the kneeding so im going to wait a bit before running it through the pasta machine
two years free tune ups sounds like a good deal, plus it gives you a chance to get to know the wrenches who work on your bike
im sure you could do most of the maintenance work yourself, i bet you have a pretty decent tool set already
"I'll probably need a full fat tire bike as well." thinking about getting another bike for night time?
night riding is the best!
the plants are looking very nice!
what are your temps like this summer?

Yes for sure summer is flying by quicker than ever. Only about a month left here before we start getting those cooler nights and days. I have to get up to the cabin at least once for a long weekend.
I did a high temp (325) BBQ pork butt this weekend and it tourney out great. That sauce sounds great pop! We have such a short tomato season here that I've never made sauce with fresh fruit like that, I bet it's amazing. I like a simple sauce too, it's so nice to make something so good with so few simple ingredients. I haven't had my pasta maker out in way too long.
Yes the two years free maintenance is nice but I will have a lifetime of free maintenance when I learn to do it myself, plus I trust my work more than others. I have a lot of tools but there may be some specialty tools that I may need. being a mechanic I buy a lot of tools, it's fun. The fat tire bike would be for riding on the snow and ice and all the soft conditions we have here for the winter and spring.
This grow has gone well so far. The plants didn't mind my little vacation to Colorado or anything. Temps yesterday were about 75 lights out and 80 lights on which is about as hot as it ever gets for me in the jungle.
I hope your having a great week...Fiddy.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
those temps sound good! we had a few days where the grow got into the 80s but nothing too bad
im keeping the air circulating and running the lights at night so the flowers are not suffering that much, the plants in veg are loving it
yeah there are a few specialized tools needed for bikes but you probably have most of the gear right now and its good you are handy
some things i am willing to pay someone else to do but i bet i could do it myself if it came down to it
the tomatoes have been producing for the past couple months, but this past weeks pick was big; there was no way we would have eaten all the fruit before it went bad
plus tomatoes are super easy to can so it was a no brainer making a sauce
i will probably make another batch here in a few weeks
your summers season starts wrapping up in late august?
man, thats when the heat starts here in so cal, aug and sept are often the hottest months
october is the best tho, nice hot days and cool nights
im looking forward to the fall

Fiddynut

those temps sound good! we had a few days where the grow got into the 80s but nothing too bad
im keeping the air circulating and running the lights at night so the flowers are not suffering that much, the plants in veg are loving it
yeah there are a few specialized tools needed for bikes but you probably have most of the gear right now and its good you are handy
some things i am willing to pay someone else to do but i bet i could do it myself if it came down to it
the tomatoes have been producing for the past couple months, but this past weeks pick was big; there was no way we would have eaten all the fruit before it went bad
plus tomatoes are super easy to can so it was a no brainer making a sauce
i will probably make another batch here in a few weeks
your summers season starts wrapping up in late august?
man, thats when the heat starts here in so cal, aug and sept are often the hottest months
october is the best tho, nice hot days and cool nights
im looking forward to the fall

The best part of having a basement and growing down their is that it never gets too hot. Maybe if I had more wattage it would but I can run the 600 and both sets of t5's plus the dehuy and it never heats up too much. On the hot days when I run the AC I just open the door to the basement for a couple hours and let the cold air sink down and cool things off down there. It would be really easy to bring in cold air from outside in the winter but I've never needed to do so.
If I remember the wrenches that you use for the hardware by the cranks are somewhat specialized and much thinner than normal open ended wrenches. The rest of the hardware seems to be normal allin and torx bolts and set screws. My bros bike needed a new shift cable last week and now that he's got a couple rides on it the cable streached again and needs to go back in for adjustment. I'm glad my bike has been good but if I had to take it in every couple weeks I'd be very motivated to learn to do all my own adjustments. He crashes his bike and that is why he is having so many issues I think. I keep telling hit to take it easy, it would suck to break a leg and have to get evacuated form deep in the trails.
That's great about your tomatoes. I need to commit to a tomato garden next year for sure. Local grown tomatoes are one of my favorite things in life and the season is too short here. Speaking of the local sweet corn has been flowing for a couple weeks now and that is another delicacy.
Yep things usually cool off here once September hits. Don't get me wrong it can still get hot for a few days but the trend is cooler days and nights. Some of the best mtn biking will be in September and October here when it's cooler and the trees start changing. I remember October being the hottest month when we lived in the Bay Area. I'm kind of looking forward to fall too but not ready for summer to be over.

