Fertilizer plant explodes near Waco, TX

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
US Geological Survey measured it @ 2.1 magnitude (!) :/

438540-explosion-waco-texas.jpg

Last edited:

Mud Boy

I know this is Texas and they're not too bright, but there was a school and a nursing home right across the street. :crazy: Apparently they didn't learn a thing from the Texas City explosion in the 40's (581 dead). Fucking idiots! I hope they get sued into the stone age, losing a bunch of money is the only thing these motherfuckers understand.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Ah Texas, land of personal liberty, a paradise free of those pesky zoning laws. Within one thousand feet of the fertilizer plant were a middle school, nursing home, and residential homes. Within two thousand feet of the fertilizer plant were a hospital, a high school and many more residences. And the fertilizer plant hadn't been inspected or re-certified in the last five years. Let us celebrate their freedom from government tyranny!

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It would be interesting to see if the fertilizer plant was there first or if the other infrastructure was. Usually industrial-zoned land is pretty widely separated from other uses. I lived in a town that a horse-breeder bought the property next to the police pistol range, which had been in continuous usage for over 40 years, and then sued to have it removed because his horses didn't feel to amorous listening to the gunshots.

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Holy shit!

"Every house within about 4 blocks is blown apart"

And wtf? Near a nursing home and schools? Where I come from, have lived, and live now we have industrial areas for a reason.

And it sounds like the guy getting that footage had at least one kid with him... and sounds like they made it out alive at least for being that close.

Didn't they know there was a risk of explosion as soon as the blaze started?

Be interesting to see how the investigation unfolds. Sounds like someone's getting sued, big time. But I hope the fatality count is low. Im sure soke of those poor people didn't even see it coming. Damn.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow i hope my neem seed meal or alfalfa meal or fish bone meal dont explode

fertilizer is scary stuff after all

Mud Boy

The plant hadn't been inspected by OSHA for 28 years. There were no automatic shutoffs and no firewalls. Heads are gonna roll.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The plant hadn't been inspected by OSHA for 28 years. There were no automatic shutoffs and no firewalls. Heads are gonna roll.

Unless things have changed quite a bit in the last few years, OSHA does not do inspections unless there was a complaint, major injury or death. They have a "voluntary compliance" program where they come in and do inspections when invited, and it's supposed to buy you some slack when someone does get injured.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
oh my god! i just realized~

I HAVE CLOVER PLANTS ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~what if one of them EXPLODES???????

AND, {OMG!} i NEVER been inspected by OSHA!!!

WHAT am I EVER going to DO ??? ~this is literally terrifying

{disclaimer; i shouldnt be having fun @ expense of those suffering from what is truly a disaster ~but this really is symptomatic of society's stupidity/which is what i want to emphasize here}

Last edited:

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Unless things have changed quite a bit in the last few years, OSHA does not do inspections unless there was a complaint, major injury or death. They have a "voluntary compliance" program where they come in and do inspections when invited, and it's supposed to buy you some slack when someone does get injured.

yes, think it is called the VPP...voluntary protection program. i am sure companys that do this save big on insurance as well.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Holy shit!

"Every house within about 4 blocks is blown apart"

And wtf? Near a nursing home and schools? Where I come from, have lived, and live now we have industrial areas for a reason.

And it sounds like the guy getting that footage had at least one kid with him... and sounds like they made it out alive at least for being that close.

Didn't they know there was a risk of explosion as soon as the blaze started?

Be interesting to see how the investigation unfolds. Sounds like someone's getting sued, big time. But I hope the fatality count is low. Im sure soke of those poor people didn't even see it coming. Damn.

Yah when I saw the video the other day I freaked out I was like holy shit and I hope that little girl didn't loos her hearing. I live around 3 hours from Waco. I do feel sad for the ones who lost every thing and those died.

and yes it was a huge bad and stupid idea to build a fertilizer plant and a town in the same area.

watts

ohms
Veteran
wasn't the town where this explosion happened a community of chech's? Thats what the bombing suspects are so I wonder if its related

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There was a guy who was ten yards away from the Boston Bombings and then went home to TX. He was driving through West, Texas when the plant exploded. Close enough that it rocked his car.

Crazy luck.

This plant deal is a damn shame. There shouldn't be anything built around those plants. Ammonia Nitrate and the like is highly explosive given the right conditions.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

you can bet the plant was there first and that the community built around it, standard zoning ordinances would preclude building a plant like that amongst established residential & commercial (not industrial) zoning.

probably happened like this:

Fertilizer plant
Workers homes/housing
Expanded infrastructure (power, leo, city sanitation)
Commercial (retail stores, services etc)
Nursing home might have come last as it finally becomes an aging community

anyway, that's the way I figure it came to be that a town was centered around a frikkin' time bomb.

R.I.P.