What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

farmerlions first greenhouse grow

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
WOW! Is it hot and humid today. I'm glad I got up at O'dark30 and give the girls some water. Fans blowing, door open 9am and it's almost 100f. On location getting my ass kicked by the weather and we haven't even started yet. The girls will drink all of 30 gallons tonight and still want more. Have a great day. Peace

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi farmerlion,

Your healthy plants talk by themselves! I can feel all the hard job and passion you are dedicating to your garden this season! :huggg:

Honestly, i'm very excited with the range of different genetics that you are growing, the line up is so wide and interesting that i cannot resist to comment about each one.

The Kali China x Malawi is clearly showing dominant sativa traits, so it should be a great producer and very potent as well, i love the branching she already has.

The structure of your Nepal Jam x Kali China are a bit more on the Nepal Jam side by now in growing stage, we will see in flowering.

The Angola x Kali China is showing the african sativa branching of the angolese, with the extra stoutness from Kali China.

The mexicans from Bodhi are looking very nice as well, the zipolite oaxacan is a more tamed kind of modern mexican while the Acapulco Gold shows older classic sativa traits like thinner stems and thiner leaves of lighter color.

The Golden Tiger is already a real nice bush, with the potential to grow and yield a lot! ;)

The China Yunnan with purple colors is a sign that has good influence from the most interesting and strongest China Yunnan hashplant pheno, with a bit of sativa influence too (China yunnan has some sativa phenos as well).

Zamaldelica x Kali China are healthy sativa/indica bushes as they should be :)

The Orient Express x Nepal Jam hybrid is already showing the great vigor that this new hybrid has, it has the potential to yield A LOT!

The genetics from the other seedbanks are looking super healthy and happy too, like all the ACE strains you are growing.

Can't wait to see the first early flowering strains starting to flower now in August.
Thanks for all the updates friend! :)

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Dubi, Thank you. Your passion is very influential and contagious. I have stated since the beginning of this project of constructing and growing in a greenhouse. It's a huge learning curve and chance to gain knowledge. One thing that is obvious in this process this year is that I planted to early. I had 11 plants that had out grown their height available. Certainly being to tall before flowering starts. Instead of configuring multiple types of restraint in limited space. With only two to three weeks before natural flowering starts and a plant having time to recover physically. I decided to top the 11 plants. One plant I topped was showing male pre sex. It was the tallest of the two Michoacán Cream's. I will eventually cull this plant. I was interested to see how it coped at this late stage of topping. The plants I was having concerns with were the (Queen Mother both plants, Michoacán Cream one male, Destroyer both plants, Acapulco Gold both plants, Guawi one plant, NepJam x Kali China one plant, Kali China x Malawi, Purple Mexican both plants). For the strains I topped both plants. I will lose the opportunity to compare single cola growth compared to double topped cola growth. (quantity of bud comparison). I felt topping during vegetative growth was the lesser of two evils. Compared to having to top during flowering. I want the plants to be as stress free as possible at that time. The next weeks forecast has only one real warm day predicted. The balance of the forecast is to be in the mid 70's f. I went with it now right or wrong. It was hard to top the largest Guawi. It did have some useable room left. I felt it was also the right one to do the topping comparison with. Either way the plant will still produce nicely. Most of the tops I cut were 1 1/2' to 2' tall each. I did dip them in clonex and placed then in a bag of soil through a small hole in side of bag. I have no desire to see these plants through in growth. I mainly just felt bad for topping them. (live or die) Myself I prefer to support Ace with more seed purchases instead of cloning plants. Well anyway that's what happened here today. Peace

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Topped plants

Topped plants

The NepJam x Kali China.

Both Acapulco Gold plants.
This is an after picture of the topped plants. I rubbed some Clonex on the top cut area of each meristem. I don't know that this is the right thing to do. I figured it would hold moisture better and maybe help with stress from injury to plant. Right or wrong I will babysit the girls and nurture them the best of my abilities before flowering starts. :tiphat: Peace

ULMW

Farmerlion, Topping will be fine you are going to be happy. Often happens in nature where something like a goat chews a head off a plant or such like. Da plants will recover and get new heads and be lovely managable herb bushes.
Happy growing!

deepwaterdude

Farmerlion, Topping will be fine you are going to be happy. Often happens in nature where something like a goat chews a head off a plant or such like. Da plants will recover and get new heads and be lovely managable herb bushes.
Happy growing!

Agree with the above, no worries. The greenhouse looks great!

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Thanks ULMW, Deepwaterdude. Thanks again guys. I'm sure that the girls will be fine as well. I'm curious to see the difference between the plants. Welcome to growing not everything goes as planned. Peace

orfeas

Veteran
hey farmer, imho topping does no harm whatsoever to those wild sativas...on the contrary it somewhat "infuriates" them and makes them burlier and bushier... :biggrin: see what's happened with my PxM in the trough... :)

your patch is almost(if not) immaculate!

:tiphat:Orfeas

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
8-3-17 notes & updates

8-3-17 notes & updates

Hello all, Today was interesting to say the least. The plants that were topped are all stress free in appearance anyway. What else was cool is the NepJam x Kali China, They are gaining more color all the time. The meristem, branches, stems and veins are all turning deep burgundy and purple. While leaf colors are still remaining green. I look forward to them in flower and cooler temperatures.

None of the 11 plants topped have any signs of growth from cut area. That the plants are all stress free is cause for celebration in my world.

Orfeas, Thank you for your kind words my friend. When I get done making entries here. I will go back through your thread again for a closer look at the girls. Peace

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Peyote Purple observations today.

Peyote Purple observations today.