Fiddynut

Update and pics.

Update and pics.

Greetings friends.

This isn't really the right place for this but I want to update my little side project at my friends house. We have 5 granola funk plants from clone going in a clearing in a wooded area. I put them in the ground about 3 weeks ago and they are going strong. We had some anamals digging around the roots and put some deer and rabbit pellets down and that seems to be working well. Today I gave them their first light feeding. I'm using synthetic nutes here because I don't want to attract more anamals with the organics in the PBP I use indoors. Here are a few shots of them.

packerfan79

Veteran
Greetings friends.

This isn't really the right place for this but I want to update my little side project at my friends house. We have 5 granola funk plants from clone going in a clearing in a wooded area. I put them in the ground about 3 weeks ago and they are going strong. We had some anamals digging around the roots and put some deer and rabbit pellets down and that seems to be working well. Today I gave them their first light feeding. I'm using synthetic nutes here because I don't want to attract more anamals with the organics in the PBP I use indoors. Here are a few shots of them.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76275&pictureid=1871475&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76275&pictureid=1871474&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76275&pictureid=1871473&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76275&pictureid=1871472&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Hey fiddynuts, nice side project. I wanted to ask you how was the yield on the granola funk? Probably a good move to stick with the synthetic nutes, animals seem to love the weed as much as we do. Lol.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
the outdoor plants ares looking really nice brother!
i like the way nothing is really sticking out and the plants sort of blends into the environment around it
what is the metal structure in the pic?
do you have some kind of light dep or greenhouse in place?
its funny you are worried about straying OT in your own thread
dident we get the nod from one of mods about talking about a variety of growing techniques here? (instead of moving into the general growing threads or tokers lounge?)
we all bring different skills to the table and can learn from each other, but the overall vibe is still indoor oriented
this reminds me i need to get some pics of the girls at my friends house the next time i see him
if you do grow some tomatoes, find yourself a nice heirloom variety or something else out of the ordinary
during season red tomatoes are dirt cheap, but the fancy ones are always a bit pricey
one plant would be enough to keep you in fruit all summer long so even if its just a container plant on the patio i say go for it!
yeah there are a few special tools needed for bikes but otherwise its just simple adjustments
if you are interested, there is a great book called "zin and the art of mountain bike maintenance", that tells you everything you need to know from simple derailer adjustments to building up a bike from scratch
hope your week is wrapping up nicely and you are setting up for a nice weekend!

Fiddynut

Hey fiddynuts, nice side project. I wanted to ask you how was the yield on the granola funk? Probably a good move to stick with the synthetic nutes, animals seem to love the weed as much as we do. Lol.
Good afternoon Packerfan.

Yeild was good on red eye Jedi. I got about 2-1/2 to 3 zips off each of the 2 off the same mom and about 2 zips off the other one. As far as the granola funk we won't know untill about a month or so from now. They are stacking buds nicely for befining of week 5 but this is the first run with them. After this run I'll be doing another run with the clones of the 2 that I didn't have space for this run. So in about 90 or so days I'll have a good idea of how all 5 lady's will put out and hopefully have a winner. I have my eye on the 2 that are staying short for me but we will see which are best.

