What's new

Fall Foliage

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whoa!...I've seen Flo do that,and some Blueberry's and Bubbleberry's,but I have never seen foxtails looking like that.......They look like rope....Amazing pic V Whooops,forgot to quote it.

yes its an odd one - probably the thai genetics are more pronounced that most Blueberries

just to show that cold temps arent the main factor in the foliage turning those fall colours, here is my Blueberry once again in my greenhouse - the cold temps turned the green leaves this colour.
also a good example of how phenotype, being the expression of the genetics in relationship to it's environment, can change when you grow the same cut in different places
picture.php

V.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
not sure, i think it's anthocyanin that is produced as a kind of anti-freeze. there has to be the right genes to get this. others may just die back as they arent as frost hardy?

V.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
not sure, i think it's anthocyanin that is produced as a kind of anti-freeze. there has to be the right genes to get this. others may just die back as they arent as frost hardy?

V.
When I lived in the far north I developed a strain that could withstand 14 degrees for a limited period of time. It got so cold so early I had to do something. The frost could come as early as late Sept.,it took 3 years to finally work out some genetics that I didn't have to worry about. Anyway,as soon as the temps dropped,it turned from green to a dark maroon red OVERNIGHT! The antifreeze factor was in full swing with these babies. I remember waking up to find all the buds covered in ice from freezing rain,the sun came out and melted the ice,the leaves sprang up and turned to the light.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The purple-ist plant I ever saw was an outdoor grown plant in Bliss, Idaho circa 1998.. Bliss is about 5000ft elevation down by the Snake River, and evenings get a bit chilly even in summer. Locals called the strain 'blisstic' and said it had been that color for generations. The dried bud was so purple it was basically black. The plant I saw was a great example of the combination of the right genes with the right environment.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
The purple-ist plant I ever saw was an outdoor grown plant in Bliss, Idaho circa 1998.. Bliss is about 5000ft elevation down by the Snake River, and evenings get a bit chilly even in summer. Locals called the strain 'blisstic' and said it had been that color for generations. The dried bud was so purple it was basically black. The plant I saw was a great example of the combination of the right genes with the right environment.
Funny,I was in N.Idaho @ the time.....perhaps some genetic mingling? I finished work on my frost hardy strain in 2001.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
incidentally, plants (in general) are much less likely to be damaged by frost when they dont catch the early morning sun. you want any frosted bits to thaw out slowly - because the cells are much more likely to rupture and cause damage if they warm up too quickly

V.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey Von how did the other plant turn out? was the purpling the same or less?

Container size- 100 liter....no drain or flush :)
Strain- G13\HP X Triple Moonshine
Day 72 from onset of flowers.

1\2 had the purps and 1\2 does not.

What is the cause?

picture.php

And the only thing I flush is the toilet!!

V

V

vonforne

Less to none. I cut the darker plants yesterday. I am going t let the others go for anoter week but I don´t think that the will turn at all. Just turn yellow like the parent plants did in the last run.

Competing nutrients?

Difference in pheno?

V

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
interesting. were the buds still a little smaller on the non-purple one?
if so i would still say that pheno used less P in its end of the tub and so you didnt get such pronounced brown/purple colouring which i think is at least partly due to P def.

V.

mad librettist

Veteran
Would there be a way to test if the purple was always there and the green disappeared? Like a light with no green spectrum?

My blue Burmese has consistently purple stems, as long as it's mature. New shoots turn purple as soon as they get woody. And I'm pretty sure it has all the P it needs based on flowering.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
purple stems are slightly different than leaves i think and some strains have them naturally - whilst in others it is the first sign of PK hungriness.

mad librettist

Veteran
But what I'm wondering is if the purple is always there and is just not as loud as the green. On the stems maybe I have less green to be louder than purple?

Basically the difference between is purple and looks purple.

V

vonforne

interesting. were the buds still a little smaller on the non-purple one?
if so i would still say that pheno used less P in its end of the tub and so you didnt get such pronounced brown/purple colouring which i think is at least partly due to P def.

V.

The buds are smaller on a couple branches and not a firm. I had top dressed with pelleted P guano early in flowering also.

It could be competing for root space of he fungi was not as active in that part of the tray.

Basically the difference between is purple and looks purple.

Our Mandela 1 was lavender. My BlueGod was purple in the stems always and this one just looked purple for some reason.

but I may never know why. That round of clones are done and it is SSH time.

Sorry to highjack the thread ML.

V

mad librettist

Veteran
I never understood "thread ownership". I started this thread to stimulate conversation, and of course to show some organic plants finishing like they were flushed.

That was my failed seed grow. Yield was superb for two little plantlets. And in such tiny containers, with no feeding (ok, very occasional fish hydrolysate, and had worms living in the pots). I chopped one only halfway, and the bottom buds are now growing. Some failure! I got nice buds, nice shots, and great conversation.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I never understood "thread ownership". I started this thread to stimulate conversation, and of course to show some organic plants finishing like they were flushed.

That was my failed seed grow. Yield was superb for two little plantlets. And in such tiny containers, with no feeding (ok, very occasional fish hydrolysate, and had worms living in the pots). I chopped one only halfway, and the bottom buds are now growing. Some failure! I got nice buds, nice shots, and great conversation.
Well...........conversation took flight because of it,and we got to see your cheesy little plants MJ....Kidding. I do think that on smaller grows it is a good idea to trim off the top buds when they mature. This way it leaves the smaller under developed lower buds to get some extra light and fatten up. You can go another week at the very least with this method...maybe two.

DARC MIND

Veteran
didnt want to start a new thread but any ways
heres a little test your skills on IDing problem by leaf discoloration
whats wrong with this plant??

it was in LC mix, reused after a successful grow. i didnt amend it, let soil cure or anything just started a seed in the used soil & let it ride.
she started to show signs of problems around a few weeks in

can any one ID the problem???
by the way the plant is fine now, she is green and happy. just want to see what other growers whould diagnose this as and how they would fix it.
i dont have any prizes for those who guess right but i will give K...
good luck