What's new

Feds reply to Cali Prop 19

Grendelkhan

Well this is what AG Eric Holder has too say about it. We have been over this many times, so Ill just let you guys read it and make of it what you will. I will say this. I wouldn't want to be working at any of the big grows. They are going to throw alot of people under the bus in the next year or so.
Enjoy all.
GKhan.

SAN FRANCISCO – Attorney General Eric Holder says the federal government will enforce its marijuana laws in California even if voters next month make the state the first in the nation to legalize the drug.

The Justice Department strongly opposes California's Proposition 19 and remains firmly committed to enforcing the federal Controlled Substances Act in all states, Holder wrote in a letter to former chiefs of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. The Associated Press obtained a copy of the letter, dated Wednesday.

"We will vigorously enforce the CSA against those individuals and organizations that possess, manufacture or distribute marijuana for recreational use, even if such activities are permitted under state law," Holder wrote.

The attorney general also said that legalizing recreational marijuana in California would be a "significant impediment" to the government's joint efforts with state and local law enforcement to target drug traffickers, who often distribute marijuana alongside cocaine and other drugs.

He said the ballot measure's passage would "significantly undermine" efforts to keep California communities safe.

If Proposition 19 passes in November, California would become the first state to legalize and regulate recreational pot use. Adults could possess up to one ounce of the drug and grow small gardens on private property. Local governments would decide whether to allow and tax sales of the drug.

The state has clashed with federal authorities over marijuana since 1996, when voters approved a first-of-its-kind ballot measure that allowed people to grow and use pot for medical purposes. Thirteen other states and the District of Columbia have legalized medical marijuana.

Under federal law, marijuana is still strictly illegal. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that the federal government has the right to enforce its ban regardless of state law.

During the Bush administration, retail pot dispensaries across the state faced regular raids from federal anti-drug agents. Their owners were sometimes sentenced to decades in prison for drug trafficking.

Yet the medical marijuana industry still grew, and has expanded even more since Holder said last year that federal law enforcement would defer to state laws on using it for medicinal purposes.

Some legal scholars and policy analysts have questioned how much the Justice Department could really do on the ground to halt a state-sanctioned recreational pot trade.
Larger version
Ask America: Learn. Listen. Be heard.

Nearly all arrests for marijuana crimes are made at the state level. Of more than 847,000 marijuana-related arrests in 2008, for example, just over 6,300 suspects were booked by federal law enforcement, or fewer than 1 percent.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
The attorney general also said that legalizing recreational marijuana in California would be a "significant impediment" to the government's joint efforts with state and local law enforcement to target drug traffickers, who often distribute marijuana alongside cocaine and other drugs.

That's the beauty of legalizing, Holder. Nobody will have to go to an illicit street dealer to buy it anymore. So the connection between ILLICIT marijuana and cocaine "and other drugs" will no longer be the only way to obtain it.

This is just political fear mongering.

SuperHemp

What a fucking idiot! How can putting the drug trade in the hands of criminals help keep california safe? Make it legal, eliminate violence, theft and other crimes related to drugs.

Z

ZENARCADE

I'm sure this has been debated but I'm curious. If its not gonna fly and they're gonna crack down on a federal level, will the feds go after the state of California for collecting taxes on it? That's profiteering from the sale of illegal drugs, will the asset seizures reach all the way to any public works that have benefited from the tax? I doubt the Feds would ever go after the state government in California in such a manner, they'll more likely just target people in the inside of the MJ trade, but its something to think about on an ethical level. Will they simply destroy the lives of individual growers/consumers or would they dare take their hunt all the way to the state government. Hmmmmmm.

igrowone

Veteran
pretty much playing out as a lot of us thought it would
the recreational grower becomes the new boogie man and the epitome of evil
so a big rec grow looks like the ticket to federal big house
i know the hard core anti 19's won't change their minds, but they should take note of this
there will be no big recreational canna business for a while, just small growers doing what they're doing now
the small grower is the winner here, both for those that just want to grow their own smoke, and those that keep it under the 100 plant DEA unofficial limit

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
The county sheriff should protect its residents from the feds. Growers in each county should get together and confront the sheriff about protecting them from the feds.

Sheriffs have the legal authority to arrest federal agents within their jurisdiction. The feds need the sheriffs consent to operate within their jurisdiction.

Tell your sheriffs to do their job and you shouldn't have to worry about the feds.

Tela

remember prop 215...

"Federal officials last week vowed to pursue California physicians who recommend marijuana for their patients. Doctors could be excluded from the Medicare and Medicaid programs, lose their licenses to prescribe approved drugs, or face criminal prosecution, U.S. Atty. Gen. Janet Reno warned."

give it a few yrs. same old song and dance.

R

rick shaw

Yea, Tela I remember 215. All those legal challenges to the "poorly written" state sponsored law just strengthened it.They get to deal with pretty much the same judicial figures.All those chicken little's are going to be running around in circles.

