What's new

Feeding with Alfalfa

MrFista

Veteran
Thanks Dignan.

Nice so far.

Provided what I'm seeing is accelerated plant growth not shortened flowering time it should improve the end results. Will be able to accurately tell what's happening after a run I know the strains well enough to say if the yield increases.

Time will tell.

Got some sprouts in a jar
blender on stand by :)

MrFista

Veteran
Just wondering if the enzymes activated in the first 'soak' that you give alfalfa seeds would help germ other seeds? Anyone?

I'm testing a few beans now, but really don't have the resources or numbers to apply a proper test.

ehonda187

Bump!! Alfalfa rocks......:joint:

Just Brewed me some good Vegging Tea.
Works like a charm.

5 gallons water
1 cup alfalfa meal
1 cup kelp meal
1/2 cup EWC
1TBS Liquid Karma
2TBS Black strap Molasses
Air stones and 7 gallon brew bucket.

Thanks for all the Posts Von!

grapeman

Veteran
So V, once you have the alfalfa tea done (I made it the lazy way w/o air, sitting for 5 days) in a 5 gal bucket, how do you water the plant? Straight? Dilute? How much do you dilute?

I made the 5 gallons of tea, put a gallon of it in another 5 gallon bucket and filled with water (diluted about 4 to 1, water to alfalfa tea). How do you guys do it?

how bout alfalfa grass bought at a pet store? then blended. the pellets i feed my rabbit are for his diet and i dont want to use them

ehonda187

I give it to them straight up. Just leave in mind when you are mixing ingredients that you will be using this straightforward so don't go heavy.

Alfalfa makes good foliar spray as well.
1/2 cup alfalfa meal
1/2 cup kelp meal
sock it and bubble it in 2 gallons of water and you will have a whip ass foliar to feed with in veg.
I follow up spray with plain water the next day or two to wash off residue.

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

i got a bale of alfalfa hay at the feed store, ran it through the blender and i started making tea from it. my peas, radishes, carrots and roses are really taking off!

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
CC1

The next time that you need alfalfa meal, think about getting the product from either place in PDX - it comes from Haystack Farm & Feeds in Eastern Oregon.

It's less than $14.00 for 50 lbs. Organic & non-GMO

It's cheap enough.

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
CC1

The next time that you need alfalfa meal, think about getting the product from either place in PDX - it comes from Haystack Farm & Feeds in Eastern Oregon.

It's less than $14.00 for 50 lbs. Organic & non-GMO

It's cheap enough.

CC
Great prices for a lifetime supply!
That stuff's high octane man. I bought the tiny little Whitney farms box and have barely tapped into it. I make a tea using FISH HYDROLYSATE,alfalfa,acadian kelp,molasses,and EWC. After two days they are greening up again.
I tend to go low on the nitrogen bat guano in the initial mix because I prefer to plant right away and this seems to help prevent burning....as I have had no issues planting directly into my mix without it "cooking".
I'm curious how this next batch of "testers" using your seed meal mix will perform....of course so far there are no issues and I don't expect any.
I want a mix that depletes the nitrogen on purpose about midway or near the end of flowering. This gives me the opportunity to fine tune the mix,as well as experiment with things like alfalfa teas to observe the way they react to it when they need it. "Feeling these girls up" if you will. Not an issue and fun too!

NickMode

Planted with alfalfa this year again in my premixed holes. I say this is defiantly a must have organic ingredient.

V

vonforne

So V, once you have the alfalfa tea done (I made it the lazy way w/o air, sitting for 5 days) in a 5 gal bucket, how do you water the plant? Straight? Dilute? How much do you dilute?

I made the 5 gallons of tea, put a gallon of it in another 5 gallon bucket and filled with water (diluted about 4 to 1, water to alfalfa tea). How do you guys do it?

I generally dilute about 5 to 1 if I am using as a spray. about 3 to 1 with the plant material still in the water.

V

J

JackTheGrower

He Von, I was reading about soil aggregation.

Just and FYI Sodium breaks up the aggregates and Calcium aids in their formation.

LoKey

i can attest alfalfa does do wonderful things i been using for quite awhile now for my garden, and use it as my nitrogen source in my soiless prefertilized mixes for my indoor garden, just need to make a bigger raised tea brewer so i can gravity feed it from a normal hose to water the garden

one thing Ive found is if brewed too long it tends to go sour quick (smell and ph goes very acidic), so i never brew longer than 48hrs

V

vonforne

He Von, I was reading about soil aggregation.

Just and FYI Sodium breaks up the aggregates and Calcium aids in their formation.

So what you are saying is that sodium in minimal amounts is OK? In what amounts Jack? Sodium is present in quite a few things so wouldn´t having it in the Alfalfa be too much?

What is your take? I know you are a long term soil builder.

V

J

JackTheGrower

So what you are saying is that sodium in minimal amounts is OK? In what amounts Jack? Sodium is present in quite a few things so wouldn´t having it in the Alfalfa be too much?

What is your take? I know you are a long term soil builder.

V

I think, and I am learning and like you have suggested avoiding, that there is sodium in the soil and is a part of the natural system.

I know that our Vegetables have high amounts of sodium in them because I used to do large feed-mill sack sized BSF and was processing all the waste from a grocery store. In that I had the BSF analysed by a lab and discovered that Sodium is one thing they test for.

I assume some sodium is a part of life-processes so not having any is probably not a good thing but I still think it should be on the down-low,

So the bottom line here is that it is a part of the soil scene.

How much is too much I don't know but I am using Guinea Pig feed that has salt and Vit. C + Minerals in it in my current compost batch.

So I'll guess that a little isn't as harmful as a lot.

I still am with you in advising to use just alfalfa and not alfalfa w/salt as the predominate source of pellet but it seems that a little isn't exactly harmful.

This assumes a reasonable volume of material to the amount of pellet and in a compost situation.

I still feel it is wiser to use no salt pellet alfalfa in most applications especially in small containers.

It was interesting to note how salt plays a roll in soil aggregates. Notice that I have "Big Balls" <sorry I couldn't resist> and my pellets have salt in them.

So there is always something to learn I see.

Just an FYI..

Latest posts

Latest posts