Fiddynut

the outdoor plants ares looking really nice brother!
i like the way nothing is really sticking out and the plants sort of blends into the environment around it
what is the metal structure in the pic?
do you have some kind of light dep or greenhouse in place?
its funny you are worried about straying OT in your own thread
dident we get the nod from one of mods about talking about a variety of growing techniques here? (instead of moving into the general growing threads or tokers lounge?)
we all bring different skills to the table and can learn from each other, but the overall vibe is still indoor oriented
this reminds me i need to get some pics of the girls at my friends house the next time i see him
if you do grow some tomatoes, find yourself a nice heirloom variety or something else out of the ordinary
during season red tomatoes are dirt cheap, but the fancy ones are always a bit pricey
one plant would be enough to keep you in fruit all summer long so even if its just a container plant on the patio i say go for it!
yeah there are a few special tools needed for bikes but otherwise its just simple adjustments
if you are interested, there is a great book called "zin and the art of mountain bike maintenance", that tells you everything you need to know from simple derailer adjustments to building up a bike from scratch
hope your week is wrapping up nicely and you are setting up for a nice weekend!

Your right it's really green in the spot we are growing and the plants don't stand out untill you get right up to them. They seem nice and happy and are holding off the insects well for now. The pelliets seem to be doing a good job of keeping the anamals from digging at the roots.
They are inside of an old tent like car port that dosent have the tarp over it anymore. It's in a clearing in a wooded area and gets a few hours of great sun a day. You are right that the structure is there for light deprivation but there isn't always a person to pull the tarp every night and remove it in the morning. Plus I'd think that it would be tough to get rid of all the light leaks in such a huge tent. If it was at my place I'd find a way to pull it off but it would be a commitment that would have me home working on it every day and that seems like too much work.
You are right I shouldn't worry too much about sticking with just indoor growing even though this is an indoor thread. It dosent sound like anyone is going to get upset if we stray into other types of grows. This outdoor is strictly for fun anyway, and meds for my friend who has cancer and gets a lot of benefits from them.
For sure I'd love to hear about the girls at your buddy's house and see some pics of them. I hope he is having better luck than he was a few weeks ago. Keep us posted!
I will defenatley do some heirloom tomatoes next year. I need to get them in the ground because in the past I've had issues with pots drying out while I was at work, even if I water them right before work they are too dry by the time I get home. Also I've had pots get blown over by the wind. I have a spot picked out and was going to run some this year but when I went to the garden store thay were sold out of tomatoe plants and it got too late in the season.
That is funny that you mention "zinc and the art of mountain bike maintenance" because I have the original edition of that book from the 90's. I built my first bike after reading it. I need to find it and reread it. I also want to find some YouTube vids because I think they do some things a little differently these days. Maybe I need a newer version of the book too, I have a birthday coming up in a few weeks and that would be a great present. I'll drop a hint of the wife.
I hope your week is finishing on a high note and you have a nice weekend on tap. I was going to hit the trails this morning but when I went out to put my bike in the truck I had a flat front tire. I have a tube but it's not the right size so I'm off to the bike store after work to get a couple of the proper tubes. I haven't changed a tube in a bike in a long time so it will be nice to get some practice. Hopefully I can do an ass kicking ride of Sunday.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
hope your weekend is off to a great start, f'nut
i visited my friend last night and the plans are all looking great, i iwll check my email here in a bit and see if he posted me the pics
he is really doing a great job and i am very hapy with how everything looked
one of the plants (bhodi) is even throwing early flower clusters, it looks like she is an early girl and i cant wait to see how its developes
we all had fun last night just chilling around his pad and one of our boys even stopped by for dinner
haahha, that is rad that you have the book, i dont know if the revised version i picked up a few years ago is any different than the one you have,it looked like a lot of the illustrations were kind of dated
but the mechanical information is still on point and bike are pretty simple machines, it really is a good guide
there are some good vids online too on mtb repair and mainenace, i am not on the computer that has my mtb links but i am sure you will find some good tutorials by searching youtube
if you find anything entertaining, good and (more importantly) easy to follow, post up the link
i hear you about hand tending a garden and how much commitment it takes
you have to be willing to put the plants schedule first because you cant miss a beat
/i can understand why it could be too much work for most people
dude, for some reason i could not sleep last night,so at some point i decided to just get up and start my day
im glad its the weekend so i can catch a nap later if i want
tonight we are frying up some fish
have a great weeeknd brother!