VERMI

The county sheriff should protect its residents from the feds. Growers in each county should get together and confront the sheriff about protecting them from the feds.

Sheriffs have the legal authority to arrest federal agents within their jurisdiction. The feds need the sheriffs consent to operate within their jurisdiction.

Tell your sheriffs to do their job and you shouldn't have to worry about the feds.
where did you get this info ? lmao

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran

If anyone is voting on a new Sheriff. I URGE you to contact him/her and ask them. " How will you protect 215 patients, not only from Proscution, but from criminal intent, like robbery etC from growers. Also explain most people who are sick and dying are low income and cant afford to pay out the Butt for medication from clubs. And how important it is, for caregivers and patients to be able to do this for low cost reasons.

Sandnut

Im not against prop 19 but I do not understand how they are gonna stop marijuana from being exported out of the legal area into other states, thats like having mexico in the middle of the us, I hope it will become legal in whole US or they are gonna spend crazy money on "war on drugs"

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Im not against prop 19 but I do not understand how they are gonna stop marijuana from being exported out of the legal area into other states, thats like having mexico in the middle of the us, I hope it will become legal in whole US or they are gonna spend crazy money on "war on drugs"

They, being the state, isn't going to do SHIT. AS it is NOW CA produces better weed than MX and is already in the USA and DOES ship TONS of weed around the country.

CA will still be doing its thing with or without 19 and the PIGS will do what they do, but if TONS of this are smoked every month isn't it really like alcohol prohibition? Isn't the government more culpable than the grower, and won't the bowls continue to be filled despite or BECAUSE of the pigs?

:joint:

igrowone

Veteran

i think you summarized it pretty nicely, and this is partly why Holder is talking it up, getting pretty funny actually
as a prior poster mentioned, same weak stuff was talked up by Reno
it's getting out of control from their point of view
and if they don't like it, it's probably a good thing for the people here

ibjamming

Veteran
The feds sure have been pushing their luck lately...bailouts, mandatory health ins, now going after a state who's people have decided that they would like to enjoy one of natures bounty... I didn't see "banning Gods creatures" anywhere in the Constitution under responsibilities of the federal government.

In fact, it seems to me that they DON'T do what the Constitution charges them with...but they sure do a lot of what isn't their responsibility.

Fucking "general welfare" clause...as bad as "a corporation is an individual...a "person"...with all the legal rights thereof". The day I learned that...was the day of my epiphany! It's ALL fucking rigged. I guess that day SHOULD have been the day I realized they lied about Santa Claus. They're both about as hard to figure out. I guess I'm a little slow a some things.

This is the problem with government...they're always trying to tell you how to live.

What does give the feds the right to ban a plant? What's the constitutionality of that? I've never seen any reasoning giving the federal government the power to ban living things...non dangerous living things. Yes, I understand why I can't have a grizzly bear in my backyard...but a plant? I swear, I'll grow one that doesn't stink...like skunk.

I've asked before...where is the SCOTUS on this? Why can't a free person of sane mind enjoy a recreational buzz? You let me have beer and wine. You let me do shots! But I can't smoke a joint?

It should be argued as cruel and unusual punishment, not befitting the danger to society. Come on, growing a plant is worth 5 years? At $50,000 a year...$250,000 spent to "punish" someone for growing a harmless plant. If you don't smoke it, it won't do anything to anyone.

We've been sold out to the corporations. The corporations ARE the government. The players move freely between them. They're partners, friends, they're the same thing. Business uses government..."law"...to make money. Government is owned by business.

It's the way it is...the SCOTUS is owned by big business...that's why these draconian laws exist. There are many obscene laws. It's all fixed and you can't change it. It's a shame.

The government WILL get their way. Big operations will get shut down, but CA will turn a blind eye to the small guy. No changes from now. It will go to court like AZ with the border issues.

Maybe the govt will determine it's not worth the fight? But the drug war is such big business in itself. Look at the unemployed when 800,000 people are no longer being arrested. It's similar to the IRS and any tax overhaul...what are these millions of tax professionals supposed to do? Unemployment is already high... What are all these agents to do without Cannabis arrests?

I never understood the CA position...legalize for tax money? If everyone can...and most probably will, grow...how much did they plan on making? "Free", homegrown weed will be everywhere. Where is the money supposed to come from? Stores? Are they going to allow sale in stores?

The Pigs Will Not Abandon their Trough

The Pigs Will Not Abandon their Trough

Not willingly. Barrack Obama does not care about stoners.

"We will vigorously enforce the CSA against those individuals and organizations that possess, manufacture or distribute marijuana for recreational use, even if such activities are permitted under state law," Holder wrote.

He said the ballot measure's passage would "significantly undermine" efforts to keep California communities safe.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
heh cali will have dea street police lol..... what a joke go away DEA!!!!