This may seem very mundane to some but I found it quite interesting myself. While taking notes on the two Peyote Purple plants today. I noticed some things I never had in the past on other plants. They may or may not have expressed, but I didn't look deep enough to notice them. From 7-3 to 8-3-17. The PP went from 7 nodes to 13 nodes of growth. Node 9 was uniform in structure and lined up across from each other. 10, 11, 12, 13 are offset from each other. Below the offset nodes are 8 leaf sets with a weird wavy pattern to the fan leaves. Above the 9th node the wavy pattern stops but the leaf sets gained 2 leafs and are now 10 leaf sets. Also on plant A" the meristem is dry to the touch on lower 9 nodes but sticky on the top 4 nodes and smelled of chemicals or glue.

Plant B" the smaller of the two on the right. At the 8th node the symmetrical growth stops and the offset growth starts. Nodes 9, 10 and 11 are offset. Like plant A" the lower meristem is dry to the touch but the upper is sticky and smells of chemicals and / or glue.
While 7 leaf sets are common on the lower nodes. 9 leaf sets appear on the offset nodes and there isn't any leaf waves or deformation in the new growth.

I've noticed offset nodes in the past but never paid attention to any other charictoristics of the plants. Well it entertained me today. I thought I would share it here to see if anyone else had come across this before on same or other genetics. Peace :tiphat:

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Sorry for the blurry picture above. It was hard to keep the leaves out of the picture. Some of the nodes have a wider separation but I didn't take pictures of everything. Peace

Borderliner

farmerlion my understanding is it is a mark of plant maturity when have off set nodes. I usually notice the nodes start offsetting maybe around 7th wk from seed. Probable depends on strain but don't have any notes on it.

gorilla ganja

Hello all, Today was interesting to say the least. The plants that were topped are all stress free in appearance anyway. What else was cool is the NepJam x Kali China, They are gaining more color all the time. The meristem, branches, stems and veins are all turning deep burgundy and purple. While leaf colors are still remaining green. I look forward to them in flower and cooler temperatures.

You may have a "special" plant there. They where just talking about red stems and keeper plants over in the Honduras thread.
Seems there may be a link between red colored stems and resin production or it may just be a coincidence but keep an eye on that one and maybe get a couple clones before it's to far into flower.

Peace GG

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73203&pictureid=1770131&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73203&pictureid=1770130&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

None of the 11 plants topped have any signs of growth from cut area. That the plants are all stress free is cause for celebration in my world.

Orfeas, Thank you for your kind words my friend. When I get done making entries here. I will go back through your thread again for a closer look at the girls. Peace

Hi farmerlion,

The new and improved Nepal Jam x Kali China version was bred using a purple Nepal jam mother and a purple kali China parental plant so the purple colors are very common in this new version of the hybrid.

I would not top at this time of the year the indica and indica dominant strains as they should be about to start the flowering outdoors, and if you top them now you will delay the flowering of your more indica dominant strains, and they won't have enough time to reacto to the topping with a proper new growth before the flowering.

Have a great weekend! :tiphat: dubi

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Dubi, Thank you for the information. I did top 1 of the 2 kali China plants. I planted to early. I was out of room for them to flower. Topping wasn't part of my plans at all. Next season some genetics will wait until mid June to germinate. The two plants are very similar in structure. It will be a good side by side comparison. Peace

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Well now it has started on a small scale. The NepJam x Kali China, Golden Tiger, Zamaldelica x Kali China, Michoacán Cream, China Yunnan. Have all started pushing pistils out in the last two days. I've been busy at work. I'm guessing they just popped out yesterday. I took pictures and all of them are blurry. I will try and figure out which setting I moved. The pistils are barely noticeable with the eye on some. The NepJam x Kali China has small clusters forming on both plants. One of the two plants was topped. I thought I had more time before flowering started. Guess not? Dubi, you were right again my friend. (Be careful about topping Indica genetics this late in the summer). How prophetic that turned out to be two days later. Peace

Last edited:
G

Hey brother!Fantastic journal from the beginning ,VERY detailed and vivid descriptions .Love it.:)Sounds like the countdown for the blastoff has started!Can't wait !:tiphat:

Last edited:

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Hey Syd, Thanks for stopping by again brother. I could use your skill with a camera right now. I was trying to find the macro mode. Then I didn't know how to get it back to whatever mode it was in before. So no pictures until I find a 12 year old that can school me on electronics. The Lilly x MaPettit is gearing up to explode shortly. She has new growth forming everywhere. The Malawi(pink hair) x MaPettit hasn't started yet. The Oaxacan, Acapulco Gold and Purple Mexican look like they will have pistils by the end of the week. It would be helpful if the local weather man actually knew his job. Trying to decide which vents are open, which fans are on is a challenge. I'm trying to keep everything consistent right now. Many leave are dropping, some are turning but attached strongly still. Well, I have to get back up in a few hours for another job time for my ass to get some sleep. Have a great week. Peace

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
8-12 Updates

8-12 Updates

Hello my friends, Flowering has started on several of the plants. My photography skillsets are less than desirable. On most the hairs are formed but not in clusters yet. Overall health of the girls is very good. The aroma's are increasing and the cooler nights are starting to express in color. (subtle changes)
This NepJam x Kali China is the only plant with clusters of pistils forming buds. She was also the first to show pistils.
The Malawi (pink hair) x MaPettit. This plant is dark green in color. It's very dark looking compared to the Malawi x Kali China. This plant is a vibrant lime green almost chartreuse.
Malawi x Kali China.
These are the Guawi's. Taken from two different angles. It's getting harder to get full pictures as the room is filling up. They are developing pistils at a multitude of bud sites. These plants are quickly becoming some of my favorite genetics. Peace