What's new

Extinction by Hybridization: The Cannabis Biodiversity Crisis

troutman

Seed Whore
^^^ I think commercial growers like short plants they can stack together like sardines.
Huge branching plants are not what they want. I don't think it has anything to do with
the quality of the end product. The faster they turn it out is what they care about.

Dankwolf

^^^ I think commercial growers like short plants they can stack together like sardines.
Huge branching plants are not what they want. I don't think it has anything to do with
the quality of the end product. The faster they turn it out is what they care about.

I think its abou flowering time and compact out of state shipment .

Back i. The day we payed less for dens nugs

MindEater

I think KionaTHC is the only one who supplies long flowering varieties to the dispensaries.

Googled em, first thing I saw was "cold cured". Keeping up with old school tradition I see.

Wtf does no one understand curing anymore? Curing is going reaching 'myth' status rather quickly.

J-Icky

Googled em, first thing I saw was "cold cured". Keeping up with old school tradition I see.

Wtf does no one understand curing anymore? Curing is going reaching 'myth' status rather quickly.

This has been going on for over 20 years in the illicit commercial scene. I remember in the late 90s/early 2000s everything had that fresh cut smell and taste and was barely half dried so they could use the wet stickiness as a selling point.
Heck I’m my neck of prohibitionland it’s harder to sell cured product. Everyone cares more about bag appeal than actual quality. They want those fresh bright green buds over a properly cured bud that may have lost some of the “pop” from its color. Obviously not everyone but the majority want the hyped stuff with great bag appeal over good quality and even higher potency.

BearCreekFarms

This has been going on for over 20 years in the illicit commercial scene. I remember in the late 90s/early 2000s everything had that fresh cut smell and taste and was barely half dried so they could use the wet stickiness as a selling point.
Heck I’m my neck of prohibitionland it’s harder to sell cured product. Everyone cares more about bag appeal than actual quality. They want those fresh bright green buds over a properly cured bud that may have lost some of the “pop” from its color. Obviously not everyone but the majority want the hyped stuff with great bag appeal over good quality and even higher potency.

That can be a big problem. Hold the weed back, cure it, and school em up. They will learn, if you show them.

ahortator

Veteran
I have seen youngsters rejecting Thai buds due to the looks and the lack of skunky smell, until the point to refuse smoke them. Pretty insane but true.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
It doesn't help when people like StrainHunters give people seeds from their company after they got Landraces from them.

I suspect they did that to forever ruin the genetics. :mad:

Not all the strainhunters did that though...on the ground its different, one has done his best to try and preserve landraces in the deep hills..and still is..one has to remember also that the farmers/growers in these areas are not unlike us and want to grow the best available to them so kudos the the one strainhunter that is trying his best..it involves an entire framework, a market for the products derived from the local landraces, unpolluted, and for the future a legal framework and market place that does not require gmp or such protocols for production, or else they will get swept up in industrial or hybrid cannabis..but as much as i used to be not a great strainhunter fan, still not, still not a fan of A, even seeing as he has used people and left them in the lurch after all the money he has made..though there are good people there in them strain hunters, who selectively hand out seeds in areas already growing hybrids, and in areas unpolluted try their best to keep it that way and provide for a future of it..they work hard at trying to preserve. I have personally seen the results of and can vouch for, not a strainhunter thing but one individuals thing, with no greenhouse euros to support, deep in the hills, surviving on the goodwill of others, hard at work..i take my hat off, to put the record straight. Chi and others, will get these beans of these landraces too to help preserve, its already been conspired..lol as well some areas strainhunters got to and they were already growing better hybrids than they brought to hand out..you can thank export markets, hungry farmers and US sponsored glycosphate spraying for that, landraces long wiped out..sorry A we got there before you lol..cup winning stuff ey, thats what he said..yeah meat is meat and people had to eat. And sure beans got handed out by the strainhunters, maybe to pollute...but there are good folks in among that were and still are working tirelessly to preserve and help the growers of them. Way more than any of us keyboard warriors.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
I have seen youngsters rejecting Thai buds due to the looks and the lack of skunky smell, until the point to refuse smoke them. Pretty insane but true.

Their loss! I had some primo SSSDH, that was chunky and solid and caked but did not have the bag appeal of the new age stuff and i had mates turn down gifts of buds, lol snobs, until one phoned me back saying wtf was that crazy weed he just smoked!? Heart palpitations, hours of rollercoaster rocket ride..lol and that is very much a hybrid..let them all come around slowly..

grayeyes

If you want to see how bad this situation has become please visit strainly.com. More garbage hybrids than can be imagined.

Starwea

Hi

Hi

As the stock of rsc is limited and it is not allowed to exchange seeds here, and the exchange of seeds is what keeps the rare varieties alive, haven't you thought about creating a page to buy and sell and / or exchange rare varieties? , and if that exists, could you tell me where please. :RE

regseeds

hybridization is far and away the biggest cause of biodiversity loss in Cannabis

above all, introducing non-native seed to Asia

Thinking out loud, woulnd't the triploid tek, socioecologist recently mentioned solve this problem.

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕ 🦫
^What's triploidy going to do? That's straight genetic mutation.

regseeds

^What's triploidy going to do? That's straight genetic mutation.

Farmer can have a harvest without open pollination from hybrids. What are the downsides that concern you?

One or Other at this point, unless you have any other ideas to bring forth.....