What's new

Feeding with Alfalfa

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it doesnt matter. you dont have to aerate, but if you really want to its ok. temperature is also a factor. in summer 5 days isnt needed. 2-3 days is fine, take out what you need. then add more water back up to the top let it steep some more until you need some. this way you dont have to make more everytime. you just add some more to the tea, like a perpetual system almost.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
I use alfalfa straight out of the bag and mix top dressings, it may be hot in quantity but I never have a problem with it. Plants react pretty quick in veg or flower, you can smell the life in the soil blowing up and juicing the plant with every watering.

V

vonforne

I am blending up a new batch this weekend. I bought a new bag of Standlee at the feed store for 12.99 and it guaranteed noxious weed free pure alfalfa. 40#

Swayze

I have some alfalfa/kelp tea brewing now. If I wanted to add a surfactant, I have powdered yucca and horse chestnut, when would be the best time? I'm guessing at the end or I could have a foaming disaster on my hands.

Swayze

I brew my alfalfa in a 1 quart mason jar, with a teaspoon of molasses, about 1/8cup of Alfalfa. 24hrs later I add this to a 5gal bucket, then add another quart of water, 2inch piece of fresh aloe and a teaspoon of Protekt. I literally did this last night and this morning the girls are perking like the homeless in my city.

I also drenched the top of the soil with this mix.

HTH

HaGGarD

PS: I should note if your using Farm Feed alfalfa that their is a good change the pellets are already coated in molasses or beat sugar to bind it together and make it tasty for the animals.

Last edited:
V

vonforne

I have some alfalfa/kelp tea brewing now. If I wanted to add a surfactant, I have powdered yucca and horse chestnut, when would be the best time? I'm guessing at the end or I could have a foaming disaster on my hands.

I started one today. Alfalfa, yucca and Kelp in a 30 gallon tote. Foamed a bit but not too bad. You should have no problems. And when it is done tomorrow I will add Protekt and water in.

V

B

BlueJayWay

Horse chestnut at the END. I turned my back for a couple minutes and there was a trail of foam frothing 10 feet away from the bucket - this was a mountain rose herbs powdered horse chestnut - super saponins!!

Oregonism

I started one today. Alfalfa, yucca and Kelp in a 30 gallon tote. Foamed a bit but not too bad. You should have no problems. And when it is done tomorrow I will add Protekt and water in.

V

Forgive my ignorance but what form is the yucca, dried extract? Just curious, I have some growing in the yard. Time to harvest that bitch and put it to use, thanks!

V

vonforne

Forgive my ignorance but what form is the yucca, dried extract? Just curious, I have some growing in the yard. Time to harvest that bitch and put it to use, thanks!

Yes it is an organic dried extract. I have been using it for years. It is much cheaper than the 200x aloe at 44.00 per ounce. lol

Someone around here was using living yucca but can´t remember who. sorry.

Let us know how it turns out.

Scrappy4

Veteran
If your already making alfalfa meal teas try some as a foliar feed as well. Just strain and dilute it to a light tea color and spray at lights out. After a spray of alfalfa tea in veg I get new growth within two days, like clockwork. After getting the proper dilution I add a little liquid silica and a surfactant' like dr bronners or yucca root powder......scrappy

ickyweed

earlier there was a post on here with a guy that had a bale of alfalfa and he was using a blender to make a meal, does anyone have any experience with a better way to grind a whole bale of alfalfa. I tried to look at feed stores for bags of meal but the look at me funny too. Must be the 30x50 barn full of bales. that's all they grow around me is hey, alfalfa and winter wheat.

al-k-mist

ICKY, try to source ORGANIC nongmo alfalfa. And you can use a 10 dollar coffee grinder, we use that in the lab for various botanicals/leaves/seeds. not practical for hella volume, but will work on several grams of seeds or cactus pieces, should work well for a few handfulls of alfalfa for a tea
Id love a wood chipper this fall, for mulching tree limbs AND chopping ammendments, like crab shells, plants, etc...
crab shells, broken w the rake, seem to be not composting, but no longer smelly either

al-k-mist

Oregonism, what kind of extract do you plan on doing with the yucca root? I am very interested! Id love some, to play around with...maybe when we go to socal...